What Brand Steering Damper Do You Use? (And Why?)

View Poll Results: What Brand Damper Do You Use?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ohlins

9 39.13%
  • Scotts

3 13.04%
  • GPR

1 4.35%
  • HyperPro

8 34.78%
  • Other

2 8.70%

Thread: What Brand Steering Damper Do You Use? (And Why?)

What Brand Steering Damper Do You Use? (And Why?)

I just ordered an Ohlins for my CBR Track Bike... I was looking at Scotts, GPR and Hyperpro, but each one had mixed reviews. The classic Ohlins was the only one of those that didn't have a severely negative review (side-mounted ones were mixed mainly because they aren't low-side friendly).

I should have it in a week or so
    Last edited by Mr.Azim; 08-18-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Re: What Brand Steering Damper Do You Use? (And Why?)

Bitubo, with a custom top mount setup (ordered). Just because that is the damper being offered by the folks making the mounts for my bike.
    It's never too late for a happy childhood...

Ohlins is the gold standard.

The newer Hyperpro dampers are decent though.

scott's blow.

Hyperpro RSC.

I got it used off of R6-forum last year at a good price, and wanted one before I hit the track.
    Not my choice of color, but I painted both brackets black, and pulled the stickers off of the damper.

TMP is pretty bumpy, and there's been a few times where I was glad I had a damper. I've got it set 8 clicks out from zero. (22 adjustment positions available). Still get slight headshake sometimes with the damper @ 8, but no loss of feel or control. And most importantly the damper stops the shake from getting away from you. Invisible until you need it.

EDIT: Checked last TD and I have it set to 8 clicks out from nill.
    Last edited by Panici; 08-27-2011 at 03:19 AM.
    Mods: Armor Bodies Superbike bodywork, BT-003 RS, Renthal 50mm Clipons, Bickle warmers, etc, etc...Gear: ATGATT down to the mouthguard.A few vintage Yamaha bikes.http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/a...ksigDay4T2.jpg

HyperPro RSC on my SV650S. Not sure how much it matters on the SV. I like it because of the mount stability and smooth action. I had an Öhlins on my old track bike and the mount was such that the damper would bounce up and down all the time, and the damper itself had a non-smooth action. Almost felt like it had air inside. It worked well, but just didn't seem as good as it should be for Öhlins.
    -Dave
    2003 SV650S track bike, 2001 CBR929RR street bike

Quote Originally Posted by YellowDuck View Post
    Bitubo, with a custom top mount setup (ordered). Just because that is the damper being offered by the folks making the mounts for my bike.
    Can I ask where you ordered the custom top mount setup and for roughly what price? The Bitubo dealer quote for the replacement stock aluminum mount for my 03 600RR was quite high and I’ve been trying to find a steel replacement if available.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Can I ask where you ordered the custom top mount setup and for roughly what price? The Bitubo dealer quote for the replacement stock aluminum mount for my 03 600RR was quite high and I’ve been trying to find a steel replacement if available.
    Sorry, it's a special production run just for the Ducati Sport Classics. Design was by Wasp Works and current run is via JCPakbikes. Won't be any use to you I'm afraid. Whole kit is over $700.
    It's never too late for a happy childhood...