The Ducati and the West Virginian Ride

Thread: The Ducati and the West Virginian Ride

The Ducati and the West Virginian Ride

Finally getting around to writing about my trip down south. Day 1 done and I added some "brain droppings" to explain why I take these trips.

I'll update this thread as I add days.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16701232#post16701232

Oomis - "It's a brilliant character bike. It won't be the fastest bike on the street, nor the lightest, nor the best handling, but with pipes it'll sound like God's coming to dinner and he doesn't like what's on the table."

Re: The Ducati and the West Virginian Ride

Is this the same trip you did to the gap a while back or a different one?
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

This trip blog is my ride taken this year from Friday August 5 to Sunday August 14. IMO, it's sort of a "part 2" to my BRP trip. The only way I'll go back to the Gap is if I can drag other people down there with me. Why? Because last year's trip was so perfect that it's important my next trip to the area is in a completely different context.

I'm loading my maps into the daily write up should anyone be curious about the roads in the area. I scientifically chose my roads thusly: Gee, that looks like a really squiggly line, I think I'll take that road. One road in particular was WAAAAYYYY to much for me because of elevation changes, hairpins, and questionable asphault. I'll be writing about that tomorrow.

Oomis - "It's a brilliant character bike. It won't be the fastest bike on the street, nor the lightest, nor the best handling, but with pipes it'll sound like God's coming to dinner and he doesn't like what's on the table."

Day 4 done. Got some good road shots in there.

I'm looking at a trip like this as well. Some random questions:

1. How's the bike performing?
    2. Do you have ducati dealer contact info just in case? (this came in handy for my recent ride)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    I'm looking at a trip like this as well. Some random questions:
    Do you have ducati dealer contact info just in case? (this came in handy for my recent ride)
    What for?Those things are as reliable as a rock.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    What for?Those things are as reliable as a rock.
    If you're talking about his particular bike, I can't comment. But if you're talking about Ducati in general, well...

When my front right bearing exploded on me in Moose Jaw, I wasn't thinking about how reliable my bike was. I was trying to get the Ducati dealer info in Regina.

Day 5 is done. The bike has been reliable such that I don't carry tools nor do I carry Ducati dealer info. I'm not sure if bearings are really the fault of Ducati though. My opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
    Day 5 is done. The bike has been reliable such that I don't carry tools nor do I carry Ducati dealer info. I'm not sure if bearings are really the fault of Ducati though. My opinion.
    Subtle implication. Dealer took responsibility. I'm not a hard rider, and I take care of my bike.

Have a good ride.
    Last edited by Chaos; 08-31-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Subtle implication. Dealer took responsibility. I'm not a hard rider, and I take care of my bike.Have a good ride.
    Now I understand. I wasn't sure of the long term viability of owning a Ducati, especially when I ride as many miles as I do. So far, mine has been more reliable than my Kawasaki. I can't speak to the other models though.

Quote Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
    Now I understand. I wasn't sure of the long term viability of owning a Ducati, especially when I ride as many miles as I do. So far, mine has been more reliable than my Kawasaki. I can't speak to the other models though.
    I can't complain at all about the reliability. I've had 36K flawless kms on an 09 696. The bearing was a one-off. I did 12,000 kms in a month, and the bike was great, bearing not withstanding. I would have no qualms taking the bike out again on a long journey (In fact, that's the plan at some point).

My original point was that in case you need to get to a dealership, it's good to have a list just in case (since their support network is small), that's all. Just trying to help a fellow Ducatista!

Ride safe.

Marc, I insist you copy and paste all of your posts here and recreate your thread. Only because I'm a PITA.

Ok, but seriously now. Last year were those ridiculously worn sprockets and this year the bald tire. You live dangerously, my friend.

I can't complain at all about the reliability. I've had 36K flawless kms on an 09 696. The bearing was a one-off. I did 12,000 kms in a month, and the bike was great, bearing not withstanding. I would have no qualms taking the bike out again on a long journey (In fact, that's the plan at some point).

My original point was that in case you need to get to a dealership, it's good to have a list just in case (since their support network is small), that's all. Just trying to help a fellow Ducatista!

Ride safe.
    In all honesty, I had a list of Ducati dealerships when I did the BRP trip last year. This year, I was just plain lazy. Plus I really had no plan this year other than to let the trip unfold.

As far as rewritting the blog, I have to paste in about 60 - 70 pictures and that makes for a lot of work when I'd rather be riding. I'll probably do it when I'm done writting it up on adv.
    I wasn't worried about the balding tire because I planned to buy tires while I was away anyhow. The belts didn't start to show till my first full day in Morgantown so I went straight to the dealership to have that taken cared of.

Day 6 is written.

I checked it out on adv.

I totally understand why you had such a good time. I rode to West Virginia twice this summer because of was drawn by the warmth and southern hospitality of the people. Other areas may have more rugged beauty but only the southern states have a charm that keeps you coming back again and again.
    Aurora

In the pics outside the Walden Galleria you looked trashed (even though I know you weren't). And I could totally imagine Femme_de_fer's comments about the scruff. I LOLed!

Awesome pics as usual, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcat View Post
    In the pics outside the Walden Galleria you looked trashed (even though I know you weren't). And I could totally imagine Femme_de_fer's comments about the scruff. I LOLed!

Awesome pics as usual, btw.
    I had only eaten a little bit then had 5 or 6 pints in the sun. Femme was asking about when and where we were going to eat and as I got up, I realized I was quite drunk. That was a great night.

Carmen, I agree totally.