Kawasaki 650R questions - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki 650R questions

Re: Kawasaki 650R questions

Yea, that's what I saying. The spring doesn't seem to be keeping it up like it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    The spring is to assist in retraction of the sidestand, and keeping it up, not to help it be deployed.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    11 CBR250R (Current - Wife's)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Questions #6: Does the turn signal off switch seem a little stiff or hard to press on other 2006 650R bikes? Because mine seems a little hard to press and sometimes I'm not pressing it hard enough to turn signal off. I greased it with 10W40, but not much improvement.

and another, #7: Is a bit of vibration in the front plastics normal at high revs? I suspect it is.... now to find what plastics are making noise!
    Last edited by RodneyBR; 08-19-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

I was speaking to a car guy today about regular (87) vs. supreme (91-94) fuel and he says the higher the better. I checked the 650R's user manual and it's says 87 minimum, so not sure which is best to use. I put 91 in and all seems to be fine. Still a little unsure on this one.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

The stand return spring may be damaged, improperly installed, or someone may have lost the original and used one from another bike.

Someone already linked you to the 650R/ER-6n FAQ page. The fairing vibration is a known problem and the solution is posted there: http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~sh... Vibration.pdf

You would be better off using something like lithium grease, than WD-40, in your signal switch. Open it up and check for corrosion, while you're at it.

Go for 91 octane. It'll be fine. Higher octane is specifically to avoid engine knock, in high compression engines, as I mentioned earlier.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Kickstand issue: Yea, that's what I was thinking

Fairing vibration: WOW... Great detailed guide, might do over the winter.

Turn signal issue: Lithium grease eh... I did take it apart and everything seems ok to me. Maybe just worn with use, this is after all a 2006. IfI replace that part, I can't imagine it being to expensive.

Yea, I kinda figured that 91 octane should be better than 87.

The stand return spring may be damaged, improperly installed, or someone may have lost the original and used one from another bike.

Someone already linked you to the 650R/ER-6n FAQ page. The fairing vibration is a known problem and the solution is posted there: http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~sh... Vibration.pdf

You would be better off using something like lithium grease, than WD-40, in your signal switch. Open it up and check for corrosion, while you're at it.

Go for 91 octane. It'll be fine. Higher octane is specifically to avoid engine knock, in high compression engines, as I mentioned earlier.
    Last edited by RodneyBR; 08-19-2011 at 10:18 PM.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Questions #8: Average revs. 4,000-6,000? I find myself at at 6,000-7,000 a lot. I like to have that extra push if need be.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Question #9: Egine knocking a little at idle, fuel? I put 91 octane in the bike last, could that be why? More knocking with higher octane fuels or does it work the other way?
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyBR View Post
    Questions #8: Average revs. 4,000-6,000? I find myself at at 6,000-7,000 a lot. I like to have that extra push if need be.
    Same here. No issue. You're at around 5,500 rpm in top gear, at 120 Kmh. You could conceivably get around pretty much everywhere, while never going over 7,000 rpm, and never use your top two gears.

Question #9: Egine knocking a little at idle, fuel? I put 91 octane in the bike last, could that be why? More knocking with higher octane fuels or does it work the other way?
    Moving, or sitting still? Try taking the engine out of gear and coasting, and see if the noise is still there while the engine is only idling. Could be something like stuck links on the chain.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

in regards to the gas if the manual specifies 87 then 87 is fine how ever our 87 and 89 grades have ethanol in them. if your bike sits around lots (less than a tank a week) you will want to upgrade to 91 and when you go to store your bike for the winter put 91 in it.
    x

Sitting still when I first start bike I hear a little knocking. Could be a normal engine noise for the 650R, not sure. I'm the type that notices almost anything, which can be good and bad. LOL I'm also getting a little annoyed with the vibrating platics, but that's something known and fixable.I just filled up with 87 octane (used 91 before) let's see if it happens now. If it goes away it's the fuel, otherwise, not sure.
    Moving, or sitting still? Try taking the engine out of gear and coasting, and see if the noise is still there while the engine is only idling. Could be something like stuck links on the chain.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

I try and get out every day for an hour, so 87 octane should be fine I guess. I'd like to know thou what other 650R owners use.
    Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    in regards to the gas if the manual specifies 87 then 87 is fine how ever our 87 and 89 grades have ethanol in them. if your bike sits around lots (less than a tank a week) you will want to upgrade to 91 and when you go to store your bike for the winter put 91 in it.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

I try and get out every day for an hour, so 87 octane should be fine I guess. I'd like to know thou what other 650R owners use.
    I put 91 in mine. I don't have a good reason for it though, the price difference is negligible, and I figure the fuel cleaner additives can't hurt that are in the higher grade fuel.
    '09 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - Green - Current
    '10 Kawasaki Ninja 250R -
    Black - 9000km - Sold
    '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R -
    Red - 5000km - R.I.P.

Question #10: What oil and oil filter is best to use, conventional/synthetic oil or oem/original oil filter? Also, how often to change, some say very 1500KM or sooner?
    Last edited by RodneyBR; 08-21-2011 at 02:39 PM.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Yea, I can't see how 91 octane fuel can hurt either, but maybe since it's more combustable it might push the engine beyond intended limits. IDK
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaneris View Post
    I put 91 in mine. I don't have a good reason for it though, the price difference is negligible, and I figure the fuel cleaner additives can't hurt that are in the higher grade fuel.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Yea, I can't see how 91 octane fuel can hurt either, but maybe since it's more combustable it might push the engine beyond intended limits. IDK
    it's not more combustable, it's that it has higher octane to prevent pre-combustion (engine knock) in higher compression engines.

for an idea of what octane rating is read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

h
    igher octane gas in canada doesn't have any more energy because it is a higher octane, 91 just has higher energy because it is not cut with ethanol.
    x

12. What the best engine treatment? Some have recommended Seafoam.
    Last edited by RodneyBR; 08-22-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

The best engine treatment is regular maintenance, regular oil changes, good gas, and proper off-season storage. A little injector cleaner, once in a blue moon, couldn't hurt. Most of the rest of it is snake oil, or meant for older engines.

Cool, you recommend any particular brand?

The best engine treatment is regular maintenance, regular oil changes, good gas, and proper off-season storage. A little injector cleaner, once in a blue moon, couldn't hurt. Most of the rest of it is snake oil, or meant for older engines.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    it's not more combustable, it's that it has higher octane to prevent pre-combustion (engine knock) in higher compression engines.

for an idea of what octane rating is read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

h
    igher octane gas in canada doesn't have any more energy because it is a higher octane, 91 just has higher energy because it is not cut with ethanol.
    +1 on that - higher octane is for higher compression engines not the 650 R (11.3:1 compared to BMW S1000RR 13:1 needs premium). In fact it burns slower to prevent preignition in high compression engines so that it doesn't "knock". In our engines it wouldn't make a power or mileage difference, in fact if anything it could make it worse since there is lower compression it needs a more combustable fuel. Granted higher grades have more additives but that's more marketing than anything. I go with manual recommended myself and haven't had any issues at all. There are many threads out on the interwebs about this and it really is an ongoing debate (much like synth vs dino oil!).

My advice - go with what works for you and your wallet, spend more money on regular maintenance, good gear and enjoy the ride and don't sweat the small stuff!!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    His: 2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R [ZG touring screen - smoke, Woodcraft frame sliders, silver passenger grab handles]
    Hers: 2007 Black Honda CBR125R (for now)

Cool, you recommend any particular brand?
    No particular preference here.