Maxxis supermoto tires?

Thread: Maxxis supermoto tires?

Maxxis supermoto tires?

Are these no longer made?

I can find them for sale in the UK at random sites but none of the Canadian dist. carry them any more and they are also gone from the actual Maxxis website.

Just curious as I have read good things about them but don't want old stock if they have stopped production. Also curious as to why, if that is the case?

Building a set of track wheels and was considering them as one option to what I would use.

Talking about.....

Re: Maxxis supermoto tires?

They are ABSOLUTE JUNK.

There are only 2 tires you should consider for a track SM setup if you want to have any sort of success with an SM bike.

The bridgestone SM tire or the Dunlop SM tire.

I raced the entire CMRC national championship in 2008 on Bridgestones from RIPP Racing, I won the SM1 National championship and had 4 podiums in 5 races in the ESMRA eastern US series and I used a total of 5 tires, not sets, 5 TIRES(2 front, 3 rear)

in 2009, I made the switch to Dunlop because I was starting to outride the Bridgestone riding at the Pro level in ESMRA and the AMA, everyone that was beating me was on dunlops, when I switched, I understood why.

"Junk" may be taking it too far. I've used a rear 165 Maxxis and a front 16.5 Dunlop on my bike combination. The grip from the tire is more than enough for a beginner rider. If you are just starting, try the Maxxis - I got a few for sale if you're interested.

To put it in comparisson, the Dunlop is good for about 2 seconds on the Nelson track for me, when compared to the Maxxis. I have a GPS lap timer, so it's not coming out of my ***.

Why they are not making them is because demand of supermoto has become almost non-existent. Not sure how accurate my information is, but I believe Dunlop are no longer producing SM tires as well, but selling old stock. I just looked at the date stamp on my brand new front and it says 09/08.
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

dropping 2 seconds a lap from a tire change for a novice level rider means the tire is JUNK.

Yea, pretty much the difference between podium and back of the group for racing.

It's fine for just ****ing around on track days though.
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

Actually I did just go through a set of Dunlops... Alpha 10 and was unable to replace them as you said, all that is left is very old stock.

That was on my KTM but I'm actually looking at a "real" SM build as in CRF for track only.

What are the current Dunlops then or... last model produced?

http://dunlopracing.com/tires-products/supermoto/

I think that may be as new as you'll get with Dunlop...Talk to Pro 6 Cycle and see if they have any newer stock.

You might have better luck with Michelin though.
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

Pro 6 will have the Dunlop KR106/108 250GP tire.

the 16.5 KR106 front is a FAR better choice.

If you're building a CRF, this is the only way to go if you want to eliminate front end chatter at high speed.

Right. Thanks for your advice guys. I suppose I'll have more questions about parts when I start this project.

The tires you post are Maxxis Goldspeed - tires made by Maxxis under the Goldspeed name, and, VSM - Vancouver Supermoto are the only place offering them in Canada that I am aware of. They cost more than Dunlops, Michelin, or Bridgestones - all of which are a better tire in my opinion.
    I have sold a few Maxxis SM slicks, true they are not as good as Dunlops which i am the "official" Dunlop SM tire sud-distributor for Ontario (through Pro6). They work well enough to start and try out SM.
    Without being bias; Dunlop rule supermoto (...and...). The KR106/KR108 are available in a couple compounds for SM and 250GP.
    Because an SM is lighter than a road racer for the most part, a suitable tire is needed to get and maintain heat so it will work effectivly on the bike and track surface, so buying a street tire for your SM track bike isn't always the best option (just an fyi) - regardless of price. Get what works. A 250GP tire will work perfectly because of the similar weight of the bikes.
    Georgy don't know where you're getting your info but look into that, Dunlop will be producing SM tires, as I know it there is a remaining stock available in their warehouse, until it diminishes why would they build more only to sit on them without guaranteed volume sales? As you noted demand fell off for SM products in general, after the AMA dropped SM racing from their line-up plenty of tire, parts, and other suppliers and builders were left with overstock. I could be mistaken here...always worth looking into for yourself

D23 good luck on the build, SM bikes are a blast, have fun.

Pete

i bought then when i began riding, that works for me!