Kawasaki 650R questions

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki 650R questions

Kawasaki 650R questions

I have a 2006 Kawasaki 650R and have a few questions:

1. Tire pressure. The manual says 36psi for back and 32psi for front. However, the tires say 42psi cold, both front and back. So I inflated both to 40psi. What's correct?
    2. The spring preload says the default setting is 3 for a 165lbs rider with no passenger. The guy who owned the bike before had it set to 2, which is soft. So I set it to 4, since I'm 170lbs-180lbs, and soon my wife will be on the back. What's the best all around setting?
    3. What's the preferred chain lube?
    4. What kind of Fuel should it use? Here in Ontario, there's three general options; regular, premium and supreme. Should I fill up with the highest octane/most expensive fuel? I'm filling up with the bes fuel at the moment.

Any other recommendations/suggestions/comments are very appreciated.
    Last edited by RodneyBR; 08-19-2011 at 08:32 AM.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    11 CBR250R (Current - Wife's)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Re: Kawasaki 650R questions

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyBR View Post
    I have a 2006 Kawasaki 650R and have a few questions:1. Tire pressure. The manual says 36psi for back and 32psi for front. However, the tires say 42psi cold, both front and back. So I inflated both to 40psi. What's correct?2. The spring preload says the default setting is 3 for a 165lbs rider with no passenger. The guy who owned the bike before had it set to 2, which is soft. So I set it to 4, since I'm 170lbs-180lbs, and soon my wife will be on the back. What's the best all around setting?3. What's the preferred chain lube?4. What kind of Fuel should it use? Here in Ontario, there's three general options; regular, premium and supreme. Should I fill up with the highest octane/most expensive fuel? I'm filling up with the bes fuel at the moment.Any other recommendations/suggestions/comments are very appreciated.
    Tire pressure was discussed in other threads. My guess is that the tires on the bike are not OEM, so the pressure on the tire wall is your best bet.
    Looks like you did well with the spring preload features..
    Chain lube - huge subject. My preferred one is the teflon-based spray lube. Riders choice sells nice kit with the cleaning spring, spray-on cleaner (kerosene in a can) and the chain lube (Tyrox).
    Use the fuel type that your manual recommends. In Ontario - regular = 87, premium = 89, supreme = 91.

I have a 2009 650R.
    Agree with the tire pressure answer ViperZ gave.
    I use Chain Wax but like ViperZ mentioned, lots of debate and personal preference on that. I think honestly it's a matter of using decent stuff and doing it on a regualar basis that matters more.
    As for the fuel - manual recommends 87 (regular) - no need to put anything different in it, wasting money if you do (not that it's a big tank) - lots of threads about fuel and really what it comes down to is compression and going by what the manual recommends, every engine is different.

Hope that helps.

Just my take on things...
    1.) Manual will spec tire psi for factory supplied tires that is "happy medium". I inflate my tires just below what the tire says FWIW, leaves room for PSI build up when hot.
    2.) Start with the level 4 you have now. When you 2-up the wife, fine tune if needed.
    3.) PJ1 Blue Label for O-ring chain lube.
    4.) I'm not 100% for you bike, but put whatever grade the OM tells you to. Running 89/91/94 in an engine that only need 87 will just make life harder on the engine. Especially when starting. The lower the rating ie 87, the more volatile the fuel is...high performance engines spec a higher grade because they have higher compression ratios, and need a fuel that won't ignite under the compression before it's supposed to.

Hope that helps.
    "I plan to live forever...so far so good".

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

I have a 2006 Kawasaki 650R and have a few questions:1. Tire pressure. The manual says 36psi for back and 32psi for front. However, the tires say 42psi cold, both front and back. So I inflated both to 40psi. What's correct?
    You go with what is specified by the vehicle manufacturer just like every other vehicle. The number on the tire is just the maximum. It has nothing to do with what you should set it at. Most people will recommend you go a couple PSI over if you have a passenger. Although none of my other vehicles have this my SAAB actually lists many different tire pressures depending on number of passengers and intended travel speed. I usually set my pressure a little above recommended on my vehicles for better fuel economy but this will not result in optimum tire wear, traction, and handling that the manufacturer designed for and could potentially reduce your traction to unsafe levels. I can definitely tell the difference between my rear tire at 36 psi and 40 psi in regards to grip.

