Cheap voice nav and high quality sound solution old iPhone + in ear headphones

Thread: Cheap voice nav and high quality sound solution old iPhone + in ear headphones

Cheap voice nav and high quality sound solution old iPhone + in ear headphones

Been running an iPod for music then one of my clients offered me a 3g for $100.

So downloaded

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/navfr...405922167?mt=8

VERSION 1.9.x HAS MAPS AND ADDRESS DATABASE INSTALLED ON DEVICE SO INTERNET CONNECTION IS NOT REQUIRED TO USE CORE FEATURES*.

free voice nav application.

Put on my music on.

Don't even need the phone on a plan.

Voice comes over the music nicely - still use my scala for i/o calls.

Voice nav is very clear through the i5 Ultimate Ears.

Also tried the Mapquest which has independent volume for the voice nav which might prove useful and the CAA one but both require a network connection.

Still exploring the variations but there a lot of older iphones around for mess than a GPS with voice Nav and you get all the advantages of the music control. Works for me.

Music plus Nav on the in ear earphones.

Phone in and out on the scala via the in helmet speakers.

The Utimate ears aside from lovely sound offer 23 db ambient noise supression.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 09-07-2011 at 06:23 PM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Re: Cheap voice nav and high quality sound solution old iPhone + in ear headphones

Hmmm slight error in assessment - GPS appears not to work without and internet/phone hook up...that sucks but will sort that - the music and the voice nav works.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Re: Cheap voice nav and high quality sound solution old iPhone + in ear headphones

Ahhh it does work - I just have to download the maps into the iPhone.

how do you download the maps to the app? i can't seem to find that option...

Updated this thread now

This is the app you want and it downloads the maps when you DL the app

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/navfr...405922167?mt=8

VERSION 1.9.x HAS MAPS AND ADDRESS DATABASE INSTALLED ON DEVICE SO INTERNET CONNECTION IS NOT REQUIRED TO USE CORE FEATURES*.
    The Burgman has a convenient spot to stick th iPhone in without a bracket and theNav just knocks the music down while it gives directions.
    Note it can have a delay = not sure what causes it - was not bad on the bike but was off on the care by about 1/2 mile.
    Still playing with it but cheap way to get a bunch of useful functions - there will be lots available as more iPhones are released.

You can't get a gps with this screen quality anywhere near the price ( if at all ) and of course there are many other uses.

GPS use eats battery tho so next thing is to get a power source hooked up with a USB out.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 09-07-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Still working on a solution that is cheap and useful and came across Skobbler Forever Map.....

The app costs $2.99 but the maps are free and downloadable into either

The maps are here

http://www.skobbler.net/download/forevermap/iphone

The app is here

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/forev...424183595?mt=8

Description

ForeverMap by Skobbler is the most advanced offline maps solution available on iOS. Fully interactive city and state maps, covering all of North America, with you always, whether you’re online or offline. The maps, provided by OpenStreetMap (“the Wikipedia of maps”), are evolving every day as users continue to contribute to the growing platform. With ForeverMap by Skobbler, the OpenStreetMap is never more than a few swipes away!

Address search, location finder, route calculation and loads of information on places of interest provided by Wikipedia, are just a few of ForeverMap’s key features - all of which are fully functional WITHOUT a data connection!

Offline orientation means you’ll never again be dependant on a data connection to get to where you want to go. No more roaming charges. No more waiting around for maps to load. Just rich, dependable, reliable maps whenever you need them, on any device. In addition to being a complete iPhone mapping solution, ForeverMap also turns iPod touches and Wi-Fi iPads into fully-fledged mapping devices!

To get started, hop on a WiFi network, download as many city or state maps as you’d like, and use them anywhere and everywhere - all without ever worrying about staying connected. Because of advanced map compression technology, you can easily store several state or even country maps on your device for unlimited and unconnected map access!
    there is more on the link.

Ongoing search for a low cost comm solution - came across this for voice dial on the iPhone 3g which lacks built in voice - the engine on this looks better than built in anyways so should be good for motorcycle purpose.

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/voice...295878175?mt=8

so far works like a charm with the Blue Parrot head set will likely be okay on the Scala which then gives me the voice directions, plus music, plus phone with voice dial.
    Does require a touch on the screen while speaking but that is not an issue as it moves forward on it's own after that with no further touch input.

touch and hold the big fat button at the top of the screen and say the contact name and it dials

no fuss

have a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlh_VpCn8cY&NR=1

Finally bailed on Ma Bell as my old Motorola was the only one that worked properly with voice dial but this VoiceBox lets me combine the GPS, iTunes and the Scala phone incoming together and with a bar mount can dial out by touch.
    Saved $100 a month and gives me options for cheap US sim deals. Should be lots of iPhones on the market cheap when the new one launches

Interested in others who use the iPhone as a GPS.