Forks of the credit road to Guelph question.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forks of the credit road to Guelph question.

Forks of the credit road to Guelph question.

Just wondering,

I remember at the beginning of the summer , I wanted to ride through there all the way to Guelph but there were signs saying road closed etc. and OPP blocking off part of it so I had to turn back.

Does anyone know if this road is now open?

Thanks.

Re: Forks of the credit road to Guelph question.

The Forks of The Credit road is open with fresh new pavement, if thats the road your talking about.
    "Anyone can open the throttle and go fast, but it takes real skill to bank a motorcycle around a corner so that you feel like if you get any lower, you might **** your pants."

Quote Originally Posted by Giti View Post
    I hate cars that provoke bikers to speed or race. The outcome is always the same. We win.
    1997 Suzuki GSX-R 600
    1995 Honda XR650L
    1993 Suzuki RMX250R
    1994 Suzuki Katana GSX 600 - SOLD

Thanks Mavelick

Yea Forks is open. Was there on Sat. Road is in good shape. Newly paved sections and not much gravel.

Right now, there are 4 spots where you will see pairs of strips across the road connected to traffic monitoring instruments.

Just so y'all know ... Caledon is doing a traffic study on that road in order to establish whether traffic-calming speed bumps are warranted.

So, unless you would like speed bumps to be installed on that road ... go over those strips within the 50 km/h speed limit.

They will probably go away after a few days, whenever their survey period is complete (probably a week).

They're all on straightaways and you can see them well before getting to them. Most likely, they're in the proposed locations of the speed bumps.

Do they measure speed or just traffic volume?
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

There are two sensors side by side the same distance apart all the way across the road. That's for measuring speed. They are measuring speed AND traffic volume.

If all they were interested in was the traffic volume, there would only be one sensor, and they wouldn't have the same thing in 4 locations that don't have any intersections between them! They are measuring how fast vehicles are going at specific locations on the road where it is proposed that they are going to put a speed bump. If more than X percent of vehicles are travelling more than Y above the posted speed limit and the traffic volume is more than Z, that's the justification that they can use in the engineering study. We, the public, don't know what X, Y, and Z are. (In Toronto, apparently X is 85% and Y is 10 km/h above the limit, don't know what Z is.)

So, if you are interested in not having speed bumps on that road, let's not be giving them the engineering justification to do it. If everyone, or almost everyone, is following the speed limit anyway, then the outcome of the engineering study will be that the speed bumps are not recommended because there is no justification for them.

My contribution today was two vehicles passing through the study locations at or slightly below the posted speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Right now, there are 4 spots where you will see pairs of strips across the road connected to traffic monitoring instruments.

Just so y'all know ... Caledon is doing a traffic study on that road in order to establish whether traffic-calming speed bumps are warranted.

So, unless you would like speed bumps to be installed on that road ... go over those strips within the 50 km/h speed limit.

They will probably go away after a few days, whenever their survey period is complete (probably a week).

They're all on straightaways and you can see them well before getting to them. Most likely, they're in the proposed locations of the speed bumps.

I just came back from the Forks of the Credit River Road. I noticed the rubber strips crossing the road at two different locations. These strips are attached to devices that monitor traffic volumes. The reason they are at two different locations is that they are most likely counting the traffic in either direction. They are not used to measure speed. If they were they would have to be laid out with exact level of accuracy to determine the distance beween them and the road alignment would have to be straight. Having said that it doesn't mean the Municipality is only measuring traffic volumes. They may also be doing a speed study. In which case they will use radar type devices to determine 85% , operating speeds etc....

Brain, you may actually be correct. I just confirmed with a traffic analysist that they can determine speed by use of the Rubber strip measuring device. Apparently they place them 1 m apart and can determine speed with reasonable accuracy. Not as good as radar study, but good enough for a traffic study report.

Meh.
    Speed bumps might also solve their noise issue, since I've noticed that a lot of cruisers would bottom out on the bumps. I usually speed up a bit when I see them, just to see how much air I can catch. :P

Just because they are doing a traffic study, it doesn't mean that they are looking at speed bumps. They are many other options for traffic calming. We can always ask the Town of Caledon what their intent is for monitoring the traffic..

I know it's for speed bumps, having talked to certain local folks who have an interest in the matter ...

Alton recently installed speed bumps. They are a removable type, bolted down, so as to allow snow plowing in winter. They don't slow bikes down at all, because they are squares with gaps between them, and you can ride straight up between them.

