Going for first 'long' cruise this weekend - any tip/suggestions?

Thread: Going for first 'long' cruise this weekend - any tip/suggestions?

Going for first 'long' cruise this weekend - any tip/suggestions?

Thanks in Advance for any helpful tips -

I plan on taking my first long trip this weekend - still a relative newb - but my plan is a possible 3-4hr ride - tentative plan is up through Oshawa on 12 - to Beaverton to Fenlon Falls - Bancroft (stole some ideas people have been posting here) - cut through Algonquin - and head back down Hwy 11 towards my cottage. Washago/Orillia area.

I plan on leaving approx 7am Saturday -

So question really is - anything i should prepare for?

I plan to take it easy - stop frequently, hydrate frequently, and keep aware of how i'm feeling. The course is not set in stone - and i do have an exit plan should I become very tired. By Beaverton - Fenelon falls - I am a short ride to my cottage. Plan is when i hit this area - see how i feel before continuing on.

So for all those long crusiers here - any tips/advice?

Much appreciated.

thanks.

Re: Going for first 'long' cruise this weekend - any tip/suggestions?

Always good to keep hydrated. I have a water bladder I put in my jacket and it makes longer rides that much more enjoyable. A 3-4 hr trip is a pretty short one and not something I would prep to much for. Just enjoy the ride and keep aware and don't lose focus when admiring the surroundings.

What kind of bike are you riding?

If your going to Bancroft thats not a 3-4 hour ride....more like 5-6 hours if you want to take good routes.

Don't worry about yourself, just have fun. You will find that you can go for longer than you expect.

Bring your rain gear, and some extra clothes. Especially warm gloves. Cell phone and caa are nice to have when traveling. A map is handy to use incase of gps failure.

However you are only going on a 3 hour ride. In that short of a ride you would know of any rain on the way

We are also not in a desert, so I don't think you will need to worry about hydration for a 3 hour trip. Your bike will be the only thing that will need a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
    What kind of bike are you riding?
    I'll be riding a Ninja 650r.

Depending on your route your total trip looks like it could be less than 500 km. You will be fine, rest when you need and enjoy the roads. I've done the area you are talking about several times and it can be a lot of fun. Your ride time will likely exceed the 3-4 hours you mentioned but then again I could easily have a different route imagined. If I am close you may be looking at a 7 - 8 hour day, rest food and fueling included. Have fun.
    Last edited by JZ67; 08-24-2011 at 11:57 AM.

For me - this will be my longest trek to date.

i know its not the 900km's i see some people do - but for me - from riding around town to a possible 4hr trek - it'll be long.

definitely looking forward to it.

I did a nice 700km ride on my CBR and what saved me was a throttle rocker from Royal Distributing for like $11, great investment
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Actually the first thing he should do is fix his stupid website because the link is dead.

The second thing he should do is stop being a spamming tard.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    I did a nice 700km ride on my CBR and what saved me was a throttle rocker from Royal Distributing for like $11, great investment
    This is a good tip. They really make the long rides easier on the wrist. I also find that earplugs or music helps me enjoy the longer rides more - otherwise I get sleepy after an hour or so... I also agree that your ride sounds like a longer than 3-4 hours, but still easily doable in a day.

Have a fun and safe ride!
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Quote Originally Posted by silvrsurfr View Post
    For me - this will be my longest trek to date.

i know its not the 900km's i see some people do - but for me - from riding around town to a possible 4hr trek - it'll be long.

definitely looking forward to it.
    If you are on the roads most people here post about, you will not notice the clock and you will certainly be on the road for more than 4 hours. If you leave as early as stated - be WARM. August mornings can be sometimes be too cool to enjoy.

Let us know how it went
    Pk! (aka mototrek)

Update/Closing Remarks:

First off - made it back in one piece. Overall ride - excellent! I didn't get to go as far as I hoped - started riding at 7:30am Saturday morning- (admist the Fog that fell over Toronto to Oshawa - that was interesting) - and made it to my cottage in Washago area - North of Orillia - around 12:30pm-1pm - all back roads - no highways - took my time and enjoyed the ride. Kinda did a lot of exploring now that i think of it.

Learned a few things - and a great experience. I know what I will do next time to get out further. I was riding solo too. Now knowing I can ride that long - my next outing I will get to some of the places I had originally intended to go to.

Sunday's ride home was very windy. First time at highway speeds with that kind of wind - so coming home sunday was not as nice as going up but i rode it out and felt good overall.
    Basically did a huge round trip circle - out East to Oshawa Area - up North through Beaverton - Rama - through Washaga - and then Sunday - down south - Horseshore - through Barrie and Hwy 27 all the way down and everywhere in between.

Thanks for the all the info. Appreciate it.