Best broker for a young rider on a 250?

Thread: Best broker for a young rider on a 250?

Best broker for a young rider on a 250?

I'm looking to be insured next year when I actually get my bike, so I was just wondering which brokers I could call who would possibly give me the best rate?

Basic rider info:
    19 y/o male
    Had M2 for a full year, and G1/G2 since 16 y/o (no claims or tickets)
    2008 kawi ninja 250r

I called John Duffy and got a quote for $1973 per year (for just $1m liability), which is still a bit steep for me.

If anyone has some brokers that they would like to recommend me and I could call for a quote, please do!

Re: Best broker for a young rider on a 250?

Quote Originally Posted by Nofear View Post
    I called John Duffy and got a quote for $1973 per year (for just $1m liability), which is still a bit steep for me.
    You answered your own question. John Duffy (Jevco) will be your cheapest option. $1973 is steep for you? What do you kids do with your money these days?
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

Well its kinda bull s#!t when Progressive in the USA can insure a rider my age for around $300 per year

I have about $7500 saved for motorcycling (going to throw more money in the hole when next summer rolls around for me to get another job) I was hoping insurance would be $1500/year max...
    Last edited by Nofear; 08-25-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Well its kinda bull s#!t when Progressive in the USA can insure a rider my age for around $300 per year

I have about $7500 saved for motorcycling (going to throw more money in the hole when next summer rolls around for me to get another job) I was hoping insurance would be $1500/year max...
    There are plenty of threads explaining the difference between the US and Canadian insurance scenes.

At 19yo, you aren't going to find insurance for $1500 or less. The Jevco quote with Duffy is probably the best you are going to get.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Be glad that you're one year younger than me and your insurance is almost half of mine.
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

That's a pretty good quote for your age. Don't take it for granted. It could be a lot worse.

I was hoping insurance would be $1500/year max...
    If you want that price the only way to get it is to sell your 250 and get a CBR125. That one of the better quotes I have seen for someone your age
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    If you want that price the only way to get it is to sell your 250 and get a CBR125. That one of the better quotes I have seen for someone your age
    The CBR125 won't be much cheaper than a Ninja 250 -- in fact, it is probably the same premium with many insurers.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Get your Full G wait a year and go with state farm.
    "Where we're going we don't need roads"
    "Where are we going?"
    "Brantford!"
    "Oh so we do need roads?"
    "Yea...."

SOLD for restoration - 83 Honda VT250FE
    2001 Katana 600

Quote Originally Posted by Two50noob View Post
    Get your Full G wait a year and go with state farm.
    The "wait-a-year" strategy only applies to Jevco, since they consider you experience after simply being M1/M2 licensed for one full calendar year.

State Farm requires that you have your full G AND you have been licensed on a car for 5 complete calendar years. State Farm rates are very attractive for people who have been driving a car for a while, but are buying a bike with zero experience.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    The CBR125 won't be much cheaper than a Ninja 250 -- in fact, it is probably the same premium with many insurers.
    I called many insurance companies and asked for a quote for both the bikes and they were exactly the same. (I dont know about state farm cause I dont qualify)