no insurance ticket - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no insurance ticket

Quote Originally Posted by jeero View Post
    zeniceguy, although I do agree that you have 6-7 days to transfer the ownership of a vehicle, I am pretty sure that *most* insurance companies will not automatically insure a new vehicle the minute you get it under one of your existing policies. (i say most because I have never had this feature from the different companies I have been with)

AFAIK, it needs to be called in and give them the information to get a quote, and either by signature or by phone, you can make that policy active which normally starts at midnight, and they'll email you a temporary insurance slip.
    Then at that point your bike has insurance and you can then ride it around to get your safety and exchange plates/ownership and whatever.
    I didn't get details, but my insurance broker told me that I'm covered on newly acquired vehicles automatically. Hopefully viffer or someone else can give more details.
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

Banned

Re: no insurance ticket

Quote Originally Posted by imnothng View Post
    I didn't get details, but my insurance broker told me that I'm covered on newly acquired vehicles automatically. Hopefully viffer or someone else can give more details.
    The automatic temporary coverage period on newly-acquired replacement or additional vehicles is part of the standard OAP-1 insurance policy as stipulated by the Ontario government. The basic OAP-1 policy is what is sold by ALL auto insurance companies operating in Ontario.

Details of the current OAP-1 policy, including temporary coverage, is here http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/fo...orms/1215E.pdf

Re: no insurance ticket

If I read page 10 and 11 of that document properly, the automatic coverage under your current vehicle's policy is good for 2 weeks as long as you call your insurance company and tell them you will insure it with them and set up a policy for it?

Learn something every day. Thanks nfq, imnothng and turbodish.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011