Buy it now, or wait till next season?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy it now, or wait till next season?

Lightbulb Buy it now, or wait till next season?

Hi everybody,

Another noob question here. I recently got my M2. I know the season is almost over but there’s still two months left (September and October). Initially, I was thinking of buying a bike right now because
    1. I might be able to find something cheaper as the end of season is near. I’m thinking cbr 250 or ninja 250. The trouble I’m having is buying new or used. I don’t wanna drop 6K on a new bike, but if a used one is costing me $4500…. I might as well buy new. But with only two months left, I don’t wanna buy in a rush either.
    2. My biggest concern is Insurance. I’d rather start building my insurance history right away so that in two to three years time, when I wanna switch over to 600 CC +, my insurance cost will be down. However, if I wait till next April, I’m putting this off for another 8 months. I don’t wanna do that. I was thinking of asking a friend or someone to add me to their insurance policy as an occasional driver. If they incur any additional cost of adding me, I’ll pay them for it. What I’m wondering about is that if this be counted towards those 2-3 years of insurance history or do I have to have insurance on “my own bike” to get a discount after three years? I’m wondering if anyone else has done it like that in the past.
    Before going in either direction, I just thought I’ll ask all the experienced riders here. What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mr. ActionTime

Re: Buy it now, or wait till next season?

Sounds kinda like me!

You should be able to find some good deals on new 2011 Ninja 250s this time of the year. I know a few retailers are selling them for $4,500 right now Kawasaki is actually offering a $300 discount, plus whatever other discounts the retailer is offering.

Most insurance companies adjust your rate based on years licensed, not years insured, so there's little to no advantage in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheCanuck View Post
    Sounds kinda like me!

Most insurance companies adjust your rate based on years licensed, not years insured, so there's little to no advantage in that respect.
    Are you sure about this? Because my major motivation to buy urgently is insurance.

Btw, what's your situation like these days? did you get your M2 recently as well?

What's your age and how long have you had your G?

I don't think how long you've had insurance affects your insurance cost. I'm pretty certain it's based on age, how long you've had your M2/M/G and the type of bike you plan to ride...

Quote Originally Posted by MR_ActionTime View Post
    Are you sure about this? Because my major motivation to buy urgently is insurance.

Btw, what's your situation like these days? did you get your M2 recently as well?
    Positive. Have a look at this thread: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...urance-Premium

I actually don't even have my M2 yet. I just passed my MSF last weekend though, so I'm counting the days until I can go in and grab my M2. Like you, I'm debating buying my bike now or next spring. Looking at the Ninja 250 as well. I'm just trying to see if I can afford it. I bought all my gear already plus the cost of the MSF has set me back quite a bit. I can afford the bike, it's the cost of the insurance that is making it difficult to commit to right now.

What I may end up doing is buying the bike now, since the price is right this time of season, and waiting until spring to ride (and insure) it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnie View Post
    What's your age and how long have you had your G?

I don't think how long you've had insurance affects your insurance cost. I'm pretty certain it's based on age, how long you've had your M2/M/G and the type of bike you plan to ride...
    I'm 28 and have had G for almost 5 years.

The thing is that if I get a quote for 250cc right now, I get like $100/month. But if I try for 600 cc +, the insurance rate jumps to 200+ a month. What I want to do is start building that clean record so that within 2-3 years, when I switch to 600 cc +, the insurance is not insane. That's what my main concern is with Insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by MR_ActionTime View Post
    I'm 28 and have had G for almost 5 years.

The thing is that if I get a quote for 250cc right now, I get like $100/month. But if I try for 600 cc +, the insurance rate jumps to 200+ a month. What I want to do is start building that clean record so that within 2-3 years, when I switch to 600 cc +, the insurance is not insane. That's what my main concern is with Insurance.
    There is another insurance drop at 30, which is a great time to pick up that 600cc.

I would suggest either a used Ninja 250 or SV650. I'm on a Ninja 250, it's a great beginner bike, but honestly, the extra power of the 650 would've been nice. That said, you can likely pick either of these up for 3-3.5k. Don't pay attention to the idiots selling theirs for 4.5k. Wait it out, and find that deal. You may have to venture out of the GTA a little bit, but it will be worth it.

Something seems off...

Without prior motorcycle insurance I was quoted $65/month if I'm over 25. (That is with M2 ownership and 5+ years of G).

Buy in September and you'll get at least 8 weeks of riding in. A lot of folks do not want to store the bike over the winter. Some are going back to school and need the cash! This is a good time to buy a bike. If you wait until the beginning of next season you'll be shocked at the mark up! Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnie View Post
    Something seems off...

Without prior motorcycle insurance I was quoted $65/month if I'm over 25. (That is with M2 ownership and 5+ years of G).
    Does that estimate only apply if you have your car, home, and life insured by the same company? Or is that a standalone quote?

I'm 31, had my full G only for about a year (I had my G2 for a long time before finally switching). Bought my FZ6 (600cc) a week after I got my M1, insurance is only $700/year. When I get my M2, insurance won't change. Btw, I'm also married, and also have my auto and home insurance with the same company, so I guess that brings some discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by flameboy182 View Post
    Does that estimate only apply if you have your car, home, and life insured by the same company? Or is that a standalone quote?
    I have no other insurance with State Farm. A few of my friends, under 25, pay the same rate as well.

now now now now now!!!!!

Like you guys I just got my M2 (finished my MSF) and now I'm flip flopping on whether or not to buy in the fall or wait until spring. Will the prices be crazy inflated as Pedagogue mentioned. I've seen a few Ninja 250s going for 3000-4000 and that is my budget.

my Ninja 650 on sale for $3800 this weekend only. See my Sig for details
    New to me for 2012.

Best time to buy is January, right after Christmas when everyone gets their visa bills back, and need to seel the toy they aren't using and that has been on Kijiji for awhile. Do not buy in April because "the spring-time is when young men's minds turn to motorcycles".

That my 2 coppers

If you're willing to resist the temptation, the prices will drop good 15-20% come October or especially November. Many people will upgrade and will have no space to store the bike, or some people won't have space to store a single bike or will not want to carry insurance, etc etc. That's how I got my first bike, saved a lot! (Saved a lot on 2nd bike by buying it from the States ).

Oh yeah, also increase your search distance on Kijiji to the boonies. Farther you go from GTA, lower the prices will get (like in rural Ontario).

Buy now, but only because it's a good time to buy a bike.
    As mentioned, insurance "experience" starts from the day you get your M2. It has nothing to do with how many years you have been riding a bike.

I got my first bike in march but got my M2 in 2009.
    When I did the quote, he asked when I got my M2, not how long I have been actually riding (which was pretty much nil).
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

I just bought a new bike. Go for it, you'll get a better deal than you would next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    If you're willing to resist the temptation, the prices will drop good 15-20% come October or especially November. Many people will upgrade and will have no space to store the bike, or some people won't have space to store a single bike or will not want to carry insurance, etc etc. That's how I got my first bike, saved a lot! (Saved a lot on 2nd bike by buying it from the States ).

Oh yeah, also increase your search distance on Kijiji to the boonies. Farther you go from GTA, lower the prices will get (like in rural Ontario).
    Wowzers. Never knew that that prices would drop that much. Good thing I'm a patient man lol

There are a few bike I have had my eye on and I've noticed that prices are slowly going down little by little...