Insurance under my dad???

Thread: Insurance under my dad???

Insurance under my dad???

So right now i got my ninja 250 and its completely legit my insurance my ownership, my dad has a 1985 honda shadow 500, for next year is it possible for him to be primary on his bike plus a 600ss for me and id be number 2 on it? Also this year my mom got a bike and my brother got his licence so 4 riders in our house, 3 bikes and its everyones first season. My other idea was what if my dad kept his insurance where it is and then insured a bike for me with a different company where id be number 2. Would any of this work?

Re: Insurance under my dad???

One of the insurance guru's will hopefully chime in but I was under the impression your Dad's insurance rates will be based on the highest risk rider in the house. Meaning you or your brother so his rates will be much higher than if he was insuring the bike for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by woobie View Post
    One of the insurance guru's will hopefully chime in but I was under the impression your Dad's insurance rates will be based on the highest risk rider in the house. Meaning you or your brother so his rates will be much higher than if he was insuring the bike for himself.
    well i know its just an online quote but through td i got to choose who was primary and who was secondary. When i first did it i got a quote for just my dad then after i added myself and i dont think it changed, then i put myself as primary and i almost crapped my clothes

Sure you can be #2, but if your going to be riding it full time or most of the time you must disclose that or they can deny your claim if they find out that are the primary rather then the secondary rider (aka... insurance fraud). Same with your mom/brother.

Another note is that even if the policy is under your dads name they will still charge according to the highest risk rider which would be your brother/mom because they have 0 experience.

P.S Above ONLY applies if they are not listed as ocasional driver/rider but a secondary driver/rider (I dont believe you can be an ocasional driver if you live under the same address as the primary operator though).
    Last edited by Sushii; 08-20-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Why don't you just tell the truth to your insurance company like the rest of us and pay the appropriate premiums.

Every time someone like you lies to your insurance company about what bike you ride or what bike your Dad rides my premium goes up.

I know you're going to blame the insurance companies, and that's a topic for another discussion but if we stay on point you lying raises my premiums to cover your lies.

The insurance company is not stupid -- they will automatically assign you as a principal operator on one of the bikes. Being "number 2" on a bike that you ride the majority of the time is insurance fraud.

Also, the fact that you are looking at a 600CC Sport bike is a "number 2" idea. Clearly you have more research that you need to do.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Stop trying to scam the insurance companies. Just be honest and truthful.

So im guessing everyone on bikes dont do this but everyone thats young and has their first car does or atleast the majority of ppl i know.

Don't bother. They are going to charge you as primary on the 600cc. I though having my bike under my fathers name would help too. It didn't. Put your time in and eventually it will be worth it.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smackenz View Post
    So im guessing everyone on bikes dont do this but everyone thats young and has their first car does or atleast the majority of ppl i know.
    Insurance companies are much less forgiving with motorcycles. They will assign the highest-rated operator to the highest-rated bike. A 600CC sport bike is a very poor choice of bike for a new rider anyway. Please read this article:

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/...p?topic=6707.0
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)