Labour Day Weekend Ride... 4-6 days

Thread: Labour Day Weekend Ride... 4-6 days

Labour Day Weekend Ride... 4-6 days

I'm doing one of three rides this upcoming weekend leaving Saturday early morning. I can't take Friday off work, but I would be open to leaving Friday afternoon although the thought of Friday afternoon traffic doesn't sound appealing. I have a bit more flexibility on the return date. I was planning on tenting it along the way (though I'm open to motels), and buying my food along the way.

I ride quick but not stupid. I obey speed limits in small towns. I have a Scala. I was going to wait until closer to the weekend to decide on which route to do (based on weather and stuff) - but as long as I do one of them I'm happy. I ride a V-Strom 650.

PM or post up if you're interested. Must be comfortable with longer days on the bike.

1) Gaspe (3800km 4-5 days) - via New York, Vermont, Maine, up around Gaspe and then back along the south shore of the St. Lawrence.
    Probable Route

2) North shore of St. Lawrence (4800km - maybe 6 days for this one) - to Natashquan (QC), up to Manic Cinq and back down, up the Saguenay to Chicoutimi and then south through Mont-Tremblant, Mont-Laurier, Pembroke, then home through the area south of Algonquin.
    Probable Route

3) North shore of Lake Superior (3800km 4-5 days) - via Manitoulin, Espanola out to Thunder Bay, then head back via Chapleau, Timmins, New Liskeard, North Bay, then home via the Muskoka's.
    Probable Route

Cheers!
    Last edited by shanekingsley; 08-29-2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Edited Route 1 & 3 to make it bettah
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Why not come to WV with us?
    But I like route #1
    Last edited by boooya; 08-27-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Re: Labour Day Weekend Ride... 4-6 days

I know and I was thinking about it. It's just that these are places I've wanted to go to for a long time so I just wanted to cross one off the list. I've already been to WV before and it's got fantastic roads and riding with you guys would also be awesome too...

If for any reason I decide not go do one of these routes, then riding out to WV with you guys would be next for me for sure. We'll see what happens over the course of the week. Thanks though

Shane route one looks awesome, Good idea for a trip next year. I agree with Claudio you should come with us to WV lots of great roads to explore.

North shore of Superior is a ride I've wanted to do for some time. Unfortunately I can't ride it Labour Day Weekend. I'm thinking mid September perhaps when the kids are back in school. You're really putting some mileage on this past year! Myself - not so much...

Route 1 it is, but I'll maybe take a ferry from Matane, QC to the north shore and then ride up to Chicoutimi and around and down through Mont Tremblant and Mont Laurier.

I hear there's free spots to pitch a tent all along the south shore of the St Lawrence...

I don't have a big touring history, but I can say that gas stations can be few and far between on secondary roads (hell, on the trans-can there's a few 100+ km stretches without stations). Just thought I'd point out the gas issue. I assume you're probably already aware, but it never hurts to remind.
    (I get about 225 km a tank, so it's something I always have to keep an eye on)

Thanks for the reminder. I get about 350kms a tank - even when riding spirited, so I don't worry too much. As long as there is gas every 300km I'm good, considering I'll be stopped each night before dark too.

Well looks like I am going on the Lake Superior ride now because another rider from another forum is joining up. Apparently some of the roads out east have been washed up a bit from the heavy rains... Gaspe will have to wait for another day.