Parking longer than 3 hours

Thread: Parking longer than 3 hours

Parking longer than 3 hours

Apologies if this was asked before.

On Friday I parked near the Island Airport on Little Norway. The spot was legal for parking during the day and there was no sign with any restrictions.
    Yet I got a ticket for "Park longer than three hours".

1 - it appears this law exists and there doesn't need to be a sign stating it, to get a ticket.
    2 - I find it very strange to get this ticket, when I've been parking downtown regularly for 3 years, often in no-pay spots, and never ran into this before.
    3 - Under the parking revisions by the city, is there any exemption for motorcycles?

Thanks
    Olaf

Re: Parking longer than 3 hours

There certainly are a couple of parking offences that do not require a sign. One of them is parking for longer than 3 hours. This applies anywhere in the City of Toronto. Motorcycle parking is free if there is pay but legal parking available. If parking is illegal, a motorcycle has no exemption.

Quote Originally Posted by City of Toronto, Parking Regulations
    Parking offences that do not require signs
    The most common situations:
    Offence No. on ticket Description Area for by-law Set Fine
    2 Park longer than 3 hours Toronto wide $15.00
    11 Park more than 30cm from curb Toronto wide $15.00
    12 Park vehicle for sale Toronto wide $15.00
    14 Park obstruct driveway/laneway Toronto wide $40.00
    15 Park 3 metres of fire hydrant Toronto wide $100.00
    16 Park 9 metres of intersecting highway Toronto wide $40.00
    24 Park taxi cab for hire-unauthorized location Toronto wide $30.00
    Park on Boulevard North York
    Scarborough
    East York
    Toronto
    $30.00
    28 Park between 2am-6am Dec 1 to Mar 31 North York $30.00
    30 Stop on/over sidewalk/footpath Toronto wide $60.00
    31 Stop roadside (parked/stopped) vehicle Toronto wide $60.00
    48 Park left wheels to curb Toronto wide $15.00
    57 Stop within intersection Toronto wide $60.00
    58 Stop within 9 metres of crosswalk Toronto wide $60.00
    65 Stop on bridge Toronto wide $60.00
    70 Stop on centre strip Toronto wide $60.00

For up-to-date parking by-law information in your area, please call Access Toronto at 416-338-0338 or email ataccesstoronto@toronto.ca.

Banned

1. One of the signs you didn't see was here, and there are others at most of the entrances to the city -> http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=eglinto...,69.3,,2,-1.22

2. You were lucky, probably got overlooked in the rush of downtown.

3. No exemption for motorcycles other than per the payment for street parking requirement.

Hopefully this is an isolated ticket and will not continue under the Rob Ford regime to get back as much cash as possible. I've been parking all day for years downtown with no tickets.
    Last edited by sticker; 08-25-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
    '08 Ducati Hypermotard
    '86 Yamaha BW200

Quote Originally Posted by sticker View Post
    Hopefully this is an isolated ticket and will not continue under the Rob Ford regime to get back as much cash as possible. I've been parking all day for years downtown with no tickets.
    Since our street doesn't get much overnight stuff it isn't profitable to ticket on a regular basis. The higher the on street demand for parking the higher the revenue. I knew of one street that got hit once a week. We get hit once a year, if that.

I figure that even if they ticket me every single day, its still cheaper than parking in a lot
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I figure that even if they ticket me every single day, its still cheaper than parking in a lot
    How much was the ticket? There are some parking lots downtown where you can park all day for $5-$10.

none of them are within 1 min of First Canadian, Exchange Tower, TD towers, Commerce Court, Bay Adelade or Scotia plaza though.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

"Park vehicle for sale"? How do you get that ticket?
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Most of these 3 hr parking tickets are triggered by complaints. Someone calls into Toronto Parking, files a complaint and the whole area gets blanketed with tickets. If you are nice to your neighbours you'll almost never get a visit. Park in front of my house and you'll find a nice present when you get up in the morning.

