Forks of the credit road to Guelph question.

Thread: Forks of the credit road to Guelph question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Forks of the credit road to Guelph question.

Where do I sign up for that ride.lol

Someone if has to organize one but seriously if people feel strongly that that's what's happening a nice big group ride up there in protest would be both fun and would piss of this vocal minority
    "Where we're going we don't need roads"
    "Where are we going?"
    "Brantford!"
    "Oh so we do need roads?"
    "Yea...."

SOLD for restoration - 83 Honda VT250FE
    2001 Katana 600

Traffic survey is over. The measuring strips are gone.

A "protest ride" is really not a good idea.

If they put speed bumps in the places that they were proposing, it isn't going to bother me. If they do it the way they did it in Alton, it isn't going to affect me (or any other motorcycle rider with any level of competence) at all. The most bother will be for the locals themselves. (Same as for most traffic control initiatives)

It could have a significant effect on emergency-response vehicles, and I believe the local emergency-response departments are fully aware of that and their position on this matter is in accordance with that.

Brian, would it possible to let us know where those speed bumps are proposed? Just for my own intrest. I would assume it's at the same location as the measuring devices. Sounds to me like they had every intention to install the bumps and used the study as a backup plan in case anyone challenged them.

I'm almost tempted to put in a request under the Freedom of Informtion Act for a copy of the study and the recommendation from their Engineering Dept.

On a plus side and maybe off topic the Region of Peel and Town of Caledon have a new Roundabout type intersection at Old Baseline Rd and Dixie Rd. These types of intersections greatly reduce the type of impacts that can seriously hurt a motorcyclist.
    Last edited by 250R-ICE; 09-04-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 250R-ICE View Post
    On a plus side and maybe off topic the Region of Peel and Town of Caledon have a new Roundabout type intersection at Old Baseline Rd and Dixie Rd. These types of intersections greatly reduce the type of impacts that can seriously hurt a motorcyclist.
    On the plus side?! While round-abouts might eliminate the fail to yield left-turning motorist collisions for motorcyclists, they increase side-swipe and rear-end collisions because most Ontario drivers have no clue what to do when confronted with them.

From my experience with the one out near St. Jacobs, most drivers miss the yield sign posted on the entry to the circle and simply drive right into the flow of traffic. Then they get in the wrong lane, (there are two lanes in the circle), and have to cut across the flow in order to exit, usually at the last second. I still wonder what the hell they were thinking taking out a perfectly good signal and putting in that round about. I am going to have to take a run down to check this one out and see if it works any better than the one out near St. Jacobs.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

Traffic circles reduce the severity of accidents tend to increase the amount
    "Where are we going?"
    "Brantford!"
    "Yea...."

2001 Katana 600

There are fewer accidents with injuries for sure.But they baffle the people out here in Kitchener Waterloo.WE have dozens of them now.I use extreme caution in them when on two wheels.A lot of folks have no idea what to do.I stay back and piss a lot of folks off.Too bad.http://www.therecord.com/news/local/...-s-roundabouts
    Here's one from the uk.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Malks...The Roundabout I'm referring to is a single lane type , therefore it may be less confusing for drivers that have no experience. There are also numerous signs warning people ahead of time to slow down and yield. This particular intersection was an offset type originally. (look at Goggle Earth - they still show the old intersection layout). Which is one of the most dangerous and unsafe type of intersection layouts you can have. The approaching intersecting roads are now realigned and the intersection is alot safer. (slower speeds, better sightlines, less chance of head on type impacts etc,). Although the risk for a side swipe type impact may have increased, these types of impacts are alot less severe than a head on type - eg left turning vehicle in front of a motorcycle. As the driving public becomes more educated and experienced on their use, they definately will reduce the amount of serious type accidents more commonly found at signalized and unsignalized intersections. It's just going to take some time , give them a chance.
    Last edited by 250R-ICE; 09-05-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Traffic survey is over. The measuring strips are gone.

A "protest ride" is really not a good idea.

If they put speed bumps in the places that they were proposing, it isn't going to bother me. If they do it the way they did it in Alton, it isn't going to affect me (or any other motorcycle rider with any level of competence) at all. The most bother will be for the locals themselves. (Same as for most traffic control initiatives)

It could have a significant effect on emergency-response vehicles, and I believe the local emergency-response departments are fully aware of that and their position on this matter is in accordance with that.

I’m more interested in a group ride through the area. Haven’t been yet so i really don’t have much in this whole debate speed bumps or not I’m going for the scenery
    "Where are we going?"
    "Brantford!"
    "Yea...."

2001 Katana 600