No one will insure me... help :(

Thread: No one will insure me... help :(

No one will insure me... help :(

So State Farm gave me quotes and told me I'm good to go. I buy my bike (2011 R6) and go in to sign up for insurance. They all of a sudden deny me... I don't know why they continue to issue me quotes on bikes after I gave them all my info and told them about my tickets (at least what I could remember...), you'd think they'd actually look **** up before issuing a quote.

I knew I had 1 ticket on my car from 2009, but I guess I paid a couple from 2008 late, so they carried over to 2009. Now I'm getting denied by every insurer and it looks like I won't be riding until next year.

Does anyone have any help for me? I don't want to sign up for Facility and get my wallet ravaged. I bought my bike expecting to get insured and now I'm screwed. I've got my M2 and I've taken my safety course, if that helps.

edit: Decided to just wait until next season to get insured, since 2 of the 3 tickets will be dropping off my record by then. Until then, the track is my home
    Last edited by jimmers; 08-26-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Re: No one will insure me... help :(

If you have 3+ tickets on your abstract then state farm will deny you. Your best bet is to wait till next year, just don't collect any more tickets.
    Good luck!
    Mina

Quote Originally Posted by jimmers View Post
    So State Farm gave me quotes and told me I'm good to go. I buy my bike (2011 R6) and go in to sign up for insurance. They all of a sudden deny me... I don't know why they continue to issue me quotes on bikes after I gave them all my info and told them about my tickets (at least what I could remember...), you'd think they'd actually look **** up before issuing a quote.

I knew I had 1 ticket on my car from 2009, but I guess I paid a couple from 2008 late, so they carried over to 2009. Now I'm getting denied by every insurer and it looks like I won't be riding until next year.

Does anyone have any help for me? I don't want to sign up for Facility and get my wallet ravaged. I bought my bike expecting to get insured and now I'm screwed. I've got my M2 and I've taken my safety course, if that helps.
    It costs money to look it up, they are not going to spend that on a quote. You can get your abstract from one of those kiosks in the malls, and see whats on it if you like.
    99 R1, SS Swing Arm, Mag rims, wolf undertail exaust... and more toys not going to mention.
    02 Gsxr 1000

Yeah I was aware of my tickets, I just didn't realize that they convict you on the day you pay it rather than the day it actually happened. My fault for waiting to pay it I guess. I suppose I'll just wait until next year and stare at my bike in the garage lol

Yeah I was aware of my tickets, I just didn't realize that they convict you on the day you pay it rather than the day it actually happened. My fault for waiting to pay it I guess. I suppose I'll just wait until next year and stare at my bike in the garage lol
    It does suck.. as the saying goes, live and learn.. Just don't go out without insurance as some have on here.. Way to costly.
    99 R1, SS Swing Arm, Mag rims, wolf undertail exaust... and more toys not going to mention.
    02 Gsxr 1000

Keep in mind you don't have insurance on the bike, so make sure it's locked up in the garage very well, and try to hide it from view and don't advertise to people that you have a brand new R6 at home in the garage.
    The worse thing that could happen to you while you wait to get insurance is to have the bike stolen while it's uninsured.

Personally I would put it in the corner on a stand and then pile a bunch of stuff around it to hide it from view.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

Quote Originally Posted by RoadHogg View Post
    It does suck.. as the saying goes, live and learn.. Just don't go out without insurance as some have on here.. Way to costly.
    Agreed. I'll be spending the money I would have spent on insurance on a bike trailer instead. Take it out to the track and just wait until next year to hit the street.

Agreed. I'll be spending the money I would have spent on insurance on a bike trailer instead. Take it out to the track and just wait until next year to hit the street.
    I like your thinking man.

People who ride like idiots on the streets is one thing.
    Idiots who ride the streets with no insurance are completely retarded.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

Purely for entertainment purposes:

Jevco called me back and quoted me well over $12,000 for insurance lol

Costs more than the bike itself. The agent and I had a good laugh about that. Good times.

How old are you and how long have you been riding? If you are over 30yo you could give TD a shot. Other than TD, you are SOL.

State Farm was correct -- the clock doesn't start ticking until the day you pay for the conviction. The insurer won't verify your conviction status until after you have agreed to purchase coverage. Until the policy hits underwriting, they will assume that everything you told them is accurate.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    How old are you and how long have you been riding? If you are over 30yo you could give TD a shot. Other than TD, you are SOL.

State Farm was correct -- the clock doesn't start ticking until the day you pay for the conviction. The insurer won't verify your conviction status until after you have agreed to purchase coverage. Until the policy hits underwriting, they will assume that everything you told them is accurate.
    Turning 28 soon. I've ridden bikes before, but never on a regular basis.

I wasn't aware of the convicted on the day you pay thing, so that's my bad. I'll be riding next year though. Insurance company is kinda screwing themselves out of money to be honest, since the bike is going to be stored through the winter... then when I get insurance next spring, my tickets will be off my record. It really makes no sense to me.

It does make sense since having 3+ tickets makes you a high risk driver. It shows that you consistantly break the laws and create a higher chance of making a claim. Since claims cost the insurance company money, they're charging you in advance by taking on a risky driver/rider.

Once the 3 years has passed then you've shown them that you're less of a risk now. Maybe you've grown up, or just know where the speed traps are?

Yes, essentially they're losing money by making it an un-affordable rate, however in their eyes they're saving potentially $1,000,000 + by not covering a high-risk rider that ends up killing or seriously injuring someone.

Turning 28 soon. I've ridden bikes before, but never on a regular basis.

I wasn't aware of the convicted on the day you pay thing, so that's my bad. I'll be riding next year though. Insurance company is kinda screwing themselves out of money to be honest, since the bike is going to be stored through the winter... then when I get insurance next spring, my tickets will be off my record. It really makes no sense to me.

I'm surprised because when I signed up in March I had 3 tickets on my record (2 majors) and 26 and had my M2 for just about 2 years, yet they quoted me 1300$ for liability and another 110$ for theft/fire.
    Mind you that your bike is newer than mine and also on their blacklist, I am still shocked that 12k is their quote.
    Have you considered getting a bike classed as a sport-touring? Insurance companies LOVE sport-touring bikes cause they are considered much less of a risk than a SS.

Being a 2011 R6, I assume you just bought it from a dealer and can't really return it. Are you making monthly payments on it?
    Even if you bought it in one shot, I would try to have the bike covered under home insurance if possible.

That is indeed strange. Yeah I bought the bike, so it's mine forever. I'm perfectly fine with not riding until next season, but I had some glimmer of hope that there was a reasonable insurance company out there, I guess that's too much to expect from such a racket. I'm in the wrong industry

Royal sun alliance should be able to give you a better quote. Prolly 2500 for liability alone. Try cornerstone brokers.

I got a quote from Facility, $4500... which isn't too awful, but they want payment in full which I can't afford right now. By the time I can, riding season will be almost over.

I got a quote from Facility, $4500... which isn't too awful, but they want payment in full which I can't afford right now. By the time I can, riding season will be almost over.
    $4500 isn't too awful? I would never pay that much to insure a recreational vehicle, but perhaps you have loads more money than I do. I suggest you wait until your record cleans up.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Option 1, wait till tickets clear up
    Option 2, stop riding, sell your bike
    Option 3, pick up and move to BC where insurance scams the government instead of the people

Option 1 is the only option for me. The wait until next spring is going to be awful

Option 1 is the only option for me. The wait until next spring is going to be awful
    This season is almost over anyway . . . it could already be snowing in a couple of months