Do bikes require more maintenance than cars? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do bikes require more maintenance than cars?

Re: Do bikes require more maintenance than cars?

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    In my opinion, bike requires more attention, wouldn't even call it preventative maintenance. Chain and cables lubed, all nuts and bolts tightened, tires with proper pressure, liquid levels checked, suspension checked. The best part about the bike is that pretty much everything on the bike can be easily done by yourself. Spend your money on tools (i.e. mastercraft maximum tool kit(s), which constantly go on sale at CT at 70% off) and buy the shop manual for the bike (I gave you that one already lol).

Unless you live in a condo, I never understood those people who always take their cars and bikes to the garage, even for basic oil/filter change (especially considering that many of those shops never change the filter anyway).
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1313697822264

I AM BUYING THIS NEXT!!!!!

(More maintenance money lol)

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Again, all those costs, insurance, maintenance, fuel, etc depend on the specific bike you ride and how you choose to ride it.

Basic insurance coverage on some bikes can be no more expensive than a car. Same goes for maintenance. Throw in fuel savings that some bikes are great at, and riding can be a cheaper alternative to a car even if you still need to maintain a car or truck for whatever reason.
    +1. I actually SAVE money by having the bike. My truck has 7" of lift plus 33" tires (that set up cost me the price of a bike). I live in butt F nowhere so I'm always driving long distances to go anywhere. I typically do 2 trips per week of 1.5 hours one way... In the truck the round trip is about 50-60, on the bike it's like 18 bucks. Over a month, that saves me my insurance cost... Maintenance is almost nothing since I do my own work, tires are an every-other year thing, at 40,000 it just has it's first chain and sprocket replacement. And, since I race MX I'm always outside tinkering and fix things before they become an expensive issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1313697822264

I AM BUYING THIS NEXT!!!!!

(More maintenance money lol)
    There is a better tool set. I got this one here:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
    it goes on sale about twice a year (should be coming up soon actually) for about $300 or so... You will not need another tool set ever, it has almost everything I've needed... I have had to buy 2 over-sized sockets (a 32 and 27mm) for truck stuff and the rear axle/front sprocket nut on the bike.
    Other tools I've bought are a chain breaker, a chain riveter, a cheap princess auto inch/lb torque wrench, a composite mallet (always need to have a hammer around) and that's just about all you'll need for years of cheap, self service... I have deffinately made money on all of these purchases.

When I have an organized shop to work in, I love wrenching on my toys.

Nice name OP lol

Quote Originally Posted by Marbleboy View Post
    Nice name OP lol
    Do you know what it is? lol (GW!!!)

@rmemedic

Thanks, 'll look around for it. It looks really neat =D

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    +1. I actually SAVE money by having the bike. My truck has 7" of lift plus 33" tires (that set up cost me the price of a bike). I live in butt F nowhere so I'm always driving long distances to go anywhere. I typically do 2 trips per week of 1.5 hours one way... In the truck the round trip is about 50-60, on the bike it's like 18 bucks. Over a month, that saves me my insurance cost... Maintenance is almost nothing since I do my own work, tires are an every-other year thing, at 40,000 it just has it's first chain and sprocket replacement. And, since I race MX I'm always outside tinkering and fix things before they become an expensive issue.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/Sockets/SocketSets/PRDOVR~0589242P/Mastercraft+419-piece+Socket+%26+Tool+Set.jsp?locale=en
    it goes on sale about twice a year (should be coming up soon actually) for about $300 or so... You will not need another tool set ever, it has almost everything I've needed... I have had to buy 2 over-sized sockets (a 32 and 27mm) for truck stuff and the rear axle/front sprocket nut on the bike.
    Other tools I've bought are a chain breaker, a chain riveter, a cheap princess auto inch/lb torque wrench, a composite mallet (always need to have a hammer around) and that's just about all you'll need for years of cheap, self service... I have deffinately made money on all of these purchases.

When I have an organized shop to work in, I love wrenching on my toys.
    This one is on sale this week:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/Sockets/SocketSets/PRD~0589275P/Mastercraft+Maximum+201-Pc+Socket+Set.jsp?locale=en

But yeah, wait for their $500-600 set to go on sale for like $150 and buy it. It's a long-term investment, and you shouldn't use it just for your bike. I have used my set all over the house, car, etc.

This one is on sale this week:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/Sockets/SocketSets/PRD~0589275P/Mastercraft+Maximum+201-Pc+Socket+Set.jsp?locale=en

But yeah, wait for their $500-600 set to go on sale for like $150 and buy it. It's a long-term investment, and you shouldn't use it just for your bike. I have used my set all over the house, car, etc.
    I won't be needing anything for a car or house for another 5-6 years. The only maintenance I do is on my computer and....you don't need tools for that lol, except maybe a screw driver. I think I may just go with the cheaper one and buy what I am missing...

I won't be needing anything for a car or house for another 5-6 years. The only maintenance I do is on my computer and....you don't need tools for that lol, except maybe a screw driver. I think I may just go with the cheaper one and buy what I am missing...
    Come on dude you know you want a nice full chest of shiny new tools. Buying a big set for the first time is like having your balls drop. I'm a one time big purchase to save in the end kind of person tho.

I'm gonna warn you right now, OP. Once you start buying tools, it's pretty hard to stop.

"Going to princess auto" or "going to Canadian Tire" become things you do when you have free time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
    I'm gonna warn you right now, OP. Once you start buying tools, it's pretty hard to stop.

