Strange request - mandating installation of a device on an engine

Thread: Strange request - mandating installation of a device on an engine

Strange request - mandating installation of a device on an engine

Hi friends. I am looking for examples of legislation that mandates the installation of a device ( any device) on an engine.

All i can think of is the requirement for catalytic converters but was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Re: Strange request - mandating installation of a device on an engine

Look under emissions control stuff.

I recently read an article about Mazda's new line of diesels, and there was mention in the article about how they won't be ready for Canada yet because of what they needed to put on the engine (turbo's etc.).

Practically all emission and noise control equipment is mandated. Generally it isn't mandated "thou shalt have a catalytic converter", but what's mandated are the emission limits of CO, HC, NOx, evaporative emissions when the engine is not running, etc., and these limits in turn largely dictate the course of action for the manufacturer. The manufacturer declares the emission control equipment used on the vehicle (it's on a sticker somewhere on the vehicle) and that's what must be on the vehicle for it to be in compliance with emission regulations.

For automotive applications, OBD-II (on-board diagnostics) has been mandated since 1996.

Closed crankcase venting (the crankcase has to be vented into the engine air intake) has been mandated on automotive applications since the late 1960's and were the first emission control device to ever be mandated.

If you are talking about something other than emissions or noise, please specify.

Banned

Speed governors on big trucks is another.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Practically all emission and noise control equipment is mandated. Generally it isn't mandated "thou shalt have a catalytic converter", but what's mandated are the emission limits of CO, HC, NOx, evaporative emissions when the engine is not running, etc., and these limits in turn largely dictate the course of action for the manufacturer. The manufacturer declares the emission control equipment used on the vehicle (it's on a sticker somewhere on the vehicle) and that's what must be on the vehicle for it to be in compliance with emission regulations.

For automotive applications, OBD-II (on-board diagnostics) has been mandated since 1996.

Closed crankcase venting (the crankcase has to be vented into the engine air intake) has been mandated on automotive applications since the late 1960's and were the first emission control device to ever be mandated.

If you are talking about something other than emissions or noise, please specify.
    It doesn't have to be limited to emissions or noise, but they are certainly a part of what I am looking at.

Hmm where can I find the legislation ( if any ) mandating ODB-II and Closed crankcase venting

actually I am looking for something that says ( thou shalt have xxx ) as opposed to ( thou shalt not remove xxx )

(Not limited to Ontario)
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Here is the epa website with emission specific regulations:

http://www.epa.gov/lawsregs/regulations/