Cbr125 as a first track bike?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cbr125 as a first track bike?

Cbr125 as a first track bike?

Hello!I am looking into buying a used cbr125 track bike as a first. I have experience riding on the road, went on brp and deals gap a few times with my F800st, and will register to track school later this year or in the spring.I am looking into getting some advice fro people who either tracked one or have experience on track. I am new to track and want to learn properly before buying something bigger 600+cc.Your input is appreciated
    [/SIGPIC]84 Honda V30 Magna 500cc - Beckie in Bike Heaven
    08 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Florence Crashed, and Sold
    08 BMW F800ST - F8th Bought

Re: Cbr125 as a first track bike?

Racer5 uses them www.racer5.ca

And there is a class for them at RACE, SOAR, and the nationals. Keep in mind that ALL brand/model specific roadracing classes are subject to disappearing at the drop of a hat when sponsorship money vanishes.

On a general track day, the issue is going to be difference in speed on straightaways if you are on track with other bikes at the same time. If the other riders on the track are competent racers and are aware of the situation and the track day organizer deals with it in an appropriate manner and it is a TIGHT racetrack (Shannonville Nelson track, Mosport RDT, Cayuga, Grand Bend), it isn't a problem. At the back straightaway at the Mosport big track, closing speeds could approach 200 km/h and I wouldn't want to be in that position.
    Last edited by Brian P; 08-15-2011 at 03:26 PM.

I'm not a fan of them for the track, honestly. The Racer 5 bikes are total pylons at TMP. Riding one up the staight has got to be about as exciting as going flat-out on a riding mower. Even for a novice rider it has got to be frustrating.

My advice would be to look at one of the parallel twin 500s that has already been set up for track use. Ninja 500, GS500, something like that. None of those is going to bite you too hard even if you are a bit ham-fisted, but will at least drag you up the straight faster than a golf cart.
    It's never too late for a happy childhood...

It seems the obvious advice for anything motorcycle related is to start small. However, I do agree with Mr. Duck, for track use your better off with something with a little more balls than the 125. I would argue the safety factor on this one too as closing speed and overall speed differences could be very unsafe. If your planning on racing the 125 series where your up against other bikes of similar power, then it may become much more satisfying and safe.

I am thinking of using this for his season and next, work on my form and consistency before getting a 600. I would not go on a track that is too fast for the bike or for myself as I know its a slower bike. The ninja 250 and cbr250 are quite expensive to buy and so are the 500's almost same price as a used gixxer track bike.This is kind of my dilemna here!

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyEh View Post
    However, I do agree with Mr. Duck, for track use your better off with something with a little more balls than the 125.
    Agree - something like the 500 ninja is a great choice as they've been making them bloody well forever, tons of parts availability for loading up your spares bin, etc.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Great learning tool many of our racers started there. Buying one I would'nt only because when you do decide to sell the market is smaller. Its a good bike and maybe better to rent a race ready one to learn and then decide what way you want to go (twin,600 vintage.......)

Thanks for your input, very valuable
    Last edited by MAGNAficient; 08-15-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: duplicate post

A CBR125 is a great learning tool with 1 major qualifier......if you're very young or very inexperienced. If you can competently ride a regular sized motorcycle, a CBR125 is useless to you by the second track session. It is so slow that timing markers are redundant, which means that you don't learn many of the elements you will need on a bigger bike, like braking or throttle management. You won't learn racing lines properly because you lack the momentum that dictates what part of the track you can or can't use.
    If you can't afford something proper like an SV or older 600, better to wait than waste your money. They are fun to ride, though, for a laugh.
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com

Angry Re: Cbr125 as a first track bike?

Quote Originally Posted by franz131 View Post
    A CBR125 is a great learning tool with 1 major qualifier......if you're very young or very inexperienced. If you can competently ride a regular sized motorcycle, a CBR125 is useless to you by the second track session. It is so slow that timing markers are redundant, which means that you don't learn many of the elements you will need on a bigger bike, like braking or throttle management. You won't learn racing lines properly because you lack the momentum that dictates what part of the track you can or can't use.If you can't afford something proper like an SV or older 600, better to wait than waste your money. They are fun to ride, though, for a laugh.
    Maybe I'll just save up and buy something bigger next season

Dealer/Vendor

The CBR125 is a great learning tool!
    We have many very proficient trackday riders rent them to try and find a little more speed and develop their riding.