2. The spring preload says the default setting is 3 for a 165lbs rider with no passenger. The guy who owned the bike before had it set to 2, which is soft. So I set it to 4, since I'm 170lbs-180lbs, and soon my wife will be on the back. What's the best all around setting?
    The best all around setting for you would be 4 if that's what the manual said. You knock it up to max (since you + passenger will always weigh more than the suspension adjustment is intended for) for a passenger (which takes about 30 seconds to do including getting the tools out.

3. What's the preferred chain lube?
    Personal preference. Most people will suggest Dupont Teflon Multilube these days. Remember to check your chain slack on regular intervals.

4. What kind of Fuel should it use? Here in Ontario, there's three general options; regular, premium and supreme. Should I fill up with the highest octane/most expensive fuel? I'm filling up with the bes fuel at the moment.Any other recommendations/suggestions/comments are very appreciated.
    If the manual specifies 87 (which it does) go with 87. This is another one that applies to every vehicle (like cars)... use what the manual suggests. Using a higher octane fuel will do nothing but cost you more money and can actually result in a decrease in power and increase in fuel consumption, unlike what the marketing tries to tell you.
    Last edited by unL33T; 08-18-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Book mark this site

Tons of great info including the PDF files for the shop manual

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~shanetp/Index.html
    New to me for 2012.

On top of the above site here are some other good ones:

ninja650shop.com
    riderforums.com
    kawiforums.com
    brp650forum.com
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.

Thanks. I put 91 in, and but I suspect there was 87 already in there, so it's a mix. I'll just use regular from now on.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Tire pressure was discussed in other threads. My guess is that the tires on the bike are not OEM, so the pressure on the tire wall is your best bet.Looks like you did well with the spring preload features..Chain lube - huge subject. My preferred one is the teflon-based spray lube. Riders choice sells nice kit with the cleaning spring, spray-on cleaner (kerosene in a can) and the chain lube (Tyrox).Use the fuel type that your manual recommends. In Ontario - regular = 87, premium = 89, supreme = 91.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Tire pressure was discussed in other threads. My guess is that the tires on the bike are not OEM, so the pressure on the tire wall is your best bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dodes View Post
    Agree with the tire pressure answer ViperZ gave.
    Can I have a link to the thread discussing this that says you should go with the number on the sidewall? Literally everything I have ever read or been taught is that the sidewall number is only a maximum, nothing to do with the recommended which is always specified by the vehicle manufacturer unless the tire manufacturer recommends something for your specific bike.

I know I've bought tires for my car that say 52 psi on them but there is no way you should actually run them at that on most cars.

Bit of a debate on tire pressure. Go with what manual says or what's on tire?
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

For tire pressure I'm going by the manual.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Well so far I just find things supporting what I said...

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/...re-School.aspx
    Always keep the motorcycle manufacturer's recommended air pressure in both tires. This is an important requirement for tire safety and mileage. Your motorcycle owner’s manual will tell you the recommended cold inflation pressure. On some motorcycles, the recommended front and rear tire pressures will be different. The pressures stamped on the sidewall of the tire are only for maximum loads. On some occasions, these pressures will also be the manufacturer’s recommended settings as well.
    http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maint...ires-tyres.htm
    Always keep the motorcycle manufacturer's recommended air pressure in both tires. This is an important requirement for tire safety and mileage. Your motorcycle owner’s manual will tell you the recommended cold inflation pressure. On some motorcycles, the recommended front and rear tire pressures will be different. The pressures stamped on the sidewall of the tire are only for maximum loads. On some occasions, these pressures will also be the manufacturers recommended settings as well.
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/p...ireSafTips.htm
    Look in your motorcycle owner's manual to find the right PSI (pounds per square inch) of air pressure for your tires.
    Although the first two are exactly the same quote, lol. I did find something saying if your tires aren't OEM you can call the tire manufacturer to ask them what they recommend but it is still not the number on the side as that is just the max.

