Brake pad "bed-in"

Thread: Brake pad "bed-in"

Brake pad "bed-in"

How should I "bed-in" new brake pads on my track bike? I can't quite follow the instructions on the track...Can I just replace pads and ride as usual?Should I resurface the rotors?What do you do?
    2008 DUCATI 848

Re: Brake pad "bed-in"

If the new pads are a different pad than what you're replacing you should scour the rotors to remove the old brake pad material. You can get heads to work in any drill that will make it an easy job. You'll have to remove the rotors from the wheel to get to the back side though.

If the new pads are the same as the old ones you don't need to scour the rotors.

Then go for a ride.. brake moderately hard 5-6 times then let them cool down completely.
    Last edited by caboose483; 08-19-2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: clarity

Re: Brake pad "bed-in"

It's important to understand what the bed-in process is so that you don't get caught up in opinions.
    Stainless steel brake rotors are actually poor for coefficient of friction but they are extremely durable. Brake pads are designed to deposit a layer of pad material on the rotors to increase the CoF. The process of depositing pad material requires heat but not as much as during regular operation, therefore you should brake moderately (as Tim said) a number of times. It can be done during an on-track session but it requires real restraint to not over-heat them.
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com