Advanced Riding Course with Turn 2

Thread: Advanced Riding Course with Turn 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Advanced Riding Course with Turn 2

I am planning on taking the ARC1 with turn 2. I have never been to the track before. I have been riding full time for only 2 years on my cbr600rr but have rode other sport bikes in the past for a day or two or weekend whenever I had the chance over the past 5-6 years.

So my question is whether to take my bike to the track, or rent one from Turn2? I'm really not interested in dropping my bike and not even fully sure my insurance with statefarm would cover that.

Has anyone done the ARC1 course or had experience with Turn2 that could shed some light on how the course is run? Is the course fairly tame, or will I be pushing the bike/myself to the limits?

I feel pretty comfortable on my bike during street riding, while realizing I am very far from being a pro. I just don't want to spend $300-400 renting a bike if we're not really pushing too hard, given that this is only the intro course.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Advanced Riding Course with Turn 2

You don't have to be pushing hard to be crashing. I crashed at slow speed, taking the Turn 9 hairpin at Cayuga. I slid for maybe a metre or 2 on my bum. It was a really minor crash, but it twisted the forks and broke one of the windscreen ears on the front fairing. This was with Racer5 on their CBR125s, and it cost me something like $100 for the fairing, and $25 in labour for untwisting the forks. I would imagine the costs would be higher on a 600cc bike.

So I would rent the bike. Your insurance will definitely not cover your bike at the track.

Rent a bike and you'll focus on riding.
    Bring your own bike, and you'll be distracted trying not to bin your bike in a turn.
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Rent a bike, get the insurance and have fun.

And under no circumstances will your insurance cover you if you crash at the track with your street bike.

The rental is $240 and with insurance it comes to $365. Thats with a $1000 deductable. So if I crash their bike, I could pay up to $1365. It seems like it would take more than a low speed drop to get to over $1300 dollars worth of damage (although I guess everything on these bikes are pretty damn expensive).

It says ARC1 is more of an intro to the track and you're not actually racing around the track on your own at any time. I can't imagine there is a huge risk in that unless I do something really dumb...which is probably more likely to happen on the street than with an instructor there in a controlled environment.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
    The rental is $240 and with insurance it comes to $365. Thats with a $1000 deductable. So if I crash their bike, I could pay up to $1365. It seems like it would take more than a low speed drop to get to over $1300 dollars worth of damage (although I guess everything on these bikes are pretty damn expensive).

It says ARC1 is more of an intro to the track and you're not actually racing around the track on your own at any time. I can't imagine there is a huge risk in that unless I do something really dumb...which is probably more likely to happen on the street than with an instructor there in a controlled environment.
    ARC1 is tame. It definitely is an intro to the track but that didn't stop several people from crashing and it doesn't mean you won't be going fast.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post

Price up new stock left side fairings from Honda. Oh, and a new clip on, a new clutch lever, a new mirror, possible headlight, engine casing, tail section, rearset and see if you can buy the lot for less than $1365. If you can then away you go to the track with your own bikeand lowside with confidence.

ARC1 is 'tame' compared with ARC2 or 3 but you're still moving fast enough to do a world of hurt to a street bike. And there's always the chance that someone else hits you or forces you off the track, whatever level you're riding.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcat View Post
    Apparently beginner/green level track riders are unwelcome. I believe that whole dramatic fiasco can be found in the "Crashes" section of this forum for anyone interested.
    Apparently is the key word. Do you know for a fact about green level riders or is it hearsay?

As I mentioned different strokes for different folks.

Every form of motor-sports has its apparent dangers, it's up to you to make an informed decision on what is right for you. Hence I posted the search for red dawn in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    Apparently is the key word. Do you know for a fact about green level riders or is it hearsay?

As I mentioned different strokes for different folks.

Every form of motor-sports has its apparent dangers, it's up to you to make an informed decision on what is right for you. Hence I posted the search for red dawn in my post.
    I was being sarcastic. But judging by 08CBR1000's first rate ******* remarks to me, unless you're at an intermediate level at minimum, you don't "belong" at a Red Dawn day. I would have appreciated it if they had broken riders up into groups like every other organizer seems to do. E.g., Turn2, Pro-6, SOAR, etc., in that riders of different experience levels are not on the track at once. Red Dawn needs to split up track time for beginners/intermediates/advanced so that it's fun and safe for everyone. In that regard it was a huge FAIL.

Red Dawn doesn't NEED to do anything.

They serve a specific niche, if it's not for you, don't go.

As you've indicated, there are a number of other organizations that provide the service YOU are looking for.

Would have been nice to know that in advance though. And in that same vein, I'm simply telling Corsara what to expect. No harm in that.

Would have been nice to know that in advance though. And in that same vein, I'm simply telling Corsara what to expect. No harm in that.
    Thanks. The more I read, the more I get hooked on doing track time PROPERLY, that is, taking the courses, going slow and small and only once that is mastered, to move up. Coming back to my original argument: while I still don't think I'll ever do track on 125, I think I'll enjoy it on a 250. I'm interested in the proper cornering, in fact, there isn't better fun than doing spirited riding in the twisty back roads around here, so sorry if I let everyone think I'm just a junkie just for wot...cause I'm not...at least not more than all of us

Also, I've looked up Fiery, and I'd like to apologize to him about some of the remarks I threw his way in this thread. It's easy to misjudge somebody on the Internet, but after doing a bit of research I realize that he is indeed concerned about the safety of everyone, and he is indeed a very skilled and advanced rider. And who knows, one day I might find my way up at Calabogie, and I'd love to meet him and show him that I'm far from being an aggressive and somewhat an arrogant prick that has no respect for safety and riding properly, something I'm afraid I might have led people to believe here.
    Current: 2003 Suzuki GSX-R1000
    Previous ride: 2005 Yamaha FZ6

I was being sarcastic. But judging by 08CBR1000's first rate ******* remarks to me...
    I really wish that guy would change his name...