"Going to princess auto" or "going to Canadian Tire" become things you do when you have free time.
    Sorry for off-topic, but wait until you get a house - Home Depot will be your favourite spot... and you will be buying tools like mad

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Bikes are higher maintenance.

That being said, a lot of people neglect their cars and have no idea you have to do more than just change the oil.
    +1

I get the impression that a lot of people get surprised when a car requires maintenance. I used to do all of my own maintenance on my cars, but the fancier the car, the more there is to do. Now I farm it out to a mechanic.
    Another +1.

I believe an average car needs just as much maintenance as an average bike.
    You lube the chain on your bike; your car needs balls joints and stuff lubed too.
    Oil change on a bike with wet clutch is a 2-in-1; your car's transmission needs some attention too once in a while.
    Tires, brakes, brake fluid, cables, checking torque on critical bolts, wheel alignments....both bikes and cars need these at different intervals.

Personally I will admit that I have neglected my cars/trucks when it came to proper maintenance. I would normally wait until it needed my direct attention before I did something about it.

Heck, I was given a 95 Jimmy for free because the owner said "it's only gonna last about 3-4 months and then its gonna die, and I just bought a new car and my son doesn't need this truck".
    Based on that I simply put gas in it and went where I needed to.
    Ended up lasting 18 months, went through 2 sets of cheap brake pads (the 20$ sets lmao) and flipped the odometer past 400,000 kms.
    Eventually the transmission went and I lost 3rd and Drive (big surprise, an S10 tranny failed...netorious little buggers) but since I live 2kms from work I still drove it in 2nd there and back. It's a 50km/h zone all the way and it was winter, didn't feel like walking and freezing my butt off at 6am.
    Lasted like that for about 3 weeks until one day the alternator fried on me.
    Scrapped the truck for metal and got 400$.

On the bike it's different. I check most of the stuff listed above everytime I lube my chain. I recently flushed my brake fluid system and I already have new pads for the front, even though they still have 80% life remaining (gonna wear em down to 40% or so and then change them). The clutch cable is next on the list and then new brake lines. I know it's a waste of fluid (it's cheap anyways), but i didn't have the extra funds for lines a few weeks ago. My fluid was disgustingly brown and i felt like my lever was squishy, thus unsafe. It's much better now.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
    it goes on sale about twice a year (should be coming up soon actually) for about $300 or so... You will not need another tool set ever, it has almost everything I've needed...
    Holy smokes lol. That's quite the tool set.
    Unfortunately I already have most of those tools so I really can't justify spending 300$ on this (assuming I catch the sale) but this is an awesome package for someone who has absolutely no tools and wants to get all the basics at once.

I +1 this link for anyone that wants to start building a collection of tools. This is step 1, everything else should be specific to a certain job (oversized sockets/wrenches, special plyers that are good for one job, etc...)

Once you get into the powertools though...hehe....that's lots of fun.
    Angle grinders, reciprical saw, belt sanders, air compressor with multiple attachments...*Tim Allen grunt*
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

Sorry for off-topic, but wait until you get a house - Home Depot will be your favourite spot... and you will be buying tools like mad
    Ya I figured as much. I'd probably go nuts with furniture and cabinets too...pimping out my garage and what-not.
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

...I told my gf I was gonna go buy tools. I've been dating her for 3 years and I've spent the majority of my money on computer parts, TVs, video games, and other nerdy things. I told her I was going to go use the RBC exploit (PM me if you want info, you pay $90 and get around $300 or more worth of gift cards at Markville, Futureshop, Canadian Tire, and even stock vouchers) to get CT gift cards instead of Futureshop ones...

She said my balls finally dropped =(

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

LOL it is an expensive hobby. I'm not sure who told you it was anything otherwise, but they probably lied to you.
    Yep. Bike costs more for sure. Also, if you neglect stuff on your car, you break down. If you neglect stuff on your bike, you could end up much worse.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Pics of the girlfriend pls!
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

Well the only thing I've been laughing about is gas costs....then I look at insurance and maintenance which makes me =(
    well, gas costs arent that amazing with bikes when compared to smaller cars.
    i usually get ~250km off a 15L tank, that comes out to 6L/100km. a 2008 4-door civic is rated at 8.2 city, 5.7 highway. and you can find those starting at around $7900 on kijiji. so fuel is comparable, and you get a lot more features/utility. if you have a choice between a bike and a car a car is undoubtedly more practical. but a bike.... it gives you a sort of ticket into an exclusive club, nothing's hte same as seeing the asphalt streaking by inches below your feet, or the rush from the power in your right hand, even just a small twist of a 1/4 inch...
    2008 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2009 Triumph Street Triple
    2007 Yamaha YZF-R6
    2004 Yamaha YZ-125
    2002 Yamaha TTR-225
    2001 Yamaha TTR-125L

...I told my gf I was gonna go buy tools. I've been dating her for 3 years and I've spent the majority of my money on computer parts, TVs, video games, and other nerdy things. I told her I was going to go use the RBC exploit (PM me if you want info, you pay $90 and get around $300 or more worth of gift cards at Markville, Futureshop, Canadian Tire, and even stock vouchers) to get CT gift cards instead of Futureshop ones...

LOL! I'll buy ya a beer and a shot.
    "Women don't rust, but bikes aren't freaking insane."
    VIVA CHILE!!!