Can anyone shorten a clutch cable?

Thread: Can anyone shorten a clutch cable?

Can anyone shorten a clutch cable?

So after figuring out how to install a clutch cable, I now realized I need to shorten it thanks to custom low ride handle bars on a GS500F. =/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axGTa0SvXjE

Incase anyone is wondering, this is how to do it. Doesn't look too hard: problem is

#1. I do not have a torch.
    #2. I do not have that metal plunging tool thingy that he said he used to punch a hole into the ball at the end.

I do, however, have a BBQ.
    Last edited by 油井緋色; 08-17-2011 at 05:37 AM.

Re: Can anyone shorten a clutch cable?

Informative. Great post!
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

I have lower bars on my bike and didn't need to shorten the cable... My understanding of how cable actuated devices (clutches, brakes) work says it shouldn't be necessary unless you're having trouble finding somewhere to route the extra length or it's binding on something.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Banned

unless its not possible to fit the extra length, there is no reason to shorten the cable.

I think mine's been shortened 4 or 5 times in the last 2 years, the cable not the sheath. Probably has something to do with the cables being 50 years old and snapping just short of the nipple. Soldering the nipple back on is not a big deal. I use a soldering gun, not an iron or BBQ.

As above, I'd reroute the cable to take up the slack if possible.
    '61 Puch DS60
    '66 Puch 250 SGS (twingle)

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    I have lower bars on my bike and didn't need to shorten the cable... My understanding of how cable actuated devices (clutches, brakes) work says it shouldn't be necessary unless you're having trouble finding somewhere to route the extra length or it's binding on something.
    You were right =)