If they DO install speed bumps, and the bumps go all the way across, it will make the noise problem *worse*, because every vehicle is now going to slow down and then accelerate on the other side of it ... and that includes all of the straight-pipe crowd.

It wouldn't be good if they install them. Even if we can ride between the bumps. What a way to ruin one of the few scenic roads we have within the GTA. I can understand some the concerns the local residents have. But there has to be a balance between the general public and local resident's concerns.

What strikes me about this whole not in my backyard movement. Is that these same people have no probelms driving their vehicles in other neighbourhoods and most likely just like all of us go above the speed limits (whether it's intentional or not)......

Quote Originally Posted by 250R-ICE View Post
    It wouldn't be good if they install them. Even if we can ride between the bumps. What a way to ruin one of the few scenic roads we have within the GTA. I can understand some the concerns the local residents have. But there has to be a balance between the general public and local resident's concerns.

What strikes me about this whole not in my backyard movement. Is that these same people have no probelms driving their vehicles in other neighbourhoods and most likely just like all of us go above the speed limits (whether it's intentional or not)......
    Thats exactly it. Bascially shut the **** up or move. I will gladly buy someones house on the forks! Trade maybe??
    "I live in my own reality, You are just a guest"

2010 GSX-R 600 (RIP - ate by a jetta)
    2011 GSX-R 600 (my 2010's evil reincarnation)

***Disclaimer: I am usually bored at work or drunk when on this forum***

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 250R-ICE View Post

Speed bumps would not ruin the scenery. It would just take away from the test track appeal of that road. The "balance" you want can be found at the track.

Nothing about speed control on that road ( whether it be by active enforcement or by physical traffic calming measures) contradicts the interests of the general public who by and large are there to sedately cruise so they can enjoy the scenery you speak of. The residents also have every right to expect reasonable speeds on a road that is one continuous stretch of limited visibility and hidden driveways because of the numerous crests, turns, and vegetation obscuring the view of the road ahead.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
    Thats exactly it. Bascially shut the **** up or move. I will gladly buy someones house on the forks! Trade maybe??
    No, your spelling is wrong. It should be "Basically, slow the **** down or move to a race track".

Either that or restrict your fast riding to YOUR neighbourood and in front of YOUR neighbours who know you and who will know where to go to direct their complaints personally.

Hey, isn't the installation of speed bumps a sure sign that the police don't believe that the threat of speeding fines will slow people down?

Quote Originally Posted by mlc View Post
    Hey, isn't the installation of speed bumps a sure sign that the police don't believe that the threat of speeding fines will slow people down?

I think the police know that it doesnt 100% deter people and in areas were it s problem seems like bumps is probably a good next step.
    "Where we're going we don't need roads"
    "Where are we going?"
    "Brantford!"
    "Oh so we do need roads?"
    "Yea...."

SOLD for restoration - 83 Honda VT250FE
    2001 Katana 600

It's rare to see major speeding on that road nowadays anyhow. Everyone knows it is a heat score and has been for years.

I think it's more a matter of local residents seeing "too much traffic" on what they perceive as "their" road, and they just want to do something - anything - to encourage traffic to go elsewhere (but where?).

Having spoken to someone with an interest in the matter (they're against it, for what it's worth) it is apparently a small but vocal minority of locals who are pressing for "something to be done" and the rest of the residents on that road are against it.

If this were really about "safety", how about parking an officer at the Shed parking lot and actually nabbing people for running that stop sign ... oh, I forgot, those would be mostly locals in their cars ... FWIW I've seen people blow through that stop sign without even slowing down, with an OPP officer in the parking lot, and he didn't do anything about it ...

Turbo you are making an assumption that all riders speed excessively or treat that road like a track. Some of us actualy do go there to enjoy the scenery and ride within reasonable limits. Alot of people complain about speed. When in fact they are complaining about the volume of traffic. They will use the speed issue as an excusse for traffic calming which in turn they intend to use as a means to reduce the traffic in the area. By making the road more of a hassel to drive on, they will assume that vehicles will find another road to travel on. Speed bumps are a hazard. Anytime you introduce a fixed object in the middle of the road, you are creating a hazard.

The road was there before the driveways were constructed. If the residents have entrance visibilty concerns they should have considered that before they purchased their properties. Why should the general public's tax dollars be spent for residents who have buyers remorse concerns. There are alot better places to spend the limited tax dollars and time invested for the few residents who basically want this road to be their own private road.

We all pay taxes and we all have a right to travel on that road. And introducing speed bumps on rural type road is not a safe alternative.