Got booked for 5 km/h over! - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got booked for 5 km/h over!

Re: Got booked for 5 km/h over!

We have way too many cops and they have to justify their job one way or another. I would fight it tooth and nail.
    Keep the front wheel in the air and the shiny side up.

Guelph
    Past bikes-77 Yam YZ100, 80 Hon CR125, 84 Yam XT600, 86 Hon CR250, 87 Yam TW200, 03 Hon CBR954, 05 Busa
    Current bikes- 08 Busa, 06 Hon CRF50

Almost sounds like he never got a reading, because there is no reason for handing out such a reduced ticket. they will go 15 over, but 5? If I were you ask for a court date, that doesn't hurt..... once you get it, ask for disclosure.... again it can't hurt and you will see if the officer's notes make sense.

If you don't want to do any of this and you don't want to go to court, just get Redline to do it all for you.

Remember, you aren't fighting the cop or the government, you are fighting the insurance companies.

Why go to a paralegal, when this should be a perfect opportunity to learn how to do it yourself?

A long time ago I posted here (or maybe elsewhere) my experience with a 5kph over the limit ticket - BEFORE I took it to court, I went to a first attendance meeting, and the prosecutor drop the ticket.

It was as simple as that... wasting time with this ticket in actual traffic court might be a net loss ($$$) to the city, so the prosecutor did the right thing.
    Security transcends technology

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    2 for 2. Wanna keep going?
    Are u saying I'm wrong??
    "They Say At 100MPH Water Feels Like Concrete, Just Imagine What Concrete Feels Like At 100mph" - Nicky Hayden

>< VC 01.

Are u saying I'm wrong?? How about shedding some light. I'm just speaking from my personal experience
    "They Say At 100MPH Water Feels Like Concrete, Just Imagine What Concrete Feels Like At 100mph" - Nicky Hayden

>< VC 01.

- Always fight ridiculous tickets like this, especially a completely stupid one, such as "5km over".
    - Never take the advice of a dirty pig.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Are u saying I'm wrong?? How about shedding some light. I'm just speaking from my personal experience
    Yes, your 2 previous posts are wrong. I am shedding light by pointing out false information. I am not going to disprove every assertion on this forum because that would be a full time job.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

This happened to me last August. Nice Rookie cop booked me doing 28 or so over in Aurora. A sneaky spot where it looks to be an 80 but changed to a 70. I stopped, had a quick chat and he ended up giving me 5 km/h over, saying it was the lowest ticket he could give me.

Was bummed at the time that he didn't just let me off, but I figured lit could have been worse. I appreciated what the guy did for me and the next morning I paid the $25 fine.

Yes it's on your record, but unless your insurance company randomly checks your report or you switch insurance companies, they'll have no way of knowing you even have the charge. Thanks to paying it off immediately, already 1 year has gone by, and 2 to go with no adjustments to my rates.

Remember, if you drag it on your 3 years start on the date of conviction, not when it was issued - meaning if you take it to court, if convicted you'll have to wait roughly an extra year to get it off your record, or even worse, have to pay the full non-reduced fine.
    Last edited by Krimesf4i; 08-25-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Once they've called in a plate, they're pretty much stuck. A friend and I were stopped for 20 over, up on 503. Turned out that my friend had left his wallet at home. The officer, rather than hitting us with the speeding tickets and my friend for not being able to present license and insurance, on top of it, gave just him a ticket for not being able to show insurance card. He then stated that, if he faxed it to the office the next day, that too would be dropped.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Almost got a wreckless driving charge for being on a sidewalk, turns out my insurance card was expired, got a ticket for that instead. Sometimes it's better to NOT present information!!

>< VC 01.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    So the thread title is totally misleading. You didn't "get booked" for doing 5-over. You were doing much more than that. You simply lucked out and got a much-reduced ticket for only 5-over, and now you're complaining about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Then you should have mentioned that in your original post. It might have resulted in some markedly different advice. You were stopped for 20-something over. You received a ticket for 5 over. At trial that 5 over could once again become 20-something over.
    No what I'm saying is I think he really did book me 5km/h over since I know I wasn't going 80km/h. Hes exaggerating the speed to make him sound like he has a legit reason to give me the damn ticket.

And no, I didnt see an "R" on my ticket.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius30 View Post
    No what I'm saying is I think he really did book me 5km/h over since I know I wasn't going 80km/h. Hes exaggerating the speed to make him sound like he has a legit reason to give me the damn ticket.

And no, I didnt see an "R" on my ticket.
    Ok, you "know" you weren't going 80 kmph? Then how fast were you going? Do you know?

There doesn't have to be an "R" marked on the ticket for the charge to be amended up to the originally-clocked speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius30 View Post
    Yes, I'm frustrated. I just don't know why they even bother. Anyways, the ticket is only $25 and no points off. The cop suggested that I just pay it off and save the trouble. Just wanna know if I pay off the ticket, will it effect my insurance even tho its only 5km over with no points?My work schedule is crazy and I just don't have time to fight it in court. What do you guys think?Thanks!!
    What was the speed limit on the road where you was? the only reason to get a ticket 5km/h over it's by going 45km/h in a speed limit of 40km/h. I might be wrong, but transport canada law autorise vehicule to show up to 10% difference between your real speed and cluster speed, that's why ticket start 11% over the posted speed limit (ex: 45 in 40, 111 in 100)Like said, I might be wrong but I will try to find the reference for this if you want it.
    Hercule CC130 J Support our troop by air

Pilot without technician are just walker with cool jacket and sunglasse

RACING Because football, baseball, bowling and golf only require ONE BALL

Quote Originally Posted by vince492 View Post
    What was the speed limit on the road where you was? the only reason to get a ticket 5km/h over it's by going 45km/h in a speed limit of 40km/h. I might be wrong, but transport canada law autorise vehicule to show up to 10% difference between your real speed and cluster speed, that's why ticket start 11% over the posted speed limit (ex: 45 in 40, 111 in 100)Like said, I might be wrong but I will try to find the reference for this if you want it.
    I'm following your train of thought, but surprisingly speedometer accuracy does not seem to be regulated by law. Most if not all manufacturers seem to err on the high side (i.e. speedo reading too fast) for liability reasons.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."