On my sleepy street in Scarborough there was one lady who ran an illegal rooming house. She turned her 3 bedroom backsplit into 7 rented rooms. Unfortunately there were also 7 cars in front of her house, and being Chinese drivers, parked like idiots, partially blocking neighbour's driveways. Some neighbour called Toronto Parking every day for two weeks straight, and every day all the cars on the street got tickets. After two weeks all the cars disappeared and the rooming house was out of business. It is best to be nice with your neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    "Park vehicle for sale"? How do you get that ticket?
    If you have a For Sale sign on your car and it's parked on the street, you can get that ticket.

Ask me how I know.
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Quote Originally Posted by nfq View Post
    If you have a For Sale sign on your car and it's parked on the street, you can get that ticket.

Ask me how I know.
    Really, that's illegal? If the car is plated and otherwise legally parked I don't get why anyone should care.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    Really, that's illegal? If the car is plated and otherwise legally parked I don't get why anyone should care.
    to discourage curb-side dealers?

I don't know why it exists, but I'm sure at one point there was enough of a reason to enact it.

Just like you can't drag a dead horse head down Yonge St. on a sunday. lol
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    none of them are within 1 min of First Canadian, Exchange Tower, TD towers, Commerce Court, Bay Adelade or Scotia plaza though.
    I used to park at Bay and Queen's Quay for $5/day. But yes, I guess that's not within 1 minute of those places

The 3 hour rule isn't just Toronto, it is pretty much anywhere in Ontario. There are exceptions. In Mississauga there are places that let one park for like 15hours or so.... no pay.

IMO - one of the DUMBEST laws.... especially in areas with very little traffic. If they didn't want someone just using the street for parking and just leaving there car there all the time, OK fine, make it 8 hours. But IMO one should be able to leave a car on the street if you are staying over at a friend's place for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    IMO - one of the DUMBEST laws.... especially in areas with very little traffic. If they didn't want someone just using the street for parking and just leaving there car there all the time, OK fine, make it 8 hours. But IMO one should be able to leave a car on the street if you are staying over at a friend's place for the night.
    I agree - but then I don't consider parking tickets a legitimate "revenue source". IMO, if a vehicle is causing a traffic or other problem, then its legit to ticket and hence encourage the right actions. But just for the sake of raising funds for the city??? Guess I'm out of touch.....

Anyway, this thread answered my question. Guess I'll pay the $15 ticket.
    I've had situations in the past where I honestly couldn't figure out what the infraction was, but since the city changed the laws that you have to appeal in person....its usually not worth the time/effort to go down to city hall and fight it. But this time just ****** me off.

Thanks
    Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBoy View Post
    Most of these 3 hr parking tickets are triggered by complaints. Someone calls into Toronto Parking, files a complaint and the whole area gets blanketed with tickets. If you are nice to your neighbours you'll almost never get a visit. Park in front of my house and you'll find a nice present when you get up in the morning.
    I was told that they are only triggered by complaints, and that they cannot be cancelled, though they do seem to mysteriously disappear if you file to fight them and something is wrong, like the year on the sticker.

My complaint is that the city website says the restriction exists "where no other parking regulations are posted", which isn't right at all. The actual regulation is in effect wherever permission is not restricted or extended by another posted or unposted regulation. Specifically, if a street is signed for no-parking from 8am-6pm, and no permit-parking is available for overnight parking nor signed as required, one can get a ticket everyday at 3am if someone decides they don't like you, or it could be okay to park there overnight for years until you get a new neighbor.
    --
    Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutually exclusive.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

I've had two of them when parked in front of my house. None of the other neighbors seem to get them. Am I the bad neighbor?
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    I've had two of them when parked in front of my house. None of the other neighbors seem to get them. Am I the bad neighbor?
    Someone in your locale must have phoned to complain. The City does not randomly send out parking enforcement just for the hell of it. Who knows why neighbours complain. Maybe they did not take their meds and was having a bad day? Are you part of the "Loud Pipes Saves Lives" crowd?

The other issue is snow removal. I am sure they use this bylaw to try to get cars off the street so the ploughs can do their job.