"Forever Yonge" Anyone ever driven/rode the entire length of Yonge st? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Forever Yonge" Anyone ever driven/rode the entire length of Yonge st?

Re: "Forever Yonge" Anyone ever driven/rode the entire length of Yonge st?

I like taking it heading North better.. the scenery in Northern Ontario is beautiful. Heading up from here it just gets better and better.. taking it south is depressing.. it just gets worse and when you think it can't get any worse you hit Sudbury..
    VN9008CF - Candy Lime Green.

Quote Originally Posted by 2500Express View Post
    I'll probably take 17 back, as long as I do it once, I'll be happy.
    Less talk more riding lol. Keep a ride log, depends on when you pass thru Barrie maybe I'll keep you company for a few hours.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Make sure you can do 300+ kms per tank, or carry gas. The distances up north are quite far. LongLac to Hearst is 300ish kms - no gas between.

I've ridden to Thunder Bay 4 times in the past couple years - Did 11 once on the way home and it was really, really boring. Take 17. If you're looking for an interesting ride, try going round superior which takes you back through the states. Did it May 24 weekend this year in 3 days.

A few years back I drove H11 from Thunder Bay to Barrie, but then hopped on the 400 to finish the journey as I was heading to the airport to fly to the UK. At the time I wasn't even living in the country, I was just visiting a cousin for Christmas and New Year. Didn't realise the drive was special. It took me and my family 2 days in the dead of winter. Sometimes 'boring' scenery should be appreciated for the splendor that is such infrequently travelled roads and never ending natural scenery. I mean, do you want to drive a 1700km Vegas strip for pleasure?
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

While i haven't run my bike dry yet, I've gone as far as 320km hwy on a tank, and I *think* I can squeeze out 340 or so. That's what caa plus is for too It's more to just check it off my list, completing what used to be the longest street in the world.

Well, if you've made up your mind to do 11, make sure you stop in Cochrane and see the Polar Bears - you can even wade with them (separated by a few inches of glass) - a kid meeting a bear:

Quote Originally Posted by 2500Express View Post
    Read a car and driver magazine article a long while back, and they got a Mercedes Benz G-class suv and drove up the entire length of Yonge st, from queens quay all the way to rainy river. It's been in the back of my mind for years, and now want to check that off my list. I know that it isn't technically the longest street anymore due to the street breaking up/turning into a highway and whatnot, but I still think it's pretty neat.

Anyways, does anyone have any feedback on the route or if there are any obstacles for a streetbike to complete this trek? I'd like to stay on the street as faithfully as possible, so no shortcuts . Thanks guys.
    I've done it on a motorcycle. Almost hit a deer around Atikokan but missed it by about 3 feet. I lived in Fort Frances for a short while maybe 500m from Yonge street and now live down town 1 KM from Yonge street. Crossed Rainy River and headed into Winnipeg .

1900km? that can be done in 2 days...

recently went out to saskatchewan, came back via the usa and crossed into canada at fort frances (fort frances has a nauseating smell to it). the stretch of 11 til it meets 17 is nice, and parts of where it is shared with 17 is ok... been a while since i did the section leading up around north bay, i doubt it's gotten any better. there are some nice roads that branch off of 11/17 though....
    x

Round trip it's 3800km. Also I'd like to stop and smell the roses once in a while. Thanks for the tip jsv650, i'll stop by Cochrane to take a gander.