First bike - 250r

Thread: First bike - 250r

First bike - 250r

Got my first bike delivered last thursday night....spent a more than a few hours Friday and over the weekend riding it. 2011 Ninja 250r. Great bike...super easy to ride and very forgiving. Loving it so far except I did a little too much riding and now my neck and back are killing me. Taking a few days off and then back on it for the weekend hopefully. Course is next week!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.JPG  

Re: First bike - 250r

Sweet bike! I'm also looking into getting a 250 because I wanna learn quicker and push it to it's limits and mostly cuz insurance $$$ hah.
    Where are you doing the course?

Humber next Tues-Thurs.

nice.... 2011? you bought new or used? did you do the tape fender el. exhaust etc?

I got an '11 too... a black one and I got the same issues as you when I first got it....only with me it was the thumbs and wrists.

Would love to ride some time if youre not too far from me... Im in the northeast end.
    To ride or not to ride…THAT is a stupid question !!

It's a used 2011. First owner bought it in April and put 6000km's on it. He did the fender and put a new exhaust on it. My clutch wrist was just sore at the end of the rides but didn't continue....the neck/back is quite bad. I should have started out with much shorter rides to let my neck and back get used to the extra weight of the helmet and the position. Oh well! Lesson learned! Haha.

I'm in the west end....south etobicoke. Hope to be able to do a longer ride on the long weekend if I can unload the kids on their grandmother! . Be happy to have some company sometime.
    Last edited by Newrider; 08-23-2011 at 09:13 PM.

LOL!!! there is no lesson to be learned... the next day after I bought the bike I wend around lake simcoe... I believe we bought'em to ride'em...no?

Congratulations! I recognize that picture from the Kijiji ad the previous owner put up. I was actually going to have a look at it but it sold the day before I was ready to go. I have my course next weekend, i'll be picking my 250 up hopefully by the end of the week.
    We should set up a 250 ride before the end of the season.

Yup! Beat you to it I guess

Nice bike what did you pay for it?

Keep the rubber side down and congrats on the bike! Looks like a good choice!

May I suggest waiting until the course before you head out for any long rides? The course will teach you a lot of techniques, and allow you to practice them, without fear of dropping your own bike. That bike of yours looks pretty shiny, don't mess it up!

Also, see if you can get your hands on 2 books, Proficient Motorcycling, and Twist of the Wrist II. Once you start reading and understanding the physics of a motorcycle, you begin to appreciate how your inputs affect the outputs it gives you. Right now, feeling sore after a ride is somewhat normal as a newbie, but it usually indicates that you are too rigid and tight on the bike. Motorcycles respond best when given smooth, gradual inputs. If you're tight on the handlebars, you fight its natural tendencies and you pay for it with soreness. In the worst cases, it can cause you to have a lowside accident while turning or braking. Thankfully, a 250 will be very forgiving to you, so it's a good tool to use to get out of these bad habits and learn the good ones.

Keep at it, and enjoy the course! Hope to see you out there. Don't hesitate to post and ask questions, many of us are here to help! Of course, do as much reading, searching and research as you can first, to avoid asking questions that have already been answered.

Bump bump on the 250's!!!

Ive been riding 2-3 weeks now, still havnt outgrown its power. With a passenger, I can see how it lacks some. By myself, still abit scared opening up throttle and going 2-3krpm below redline. Also still releasing clutch newbishly slow(2s) after a stop lol

Also, see if you can get your hands on 2 books, Proficient Motorcycling, and Twist of the Wrist II. Once you start reading and understanding the physics of a motorcycle, you begin to appreciate how your inputs affect the outputs it gives you.
    Excelent advice from horizonxp. I'm almost done twist of the wrist and like someone else mentioned to me on this site it's like the bible for bikes.
    I think I'll leave proficient motorcycling for winter reading...

Congrats! I have the same bike, but fender still intact (for now) and stock exhaust. See you out there!