WTF - adding to the stable (ninja 250 and or sv 650 [UNREAL figures])

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTF - adding to the stable (ninja 250 and or sv 650 [UNREAL figures])

WTF - adding to the stable (ninja 250 and or sv 650 [UNREAL figures])

Experts please chime in on this, thank you

Ok so statefarm:

currently on a 07 zx6
    full coverage ~$1300 a year (~$110 a month) NOT BAD in my books

Adding a second bike for fun?

Here are the figures, which surprised the **** out of me

2008 ninja 250 $60/ mo??

2008 sv 650 ... ready for this?: $184/mo!?

what kind of crack are they smoking?

I have a spotless record, insured motorcycle for 5 years, full M, etc 10 years driving a car, etc.

Someone please help me get a second bike, cause even the ninja 250 is too expensive.

Ive read most people in CANADA pay around 35-45$ a month.

USA? $14/mo

wow...
    but its our job to end this and ride motorcycles like men...today's society is soft as hell. but riding a 600cc is the least you can do...

Imperialengravers.com --------------
    ------------------------------------
    ---------------------------

Re: WTF - adding to the stable (ninja 250 and or sv 650 [UNREAL figures])

I used to pay $60 a month full coverage with state farm with one bike. If i insured a second bike, its almost the same price minus now having multi car discount.

I believe its like a 10% discount .. if that ..
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

on a ninja 250??? wow

but that sv blows my mind...
    but its our job to end this and ride motorcycles like men...today's society is soft as hell. but riding a 600cc is the least you can do...

from what I understand the cutoff point for SF is 600cc. This means the sv650 will be more than any 600ss. makes no sence I know, but it is what it is.
    To ride or not to ride…THAT is a stupid question !!

just tried a few others...seems an sv 650 everywhere will be more expensive than my 07zx6 with SF

i had this conversation about 2 years ago same result, and now I am certain I am destine to be with SF forever.

honestly insane...

How will i ever afford a litre bike?

Same here...I recently got a on 09 250 and it's a $100 less than my Ninja 650R was for the year ($350). I'm with Jevco. The 250 is super fun...I have no idea why people are in a rush to trade them up. I'm getting as much fun out of the 250 as I was for the 650...I do miss the comfort of the 650 but the flickable fun factor makes up for the vibrating arms I experience.
    New to me for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by djbordie View Post
    just tried a few others...seems an sv 650 everywhere will be more expensive than my 07zx6 with SF

i had this conversation about 2 years ago same result, and now I am certain I am destine to be with SF forever.

honestly insane...

How will i ever afford a litre bike?
    State Farm's rating algorithm considers displacement rather than class. To State Farm, an SV650 is faster and more dangerous than a ZX6 because it has a larger displacement. In fact, to State Farm a 1500CC Goldwing is faster and more dangerous than a Hayabusa. Yes, it's ridiculous and stupid, but that's the way they do things. You should be happy they rate this way, because it is the only reason why people in Ontario can ride a SS bike at an affordable rate.

I ride a litre bike and am insured with State Farm, and it isn't that bad if they also have your car. The marginal premium increase per CC reduces as the CC increases, kind of like the curve below:

I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
    The 250 is super fun...I have no idea why people are in a rush to trade them up. I'm getting as much fun out of the 250 as I was for the 650...
    Agreed 100%. I rode my 250 for three years and never really got "bored" of it. Most people who think they've outgrown their 250 really haven't.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

might as well pick up a second 600cc ohhh yyaaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by W8INLINE View Post
    from what I understand the cutoff point for SF is 600cc. This means the sv650 will be more than any 600ss. makes no sence I know, but it is what it is.
    I'm insured on an 06 gsx-r 750 with state farm at 150/month. full coverage with fire and theft.
    Still can't understand why an SV650 would be 180$+/month... something is not right!
    Last edited by 2live&ride; 08-26-2011 at 05:19 PM.
    Mina

Quote Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
    Same here...I recently got a on 09 250 and it's a $100 less than my Ninja 650R was for the year ($350). I'm with Jevco. The 250 is super fun...I have no idea why people are in a rush to trade them up. I'm getting as much fun out of the 250 as I was for the 650...I do miss the comfort of the 650 but the flickable fun factor makes up for the vibrating arms I experience.
    Jevco wanted 1100 for a 250... Who is your broker?

My SV is 1300$ for the year, I have a bad record.
    I'm with Cornerstone Insurance. They have a thread on GTAM in the insurance section.
    Ignore the part where they name specific agents to call because they've all moved to different departments.
    Say you're calling from GTAM, that seemed to have helped me a lot for some reason.

As others have mentioned already, SF goes by cc, completely stupid in my opinion but can work to your advantage if you were looking for a CBR600RR or something lol.
    Viffer's example of a 1500cc Goldwing vs a Hayabusa is hilarious.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

2008 sv 650 ... ready for this?: $184/mo!?
    The SV650 has been known to eat babies and sacrifice virgins, hence the high cost. Some insurance companies (Allstate) look at this naked sports bike and find it too risky to even cover.

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    The SV650 has been known to eat babies and sacrifice virgins, hence the high cost. Some insurance companies (Allstate) look at this naked sports bike and find it too risky to even cover.
    All I can say is:
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

My ZX11 is less than $1700 per year ... that is liability only, but full coverage isn't going to add $500 a year! Something doesn't add up. I'm 27 and no tickets, btw. No car discount either, I only have my bike and apartment insured with them.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

dude, thats nuts, my 750 is 500 and change a year with jevco. through duffy.
    x

Jevco wanted 1100 for a 250... Who is your broker?
    Pioneer Ins. in Kitchener. They love bikes and have one hanging in their office. Gord is who I deal with.
    New to me for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    dude, thats nuts, my 750 is 500 and change a year with jevco. through duffy.
    ya but look where you live haha

i know, unreal

thanks for all the reply's. i am trying every insurance company listed here...

ya but look where you live haha

i know, unreal

thanks for all the reply's. i am trying every insurance company listed here...
    Motorcycle insurance premiums do not vary based on your location nearly as much as Auto premiums do. In fact, many companies don't even consider your location when rating a motorcycle.

tried primum, jevco & TD

all same price or more than my current state farm quotes...

what am i missing here? how are people getting 600/yr or less for a ninja 250...