They are very unintimidating when you are learning new skills that nudge you out of your comfort zone, very forgiving if you make a mistake, and inexpensive if you drop it.
    But there isn't really any point of purchasing one as you will learn everything you need from it in about a season leaving you with a motorcycle that there isn't really a great demand for.

Racer5 students learn the basics over the course of our 4 days intro program.

Stage1: Track intro
    Stage2 : Race licensing where we develop more of stage 1 and get our students race licensed
    Stage3: Our students then are able to pracitce what they learned with their instructors and then compete against each other over the course of a SOAR race weekend.

Once Racer5 Students have completed Stage 3 they can come back and rent a bike off us at one of our trackdays for only $125, and also come back and compete in SOAR Racer5 cup and CSBK Honda CBR Challenge events. Another advantage is that this is a complete arrive and ride program for new track riders. So that includes bike transport, canopies, cooler, trackside support and riding coaches!

Much easier and cheaper than buying a bike and trying to transport, maintain, repair and figure it out yourself.
    Once you learn everthing you need to ona 125 then you can move on to your own 600cc machinery or maybe even compete in a 3 hour endurnace race as part of the extremely succesful Racer5 Student Endurance Team at SOAR!

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions regarding the CBR125 or your options.

email : info@racer5.ca

www.Racer5.ca
    416-915-4135

Last edited by RACER5; 08-15-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Suggestion: Take the stage 1 (at a minimum) Racer5 course. Then you will know personally what you are dealing with ... without having to commit to buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by RACER5 View Post
    The CBR125 is a great learning tool!
    We have many very proficient trackday riders rent them to try and find a little more speed and develop their riding.

They are very unintimidating when you are learning new skills that nudge you out of your comfort zone, very forgiving if you make a mistake, and inexpensive if you drop it.
    But there isn't really any point of purchasing one as you will learn everything you need from it in about a season leaving you with a motorcycle that there isn't really a great demand for.

Racer5 students learn the basics over the course of our 4 days intro program.

Stage1: Track intro
    Stage2 : Race licensing where we develop more of stage 1 and get our students race licensed
    Stage3: Our students then are able to pracitce what they learned with their instructors and then compete against each other over the course of a SOAR race weekend.

Once Racer5 Students have completed Stage 3 they can come back and rent a bike off us at one of our trackdays for only $125, and also come back and compete in SOAR Racer5 cup and CSBK Honda CBR Challenge events. Another advantage is that this is a complete arrive and ride program for new track riders. So that includes bike transport, canopies, cooler, trackside support and riding coaches!

Much easier and cheaper than buying a bike and trying to transport, maintain, repair and figure it out yourself.
    Once you learn everthing you need to ona 125 then you can move on to your own 600cc machinery or maybe even compete in a 3 hour endurnace race as part of the extremely succesful Racer5 Student Endurance Team at SOAR!

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions regarding the CBR125 or your options.

email : info@racer5.ca

www.Racer5.ca
    416-915-4135

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Suggestion: Take the stage 1 (at a minimum) Racer5 course. Then you will know personally what you are dealing with ... without having to commit to buying one.
    I did the Stage 1,2 & 3 at Racer5, and went back for 2 more Stage 3 days (Stage 3 = a SOAR race weekend. So I got to race 3 times this year!)

It's a fantastic program that is pretty inexpensive. My first time, I was pretty nervous. I consider myself an okay street rider, but I'd never been to the track and I really wanted to learn. I quickly found my pace, but struggled a bit with maintaining corner speed and my body position.

My 2nd race, this improved drastically, with my lap times dropping by 6 seconds. I felt a lot more comfortable on the bike, and was having much more fun. And no crashes!

