How do shot tires behave?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do shot tires behave?

How do shot tires & suspension behave?

Mosport intermediate: The second last session of the day, my rear wheel started to chatter, it was so bad I thought my rear had a flat. The rear was chattering left and right, felt a bit 'bouncy' on the straight...Since it was the second last session, just decided to call it a day.

04 zx6r. I've had it since 56k. There's 67k on it now and I had 3 previous track days at Mosport. I'm assuming everything has been stock except for the steering damper.

I have pilot road 3's on, so the opinion is that the tires are shot, or the rear suspension..or both... but I'm not sure. Before you give me any flack, I will be running something more dedicated the next time I'm on track
    Last edited by vrus; 08-24-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Re: How do shot tires behave?

Quote Originally Posted by vrus View Post
    Mosport intermediate: The second last session of the day, my rear wheel started to chatter, it was so bad I thought my rear had a flat. The rear was chattering left and right, felt a bit 'bouncy' on the straight...Since it was the second last session, just decided to call it a day.

04 zx6r. I've had it since 56k. There's 67k on it now and I had 3 previous track days at Mosport. I'm assuming everything has been stock except for the steering damper.

I have pilot road 3's on, so the opinion is that the tires are shot, or the rear suspension..or both... but I'm not sure. Before you give me any flack, I will be running something more dedicated the next time I'm on track
    To have the slightest chance of helping you the people who know about this stuff will need a couple of pictures. One of your rear tire and another of a pretty girl to keep them interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    ...and another of a pretty girl ...
    preferably in swim suit ... on a Superbike ...

Probably won't get anywhere with this but let's try;
    1. What were your lap times?
    2. Were you using tire warmers?
    3. What was the pressures before going on track and when coming off (assuming you checked them after all this "bounciness")
    4. Is your suspension set-up? what are the front and rear sag?
    5. Photos fo the tire please....

NEVERMIND...I just read that it's all stock. I have nothing for you.
    Last edited by Rob; 08-24-2011 at 02:45 PM.
    2011 R.A.C.E. Middleweight Twins Champion
    www.bulletmotoracing.com
    Thanks to: Motovan, Durham Top Quality Collision, Hindle exhausts, OGK Kabuto Helmets, Vortex Racing, Impact Safe-T-Armor, Suzuki of Newmarket and Orion Motorsports

Not much a track rider myself, but when I hear of people riding on the track with touring tires the more common complaint is that they overheat and feel very greasy. What you're describing sounds more like your shock has overheated. Mosport is purportedly a high speed track which would work your shock pretty hard.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    No, Rob-san, we still want a pic of pretty girl in swim suit....

you may have overheated your tire which is now out of round. Did youcheck your pressures before and after a session? Did you ride it after the last session at all to see if the condition is still present when cooled off?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Probably won't get anywhere with this but let's try;
    1. What were your lap times?
    2. Were you using tire warmers?
    3. What was the pressures before going on track and when coming off (assuming you checked them after all this "bounciness")
    4. Is your suspension set-up? what are the front and rear sag?
    5. Photos fo the tire please....

1. slow?
    2. No, unless you count the sun
    3. I set it 27 cold for both. I used these every day, checked before the start of first session.
    4. It is as good as it gets for the stock. The front was a bit flightly on turn 4 and the back straight, the back was planted all day(s) long.
    5. Here ya go! https://picasaweb.google.com/114014263267052507558/Tires

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    you may have overheated your tire which is now out of round. Did youcheck your pressures before and after a session? Did you ride it after the last session at all to see if the condition is still present when cooled off?
    Didn't check after the session, but I wish I did.

Put it back on the street in the evening, I rode it on the 400 series at +10, +20 kph and the tires didn't feel bouncy.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    Not much a track rider myself, but when I hear of people riding on the track with touring tires the more common complaint is that they overheat and feel very greasy. What you're describing sounds more like your shock has overheated. Mosport is purportedly a high speed track which would work your shock pretty hard.
    This sounds more like it. I never knew shocks could over heat before so it never occurred to me!

This sounds more like it. I never knew shocks could over heat before so it never occurred to me!
    with that much mileage your suspension is probably tired, needs some work.
    Did the chatter start immediately, middle of session etc?

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    with that much mileage your suspension is probably tired, needs some work.
    Did the chatter start immediately, middle of session etc?
    It was second last session of the day, I had a few laps in then....pretty much after turn...3 or 4 and then I rode a lap of it. Slowed down, came to the pits because I thought my rear tire had a flat or something. Or my swingarm was about to break off, lol.

Sounds like you threw a wheel weight to me. That would account for the vibration including along the back straight
    SOAR Expert #145 CSBK & RACE PRO #145

Quote Originally Posted by kamenrider View Post
    preferably in swim suit ... on a Superbike ...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	26166
    Originally posted by INREB
    Spool up time is the lag. Who put the lag in a lag? Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp? Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?

Originally Posted by invictus43
    can you explain magnets to me??

Quote Originally Posted by old buzzard View Post
    Sounds like you threw a wheel weight to me. That would account for the vibration including along the back straight
    i double checked just incase... but the symptoms have disappeared (at least on the street)

i double checked just incase... but the symptoms have disappeared (at least on the street)
    My vote would also be to check your shock if it is happening under acceleration and not when maintaining speed.

Pilot Road 3s notoriously run hotter than its main competitors touring tires. This is the tradeoff when you have a tire that excels in the wet!!

Needless to say, that will kill them.

Try some 023's if you want a touring tire that can handle the track.

Did it only "chatter" on the straight? At high speed?You probably threw off a wheel weight, symptoms would only show up at high speeds.You probably don't reach those speeds on the street, that's why it is ok now.Or possibly spun the tire on the rim which would throw it out of balance too.Either way pull the when off and put it on a balancer to check it.
    2008 DUCATI 848

Nah, it started somewhere on turn 3-4 and carried it's way on to the next lap. Felt like somebody snapped my swingarm in half, heh. If I experience symptoms again, I will probably re balance. I don't see these tires hitting the track again, though.

About the wheel weights: If you have a 03-04 zx6r, how many weights do you have? I see one on the rear...

Nah, it started somewhere on turn 3-4 and carried it's way on to the next lap. Felt like somebody snapped my swingarm in half, heh. If I experience symptoms again, I will probably re balance. I don't see these tires hitting the track again, though.

About the wheel weights: If you have a 03-04 zx6r, how many weights do you have? I see one on the rear...
    dont need to balance the rear...

Wheel, shock, or whatever else, probably a good idea to get it to a shop for a look. These things don't exactly heal themselves... and you may prevent a more surprising experience from happening in the future. Stay safe!