ferrying a new bike - considerations?

Thread: ferrying a new bike - considerations?

Question ferrying a new bike - considerations?

So my friend bought a new bike, 600cc against my recommendations w/e but at least he got a 1997 F3 so if the smokes it less damage to his wallet.

Now he's realized he doesn't want to ride it from Barrie to Kingston because he has no experience and asked me to ferry the bike for him. I have 13 000 KM on a GS500F this year (from May) about 9000 of which are highway km's. What considerations should I be taking? I am 21 years Old, 165 lbs, 175cm, and wear ATGATT.

IE- Stay away from him, insurance, or if you think it's do-able differences I will experience between my bike and his and how to handle it.

Re: ferrying a new bike - considerations?

Quote Originally Posted by DSoup View Post
    So my friend bought a new bike, 600cc against my recommendations w/e but at least he got a 1997 F3 so if the smokes it less damage to his wallet.

Now he's realized he doesn't want to ride it from Barrie to Kingston because he has no experience and asked me to ferry the bike for him. I have 13 000 KM on a GS500F this year (from May) about 9000 of which are highway km's. What considerations should I be taking? I am 21 years Old, 165 lbs, 175cm, and wear ATGATT.

IE- Stay away from him, insurance, or if you think it's do-able differences I will experience between my bike and his and how to handle it.
    Well, the insurance is the main thing. If you're feeling comfortable riding that bike, that's fine, but what happens if you get into accident? Rent a van or if you have a SUV with a hitch, rent a $15 U-Haul trailer, buy ratcheting harnesses, front harness (like Canyon Dancer) and transport the bike. If you don't want to do that, you can always call the moving companies like MotoLimo, kneedragger88 (Ken, on this forum), etc. and get the move the bike for you.
    Personally, I wouldn't touch that bike without the insurance (your insurance most likely won't cover the other bike, and his insurance won't cover you on his bike).

If the bike is insured and liscened the insurance covers anyone who rides it. If you feel uneasy trailer it, if you are not sure of the mechanical condition etc. trailer it. If you feel good about your skill and ride of this length you could ride it. The bike will be like a slightly more powerful version of your GS no big deal. it sounds like you are looking for reasons not to ride it and you should go with your gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    it sounds like you are looking for reasons not to ride it and you should go with your gut.
    +1

I have an SV650S and a friend needed his CBR600RR driven to him which was 2.5-3 hours away. Totally different bikes in my opinion.
    I had no issues to ride his bike, but I didn't end up doing it because after riding his bike to him, I had no way to get back home other than taking a greyhound bus, which would take even longer thus wasting my entire day.

Uhaul has really nice motorcycle trailers for 15$ a day.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    If the bike is insured and liscened the insurance covers anyone who rides it.
    Doesn't it just cover anyone the owner allows to ride it? I.e., if the bike gets stolen the insurance doesn't cover the thief, does it?
    2007 Black/Silver GS500F, naked, 0.80kg/mm Sonic Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by bombshelter13 View Post
    Doesn't it just cover anyone the owner allows to ride it? I.e., if the bike gets stolen the insurance doesn't cover the thief, does it?
    Jesus - did you seriously post that? Of course insurance doesn't apply to a thief.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Insurance covers anyone who does not have regular access to the bike. For example, I cannot let my girlfriend ride my bike because we live together, but I can lend it to anyone else and they are covered.
    It's more fun riding a slow bike fast than riding a fast bike slow.

Quote Originally Posted by 250 Matt View Post
    Insurance covers anyone who does not have regular access to the bike. For example, I cannot let my girlfriend ride my bike because we live together, but I can lend it to anyone else and they are covered.
    Depends on your insurance company (policy type, etc.).