Buy it now, or wait till next season? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buy it now, or wait till next season?

Re: Buy it now, or wait till next season?

Another reason to buy now and ride the bike rather than waiting until next season is to consolidate the skills you just learned in the course. I think if you wait until next year you'll have forgotten some important things you've been taught.

a friend of mine is selling a '99 ninja 250 for 2500 certified, his ad's in the classifieds. I'd buy now if you can easily store it for the winter, it allows everything you learned at your course to get sunk in.
    x

So here is another question, on average how late do you guys ride your bikes? Say like october, november, maybe later depending on weather. For those that don't really store their bikes, do you sometimes take the bike out for a ride during the weather, when weather permits?

Being a beginner, don't try taking the bike out in the winter. The tires that the bikes are essentially summer tires, which do not work at all in cold temperatures. Personally, I ride until the weather is not that cold (early November).

Quote Originally Posted by gorecki View Post
    So here is another question, on average how late do you guys ride your bikes? Say like october, november, maybe later depending on weather. For those that don't really store their bikes, do you sometimes take the bike out for a ride during the weather, when weather permits?
    it depends on your skill level and comfort zone. my first year i rode until mid november. snow flew a few days later.... my bike just isn't suited to riding when there's snow/ice on the road. if i had a small cc dual sport i might ride year round. that being said i have ridden in 12 consecutive months but in the winter it was 1 or 2 days just to say i rode in that month and it was unseasonably warm those days.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Oh yeah, also increase your search distance on Kijiji to the boonies. Farther you go from GTA, lower the prices will get (like in rural Ontario).
    Good point here, I saved a bunch by picking up my bike in Graverhurst. Just borrow a pickup truck from someone & for the price of a tank of gas you can potentially save big $$. I figure the bike I bought would have cost at least $1000 more in the GTA than what I paid for it. I would say buy now or in the coming months & don't get hung up on having the latest greatest machine. Odds are you'll learn on it and move on later anyway. It's always a great feeling to buy something, use it for a couple of years, and then sell it for almost what you paid. Be smart now and that could be you.

Longer you wait after the rider training course, more you will realize that you are forgetting. Not necessarily how to ride or riding techniques but mostly all the info and tips that they keep feeding you during the course. I wish I could get my first bike as I got my M2, but I had to wait for two months to put the $$ together, and I was surprised how I forgot some things so fast in those 2months.

As number two, if you are considering buying a used i.e Ninja, they are quite hard to find during spring. And if you do find the right bike that you want, the prices are much higher than it is at the moment.

For last, I know this now after riding for 6K kms this season since June; if I didnt have a bike, I would work 24-7 to put the money together until I have enough to walk out from moto shop with a bike =) First priority really lol so I would get my first bike even if it was November now, just for the possibility of few days of riding. Last season there were people riding in January ! A few days it was around 6Celsius.

Get it now, you won't regret it for sure !!!! It will def help you keep the instructions at moto course alive in your memory over the winter.

Thanks for all the tips. I really want to buy one now seeing some of the price drops going on but I would have to go into debt to do it. I realize it would be good for my learning curve to be on a bike as soon as possible after taking the M2 course.

I have also noticed prices can be a lot better outside major cities. I found an almost brand new Ninja 250 for 3K but it was sold within a day of being posted.

If the prices will really drop at the end of the season, I think I'll wait until then. I can use the money I save on some better gear or mods.