Bit of a debate on tire pressure. Go with what manual says or what's on tire?
    The tire manufacturer's website may actually have recommendations as to pressure, for the specific bike. For example the Pirelli website gives pressure, in Bar, on their "fits your bike" page. Their recommendations, for both the Diablo and Angel range of tires, are essentially 33# (32.6) front and 36# (36.2) rear.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    Can I have a link to the thread discussing this that says you should go with the number on the sidewall? Literally everything I have ever read or been taught is that the sidewall number is only a maximum, nothing to do with the recommended which is always specified by the vehicle manufacturer unless the tire manufacturer recommends something for your specific bike.

I know I've bought tires for my car that say 52 psi on them but there is no way you should actually run them at that on most cars.
    Yep. Sidewall is max pressure for the tire. The manual provides recommended for the bike. Adjust from there. Less for more grip and therefore more wear and more for better mileage. Within reason.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

I have a 2006 Kawasaki 650R and have a few questions:1. Tire pressure. The manual says 36psi for back and 32psi for front. However, the tires say 42psi cold, both front and back. So I inflated both to 40psi. What's correct?2. The spring preload says the default setting is 3 for a 165lbs rider with no passenger. The guy who owned the bike before had it set to 2, which is soft. So I set it to 4, since I'm 170lbs-180lbs, and soon my wife will be on the back. What's the best all around setting?3. What's the preferred chain lube?4. What kind of Fuel should it use? Here in Ontario, there's three general options; regular, premium and supreme. Should I fill up with the highest octane/most expensive fuel? I'm filling up with the bes fuel at the moment.Any other recommendations/suggestions/comments are very appreciated.
    Tire Pressure - See my previous post. It's more likely to be close to the bike manufacturer's numbers, that to the maximum pressure listed on the sidewalls.

Spring Preload - This should be set to whatever setting gets you closest to 30mm-40mm compression with you sitting upright on the bike with your full weight, from the full extension of the shock. You have limited adjustments, but this may help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBlqVx4mWUw

There are a Metric Tonne of chain lubes out there. Most of them are pretty good. PJ1, Maxxia Chain Wax, Castrol motorcycle chain lube, even WD-40. Whichever one you choose just make sure that you apply it regularly (I go for every 300-500 Km *EDIT* and when the chain is still hot from a ride), and after each time it rains. Wipe off the excess that's on the outside of the sideplates with a rag, but leave a film behind to inhibit corrosion. This will help avoid having your chain cake up with road crap. Also make sure that you clean the chain once in a while, perhaps once a month, with either kerosene or WD-40.

I ride a ER-6n, basically the Ninja 650R without clothes, and I run mid-grade gas. The best performance that you'll get is from the lowest octane number you can use, without detonation. I play it safe and go mid-grade. I also run 32/36 for tire pressure.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 08-18-2011 at 05:17 PM.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Couple other questions:

continuing from other questions...
    5. Does the kick stand for the 650R have a weak spring? Because it seems to me that the string is not keeping the kick stand into place like it should. It also slips outwards. Not sure if this is normal or what.

More questions to come.... LOL
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

My kickstand does slip out a bit on a slippery surface like the smooth concrete in my garage which made me a bit leary at first. I've sat on mine with the stand down and full weight on the bike and no probs.

The spring on my kickstand seems plenty strong. Mine also slips outward after I initially put it down. Especially if I get off it with the handlebars straight and then turn them to lock it after I'm off. I've also sat on mine with full weight on it, even 2 up, and haven't seemed to have a problem.

Ahh, so the slip out is normal, good

As for the spring. I feel like it doesn't flick the kickstand out quick and it's to easy to push up. When moving the bike around in the garage I have to be careful when pushing her forward, because sometimes the kickstand is pushed up a little. I wish it would stand into position when down a little better.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Ahh, so the slip out is normal, good

As for the spring. I feel like it doesn't flick the kickstand out quick and it's to easy to push up. When moving the bike around in the garage I have to be careful when pushing her forward, because sometimes the kickstand is pushed up a little. I wish it would stand into position when down a little better.
    The spring is to assist in retraction of the sidestand, and keeping it up, not to help it be deployed.