Allstate is dropping me.. now I'm frustrated

Thread: Allstate is dropping me.. now I'm frustrated

Allstate is dropping me.. now I'm frustrated

I received a phone call today telling me that the underwriters at Allstate insurance is unwilling to take on my Suzuki SFV 650 because it's a naked sports bike that's too high a risk. I asked if it has anything to do with my license classification (I get my M2 tomorrow morning) and she said no, it's solely because of the bike. They've given me a grace period of 30 days to find alternate insurance.

Considering that Allstate gave me a hell of a deal for my bike ($400/yr less than Jevco and no down payment required), this blows... now what?

To make matters even more fun, Allstate insures my Jeep and not many companies will insure a modified Jeep because lifted Jeeps have been known to eat babies and that liability is not one many companies will accept.

Re: Allstate is dropping me.. now I'm frustrated

Consider yourself lucky. Allstate is just about the worst customer service I have ever encountered in the insurance industry, and that's saying something.

Call Statefarm and see what your options are.

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post

To make matters even more fun, Allstate insures my Jeep and not many companies will insure a modified Jeep because lifted Jeeps have been known to eat babies and that liability is not one many companies will accept.
    I always wondered about those jeep lift kits.......they raise the bumper height so much alot of things could wrong in a crash, since they are offroad only I wonder what kind of liability that opens up?
    Good luck

Apparently you're not in good hands....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    I always wondered about those jeep lift kits.......they raise the bumper height so much alot of things could wrong in a crash, since they are offroad only I wonder what kind of liability that opens up?
    Good luck
    My friend is one of those Jeep nerds too. He's done a bunch of mods to it incl. 35" tires, lift kit etc. His insurance co. doesn't like his mods much either, but they are super tight assed anyway, as a bumper sticker actually counts as a modification by their definition.

@EngineerJoe Assuming that you are an engineer as your name states don't you get an insurance discount because you are a professional? An ex-coworker of mine is a chemical P.eng, he said that the engineers association got him some kind of insurance discount. Also as Kell said this could be a blessing in disguise, gives you cause to shop around and potentially find a much better rate for your insurance needs. If you need multiple types of insurance you might end up saving a bunch of money overall even if the new company is cheaper in one area and higher in another.

The legwork to find an new insurance company sucks but its not like you have much of a choice either. Could be worse though, if they actually cancelled your insurance, you'd be in a bad situation.

I think he needs to be a P.Eng.

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    My friend is one of those Jeep nerds too. He's done a bunch of mods to it incl. 35" tires, lift kit etc. His insurance co. doesn't like his mods much either, but they are super tight assed anyway, as a bumper sticker actually counts as a modification by their definition.

@EngineerJoe Assuming that you are an engineer as your name states don't you get an insurance discount because you are a professional? An ex-coworker of mine is a chemical P.eng, he said that the engineers association got him some kind of insurance discount. Also as Kell said this could be a blessing in disguise, gives you cause to shop around and potentially find a much better rate for your insurance needs. If you need multiple types of insurance you might end up saving a bunch of money overall even if the new company is cheaper in one area and higher in another.

The legwork to find an new insurance company sucks but its not like you have much of a choice either. Could be worse though, if they actually cancelled your insurance, you'd be in a bad situation.
    Meloche and monnex insures P.Engs...That's who I am with, but I get the accountant discount instead

Meloche Monnex insures lots of groups. To get the PEO discount, you just have to be a member. Registering as an EIT is good enough (although you can only maintain that designation for 5 years or so and then they will kick you out if you don't get your P.Eng). MM also offers discounts to grads of various universities (although my university rate was about double the PEO rate for the same driver and vehicle, so that may not help you).

Are you over 30? IIRC Vifferfun says MM becomes very competitive over 30, but may be less competive if you are younger.

Over 30 an Jevco will become competitive again.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

I am over 30, and I am registered with the PEO as an EIT (on a side note, I already passed my PPE). I've been with Allstate under my dad's policy since I turned 16 and I've had my own policy with them for the last two years.

Because I've only had my M1 for 59 days, Jevco was $400/yr more than Allstate.

At this point, I'm going to call Allstate and make sure they weren't looking at the liability of the 1000cc instead of the 650cc. This is frustrating because (no surprise) someone that knows nothing about bikes thinks something that is recommended as a starter bike is too big of a risk for their company to insure.

Because the MM website is incompetent, I have to ignore my at-fault accident from 7+ years ago. My price goes up by $200/yr when I chose to IGNORE my accident. I'm tempted to let the insurance expire and stop riding on Sept. 15th, save some money and get insurance again for the following May.
    Last edited by EngineerJoe; 08-15-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Refer to the insurance sticky. A reputable broker can find an insurance company that's a right fit for you.
    Nellya Ostrirova | Client Executive| T: 416.798.4880 or 416.798.8001 x 303 | TF: 1.888.768.8001 | F: 905.264.5163
    8001 Weston Road, Suite 300, Woodbridge, ON L4L 9C8 | www.csib.org

I am continually surprised at the logic (or lack thereof) with insurance companies.

I'm tempted to let the insurance expire and stop riding on Sept. 15th, save some money and get insurance again for the following May.
    BTW, I am told this is not a good idea. Insuring an uninsured bike (which is what I would have to do in the spring) raises the prices because the insurance company assumes I'm just riding without insurance. I asked what happens if I don't renew my sticker and the lady on the phone said it didn't matter, if I'm willing to ride without insurance, I'm willing to ride with an expired license. Does this make sense to anybody?

I am continually surprised at the logic (or lack thereof) with insurance companies.

BTW, I am told this is not a good idea. Insuring an uninsured bike (which is what I would have to do in the spring) raises the prices because the insurance company assumes I'm just riding without insurance. I asked what happens if I don't renew my sticker and the lady on the phone said it didn't matter, if I'm willing to ride without insurance, I'm willing to ride with an expired license. Does this make sense to anybody?
    Never heard of that and giving the timing/dates involved I can't see it being an issue. I believe the question I got asked was "have you been insured in the past year" which the OP would be. Gaps of a year or more are what cause problems.

To the OP... I wouldn't wait until next spring. Unlikely that prices will go down. May as well shop around now and get insurance if you can find something. The way insurance policies are pro-rated for the riding months it won't cost you any more in the long run. And I don't know about you, but fall is my favourite season to ride in. No point in missing out on a month or two of riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellya Ostrirova View Post
    Refer to the insurance sticky. A reputable broker can find an insurance company that's a right fit for you.

Try John R. Duffy Insurance. Brian (previously his dad) has insured me for almost 30 years...

http://www.johnduffyinsurance.com/
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)