Riding with foreign license and M1

Thread: Riding with foreign license and M1

Riding with foreign license and M1

I've got a unique situation here.

I hold a Singapore motorcycle and automobile license with an international driving permit. I went to the MTO office, was credited for my driving experience, given a G1 and M1 and could book for my practical tests right away.

My M1 exit test is on the 22nd, but I already got myself a bike, plated and everything.

My question is this: can I ride without the M1 restrictions for the time being since my Singapore license is still valid? (Foreign licenses for Ontario residents are valid for up to two months). Ditto for the automobile license too.

Many thanks. I really really want to ride on the highways.

Banned

Re: Riding with foreign license and M1

Foreign licenses may be valid for a given time period in Ontario, but that is just so a holder of a valid foreign license (say a visiting tourist) can drive on our roads without having to get an Ontario license.

This would also apply to a recent immigrant with valid foreign license so they can drive while they arrange to get an Ontario license. Depending on where you are coming from, you will get different credits for driving experience, or no credit at all. Clearly you did not get enough credit to allow for a full G or M license.

In any case, you now have an Ontario driver's license. That license and the restrictions that come along with it is what now governs your driving and riding.
    Last edited by turbodish; 08-15-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typo

I went through the same routine with my UK license; you get an M1 and then can take your test for a full M. Well done Lou in booking your test, I found it almost impossible as the automatic online system tells you that you only have an M1 and can't book the M2 exit test. The automated 'phone system seems to be designed to prevent you from talking to a human, day after day of going through the menus for 15 minutes to be transferred to a test centre to have "the person is unavailable, leave a message" and "the voice mailbox is full"! I'm glad that's all behind me. Interestingly, if you are limited by the restrictions of the M1 license, you must be breaking the law during the highway portion of the test.

Were you unrestricted for motorcycle in Singapore or did you have the full license. When I lived in Singapore they gave me a full license when I presented my Canadian motorcycle and car license. Too bad it's not that way for you here because the licensing system in Singapore is tougher than here.

Greg

Milton Ontario

2012 ZX14R
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14