Worth it to buy warranty from dealership on used bike? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worth it to buy warranty from dealership on used bike?

Re: Worth it to buy warranty from dealership on used bike?

Don't worry about it. If something goes, there's lots of good advice on here....and lots of bad opinions.

Ask for help and you will gets lots of replies.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fitandfun1 View Post
    I'm a new rider and I've just purchased a used 2008 Honda Rebel 250cc from a dealership which is offering a 1yr guarantee only on the motor. They want $400 for this. I know nothing about bikes, but this doesn't sound like it's worth it to me. Please advise!
    That does seem like a lot of money. The motor on a Rebel is pretty simple as far as parts go, and pretty simple to work on as far as labour goes. That warranty would pay off for you would be if you had a catastrophic engine failure, but your Honda is still relatively new and Hondas generally don't grenade themselves very often as long as they are looked after. If the motor is running well without issues on delivery, it should continue to run like a Swiss watch for a long time to come. I would pass on the warranty.

For once turbo doesn't offer turboadvice and is 100% correct. With only 9k on the engine, there's no way I'd pay $400 for a warranty. Get it checked out by an independent mechanic and get on 2 wheels.. Only 3-4 months' worth of riding left in the season
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

I have a first year 1985 Rebel 250 with the same motor. It's a very simple, robust, reliable motor. The $400 will go into his pocket and you'll never make a claim on your warranty. And those warranties are usually written that the shop can make up any excuse not to fix anything that may go wrong. You should put away $400 for a year and see if you need to use any of it for engine repairs, that doesn't include wear items like spark plugs or valve clearance checks/adjustments. I'll bet you'll still have $400 a year from now.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    For once turbo doesn't offer turboadvice and is 100% correct.
    For once? I did a very fast search and found you saying essentially the same thing about some of my posts a half dozen times or so in the not too distant past.

Tell you what - for once why don't you stop constantly using this kind of post to make backhand personal slags against me. That kind of behaviour is more suited to a fifth grader, not someone purporting to be an adult.

fitandfun1

I appreciate the advice. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    And those warranties are usually written that the shop can make up any excuse not to fix anything that may go wrong.
    That's another most excellent point.. They put some extra KY on'em to make'em extra slippery.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by fitandfun1 View Post
    Attachment 26131

There's your proof but I'm also probably old enough to be your Mother! lol (Go finish your homework!)
    Hey pretty momma...you have the same colour eyes at me Guys thought I was a dude too. lol
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

not worth it
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

fitandfun1

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki911 View Post
    Hey pretty momma...you have the same colour eyes at me Guys thought I was a dude too. lol
    Ahhh thanks! Made my day!