Forks of the credit road to Guelph question. - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forks of the credit road to Guelph question.

Re: Forks of the credit road to Guelph question.

Reducing speed limits don't usually achieve much unless they are enforced. Most drivers will travel at a speed they feel comfortable with for that particular road. Most roads are designed at 20 km/h aboved posted becuase the 85% percentile or operating speeds are usually 10-15 km/h above posted.

Quote Originally Posted by 250R-ICE View Post
    Reducing speed limits don't usually achieve much unless they are enforced. Most drivers will travel at a speed they feel comfortable with for that particular road. Most roads are designed at 20 km/h aboved posted becuase the 85% percentile or operating speeds are usually 10-15 km/h above posted.
    They inforce the limit on forks. I know from personal experience.

Part of the reason ive lived 5 mins away my entire life and only ridden that road 3 times.

Well thats good to know. I've only been exploring that road over the past couple of years and have yet to see any enforcement. But then again I usualy travel within reasonable speeds anyway.

Well thats good to know. I've only been exploring that road over the past couple of years and have yet to see any enforcement. But then again I usualy travel within reasonable speeds anyway.
    You ride there on weekends?
    That place is bad for speed traps. Cedar drive ( first 2 street coming from 10) is a good hiding spot for them.

They get compaints, o.p.p shows up.
    Highway 10 in that area is just as bad.

The guys who think you can speed out in the country make me laugh. Easiest place to get caught if your not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Alton recently installed speed bumps. They are a removable type, bolted down, so as to allow snow plowing in winter. They don't slow bikes down at all, because they are squares with gaps between them, and you can ride straight up between them.
    Yeah, those humps in Alton are completely useless for bikes because the gaps are located right where you would be riding anyway. There is no school along this section of road, so the 40kph limit is most likely in place to try and appease the 20 or so residents who have been known to stand on the side of the road with a large sign that says "Slow Down - Children".

In my opinion, speed humps/bumps also do not make the traffic go away because they are often installed along roadways that motorists have found to be a more direct route, or a short cut that avoids congestion. The Bridle Path and Post Road in the Bayview/Lawrence area have been used for decades by commuters. Several years ago speed humps and raised intersections were introduced as a traffic calming measure; however, it is highly unlikely that traffic has been diverted as this route is simply the only way to connect the missing link of Lawrence Avenue East. Traffic might have slowed down a little, but I seriously doubt the numbers have been reduced.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

Residents complaining about speeding happens in almost every residential area. Same with common complaints with bikes being to loud. When I first moved into my new place on of my neibours looked over and loudly said not another jerk crotch rocket rider. I told him to **** off. Funny thing is guy has a magnum with strait pipes that he winds up every time I have seen him. If you complain enough cops will enforce. And with the speak of that road to us I can see why speed bumps would be a good traffic slowing measure. As some others have pointed out it won't stop bikers who enjoy a leisurely ride through there and if the aim is an attempt by vocal twits to try and claim ownership of a public road then let's just organize a gta ride every year to track a ******** of bikes through the forks at the speed limit. That way we can enjoy the scenery and would really piss of anyone that wants to whine and complain about others use of public roads. We can call it the middle finger ride for freedom and liberty.. Lol
    "Where we're going we don't need roads"
    "Where are we going?"
    "Brantford!"
    "Oh so we do need roads?"
    "Yea...."

SOLD for restoration - 83 Honda VT250FE
    2001 Katana 600

Where do I sign up for that ride.lol

Someone if has to organize one but seriously if people feel strongly that that's what's happening a nice big group ride up there in protest would be both fun and would piss of this vocal minority
    "Where are we going?"
    "Brantford!"
    "Yea...."

2001 Katana 600

Traffic survey is over. The measuring strips are gone.

A "protest ride" is really not a good idea.

If they put speed bumps in the places that they were proposing, it isn't going to bother me. If they do it the way they did it in Alton, it isn't going to affect me (or any other motorcycle rider with any level of competence) at all. The most bother will be for the locals themselves. (Same as for most traffic control initiatives)

It could have a significant effect on emergency-response vehicles, and I believe the local emergency-response departments are fully aware of that and their position on this matter is in accordance with that.

Brian, would it possible to let us know where those speed bumps are proposed? Just for my own intrest. I would assume it's at the same location as the measuring devices. Sounds to me like they had every intention to install the bumps and used the study as a backup plan in case anyone challenged them.