I just did another race this past weekend at GBM. I feel like my body positioning has improved drastically, and that's the feedback I got from the instructors. I learned the track quite quickly, and was able to keep pace with the front pack. However, having an extra 30-40 lbs of excess baggage doesn't really help you on these bikes. In the race, I started to close the gap, but then it just started to slip away from me. While the others could have been getting on the gas earlier than me, I don't think that was quite it. Frankly, my weight made me tired faster, and the bike wouldn't come out of the corners as quickly. I placed 4th, which I was very happy with. I really wish I could've got a podium though!

I'm done for the season, as I need to save up too. I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford a track bike next year, as I have other commitments in my life that are more pressing. But I will likely be 40 lbs lighter, and back on those 125s at the very least. If I can't race my own bike, I can at least get my form down until I can.

So I definitely recommend Racer5, and waiting/saving to pick up your own track bike. Bear it mind that on top of the track bike, you need to factor in race fees, license fee, tires, fuel, transportation, canopy, tire warmers, gear, spare parts, and a trailer. It can be done inexpensively, but it's not a cheap sport. Doing Racer5 will let you figure out whether it's for you or not while not breaking the bank.

Honestly the Racer 5 option does sound great, especially if your eventual goal is to advance to racing. Less than $1000 for two training days plus a whole race weekend, with piles of track time, even if you rent all of the equipment from them (except helmet). You really can't get into the sport any more cheaply than that no matter what you do. I think it is a wonderful program. But if all you want to do is buy a trackbike, then no, the 125 would not seem like the best choice.
    It's never too late for a happy childhood...

Quote Originally Posted by YellowDuck View Post
    Honestly the Racer 5 option does sound great, especially if your eventual goal is to advance to racing. Less than $1000 for two training days plus a whole race weekend, with piles of track time, even if you rent all of the equipment from them (except helmet). You really can't get into the sport any more cheaply than that no matter what you do. I think it is a wonderful program. But if all you want to do is buy a trackbike, then no, the 125 would not seem like the best choice.
    So maybe do the racer5 as first planned then evaluate what track bike I can handle. I really like the cbr600's

Quote Originally Posted by MAGNAficient View Post
    So maybe do the racer5 as first planned then evaluate what track bike I can handle. I really like the cbr600's
    He actually has a RR for sale I just track prepped it and gave her some Racer5 paint. May be able to cut a deal......do the weekend on a 125 then do the Racer5 Student endurance team on the RR and if you like her cut a deal and take it home

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    He actually has a RR for sale I just track prepped it and gave her some Racer5 paint. May be able to cut a deal......do the weekend on a 125 then do the Racer5 Student endurance team on the RR and if you like her cut a deal and take it home
    I saw that bike, it looked mint! See if you can sign up for Stage 4 with Fawaz too, if you get that bike.

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonXP View Post
    I saw that bike, it looked mint! See if you can sign up for Stage 4 with Fawaz too, if you get that bike.
    I am confused... who is selling what where?

Quote Originally Posted by MAGNAficient View Post
    I am confused... who is selling what where?
    Fawaz owns Racer5. He has a CBR600RR for sale that is fully track prepped and ready to go. Call or e-mail him to find out more details. Ken (kneedragger8 is the own that prepped it, and he is suggesting you do the Racer5 Stage 1,2 & 3 days on the CBR 125s, and on the same weekend, see if you can join the Racer5 Student Endurance Team on that CBR600RR, so you can get a feel for the bike and decide if you want to buy it or not. I'm suggesting that if you decide to buy it, see if you can do the Stage 4 class with Racer5 as well, so you can use your brand new track bike and learn how to ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonXP View Post
    Fawaz owns Racer5. He has a CBR600RR for sale that is fully track prepped and ready to go. Call or e-mail him to find out more details. Ken (kneedragger8 is the own that prepped it, and he is suggesting you do the Racer5 Stage 1,2 & 3 days on the CBR 125s, and on the same weekend, see if you can join the Racer5 Student Endurance Team on that CBR600RR, so you can get a feel for the bike and decide if you want to buy it or not. I'm suggesting that if you decide to buy it, see if you can do the Stage 4 class with Racer5 as well, so you can use your brand new track bike and learn how to ride it.
    The assumption is that I have to be in tip-top shape for a 3-hour long race?
    That's sounds a little crazy... An I like it!