I'm almost tempted to put in a request under the Freedom of Informtion Act for a copy of the study and the recommendation from their Engineering Dept.

On a plus side and maybe off topic the Region of Peel and Town of Caledon have a new Roundabout type intersection at Old Baseline Rd and Dixie Rd. These types of intersections greatly reduce the type of impacts that can seriously hurt a motorcyclist.
    Last edited by 250R-ICE; 09-04-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Traffic survey is over. The measuring strips are gone.

A "protest ride" is really not a good idea.

If they put speed bumps in the places that they were proposing, it isn't going to bother me. If they do it the way they did it in Alton, it isn't going to affect me (or any other motorcycle rider with any level of competence) at all. The most bother will be for the locals themselves. (Same as for most traffic control initiatives)

It could have a significant effect on emergency-response vehicles, and I believe the local emergency-response departments are fully aware of that and their position on this matter is in accordance with that.

I’m more interested in a group ride through the area. Haven’t been yet so i really don’t have much in this whole debate speed bumps or not I’m going for the scenery
    "Where are we going?"
    "Brantford!"
    "Yea...."

2001 Katana 600

On a plus side and maybe off topic the Region of Peel and Town of Caledon have a new Roundabout type intersection at Old Baseline Rd and Dixie Rd. These types of intersections greatly reduce the type of impacts that can seriously hurt a motorcyclist.
    On the plus side?! While round-abouts might eliminate the fail to yield left-turning motorist collisions for motorcyclists, they increase side-swipe and rear-end collisions because most Ontario drivers have no clue what to do when confronted with them.

From my experience with the one out near St. Jacobs, most drivers miss the yield sign posted on the entry to the circle and simply drive right into the flow of traffic. Then they get in the wrong lane, (there are two lanes in the circle), and have to cut across the flow in order to exit, usually at the last second. I still wonder what the hell they were thinking taking out a perfectly good signal and putting in that round about. I am going to have to take a run down to check this one out and see if it works any better than the one out near St. Jacobs.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

Traffic circles reduce the severity of accidents tend to increase the amount
    "Where are we going?"
    "Brantford!"
    "Yea...."

2001 Katana 600

There are fewer accidents with injuries for sure.But they baffle the people out here in Kitchener Waterloo.WE have dozens of them now.I use extreme caution in them when on two wheels.A lot of folks have no idea what to do.I stay back and piss a lot of folks off.Too bad.http://www.therecord.com/news/local/...-s-roundabouts
    Here's one from the uk.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

I hate to hijack this thread but I have a quick question. How do you get to the forks of the Credit?
    Keep your head on a swivel!!

Depends where you are comming from. Just look it up on Google Maps or Goggle Earth. Forks of the Credit (west limits) start at Belfountain Conservation Area and the east limits are The Forks of The Credit Rd and Hwy. 10 (Hurontatio Rd.).

Malks...The Roundabout I'm referring to is a single lane type , therefore it may be less confusing for drivers that have no experience. There are also numerous signs warning people ahead of time to slow down and yield. This particular intersection was an offset type originally. (look at Goggle Earth - they still show the old intersection layout). Which is one of the most dangerous and unsafe type of intersection layouts you can have. The approaching intersecting roads are now realigned and the intersection is alot safer. (slower speeds, better sightlines, less chance of head on type impacts etc,). Although the risk for a side swipe type impact may have increased, these types of impacts are alot less severe than a head on type - eg left turning vehicle in front of a motorcycle. As the driving public becomes more educated and experienced on their use, they definately will reduce the amount of serious type accidents more commonly found at signalized and unsignalized intersections. It's just going to take some time , give them a chance.
    Last edited by 250R-ICE; 09-05-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks, I'll have a look.
    Keep your head on a swivel!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    Wtf Turbo? Don't want to discuss anymore? I guess he took all his toys and left the sandbox.
    Ban him...
    again!
    Resident Loudmouth

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Malks View Post
    Yeah, those humps in Alton are completely useless for bikes because the gaps are located right where you would be riding anyway.
    Speeding motorcycles aren't a big issue in Alton, are they?

IF, and I emphasize the "IF", speed-bumps are installed along the Forks road, they would be installed in a way to address the speeding issue in question. If motorcycles are identified as being a significant part of a local speeding issue, you can bet that the speed-bumps installed will be done in a way that they will be effective for motorcycles as well as regular car and truck traffic.