Advanced Riding Course with Turn 2

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advanced Riding Course with Turn 2

Advanced Riding Course with Turn 2

I am planning on taking the ARC1 with turn 2. I have never been to the track before. I have been riding full time for only 2 years on my cbr600rr but have rode other sport bikes in the past for a day or two or weekend whenever I had the chance over the past 5-6 years.

So my question is whether to take my bike to the track, or rent one from Turn2? I'm really not interested in dropping my bike and not even fully sure my insurance with statefarm would cover that.

Has anyone done the ARC1 course or had experience with Turn2 that could shed some light on how the course is run? Is the course fairly tame, or will I be pushing the bike/myself to the limits?

I feel pretty comfortable on my bike during street riding, while realizing I am very far from being a pro. I just don't want to spend $300-400 renting a bike if we're not really pushing too hard, given that this is only the intro course.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Advanced Riding Course with Turn 2

You don't have to be pushing hard to be crashing. I crashed at slow speed, taking the Turn 9 hairpin at Cayuga. I slid for maybe a metre or 2 on my bum. It was a really minor crash, but it twisted the forks and broke one of the windscreen ears on the front fairing. This was with Racer5 on their CBR125s, and it cost me something like $100 for the fairing, and $25 in labour for untwisting the forks. I would imagine the costs would be higher on a 600cc bike.

So I would rent the bike. Your insurance will definitely not cover your bike at the track.

Rent a bike and you'll focus on riding.
    Bring your own bike, and you'll be distracted trying not to bin your bike in a turn.
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Rent a bike, get the insurance and have fun.

And under no circumstances will your insurance cover you if you crash at the track with your street bike.

The rental is $240 and with insurance it comes to $365. Thats with a $1000 deductable. So if I crash their bike, I could pay up to $1365. It seems like it would take more than a low speed drop to get to over $1300 dollars worth of damage (although I guess everything on these bikes are pretty damn expensive).

It says ARC1 is more of an intro to the track and you're not actually racing around the track on your own at any time. I can't imagine there is a huge risk in that unless I do something really dumb...which is probably more likely to happen on the street than with an instructor there in a controlled environment.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
    The rental is $240 and with insurance it comes to $365. Thats with a $1000 deductable. So if I crash their bike, I could pay up to $1365. It seems like it would take more than a low speed drop to get to over $1300 dollars worth of damage (although I guess everything on these bikes are pretty damn expensive).

It says ARC1 is more of an intro to the track and you're not actually racing around the track on your own at any time. I can't imagine there is a huge risk in that unless I do something really dumb...which is probably more likely to happen on the street than with an instructor there in a controlled environment.
    ARC1 is tame. It definitely is an intro to the track but that didn't stop several people from crashing and it doesn't mean you won't be going fast.

Quote Originally Posted by redridernl View Post
    ARC1 is tame. It definitely is an intro to the track but that didn't stop several people from crashing and it doesn't mean you won't be going fast.
    +1

Or you get stuck in a group with a guy you almost rear-end twice in T2...

Are you doing the CRG1 the next day? What track are you going to? That's what we did: ARC1 and then a CRG1. They really break up the groups according to years riding, how you perform, etc. E.g., The first group they placed me in was too fast and I did a little off-roading. The second was just right, the third was just stupidly slow. It got better in the afternoon, but I was 'finished' by that point, if you know what I mean. If you're placed in a group you feel is too fast or too slow, TALK TO SOMEONE and find out why. Don't make the mistake I did, which was be angry all day and have a crappy time.

The ARC1 day is exhausting, btw. Very structured and go, go, go. The day is a lot of fun, though. You'll enjoy how they break it up, then take you back out on the track to practice what you've just learned.

As for renting or use your own, use your own bike. You know your own bike already. No, State Farm will not cover any damages you do to it if you do crash. I asked something similar when I was planning out my ARC1-CRG1.

Price up new stock left side fairings from Honda. Oh, and a new clip on, a new clutch lever, a new mirror, possible headlight, engine casing, tail section, rearset and see if you can buy the lot for less than $1365. If you can then away you go to the track with your own bikeand lowside with confidence.

ARC1 is 'tame' compared with ARC2 or 3 but you're still moving fast enough to do a world of hurt to a street bike. And there's always the chance that someone else hits you or forces you off the track, whatever level you're riding.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

It's your call on renting of using your own bike. Crashing is less expensive on a rental than a street trim bike. Your street bike will also have to be prepped (i.e. lights taped, coolant replaced with water ...)

The groups are set up based on what the understood skill and comfort level is. Riders are sometimes moved between groups so that those with like skill levels ride together. If there is a problem with the pace, let your instructor know so that they can fix the problem.

The pace is set by the skill level of the group. If the group is comfortable at a slower pace that's what you'll run. If the group is comfortable with a quicker pace then it will run at that. Last Turn 2 event, I had a group that started at a quick level 1 pace and we moved the group into level 2 before lunch.

If you have specific questions check out the Turn2 website or PM me.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcat View Post
    +1

Or you get stuck in a group with a guy you almost rear-end twice in T2...

Are you doing the CRG1 the next day? What track are you going to? That's what we did: ARC1 and then a CRG1. They really break up the groups according to years riding, how you perform, etc. E.g., The first group they placed me in was too fast and I did a little off-roading. The second was just right, the third was just stupidly slow. It got better in the afternoon, but I was 'finished' by that point, if you know what I mean. If you're placed in a group you feel is too fast or too slow, TALK TO SOMEONE and find out why. Don't make the mistake I did, which was be angry all day and have a crappy time.

The ARC1 day is exhausting, btw. Very structured and go, go, go. The day is a lot of fun, though. You'll enjoy how they break it up, then take you back out on the track to practice what you've just learned.

As for renting or use your own, use your own bike. You know your own bike already. No, State Farm will not cover any damages you do to it if you do crash. I asked something similar when I was planning out my ARC1-CRG1.
    I'm planning to take the course at Calabogie. I was planning to do the CRG course the next day, but I'm not sure my schedule/the weather is going to allow it. So my plan was to take the CRG the next time they offer it which is in 2 weeks. For that I'm thinking renting may be a better idea.

So given that I will probably use my own bike for at least the ARC1, how should I prep it for the track and how long does that acutally take? I read the stuff on the site, and got the inspection check list...but I was planning to ride the bike to the track since I'm only about 30min away at the moment.
    Would it be possible to get it ready at the track? I don't have any tools with me here, and haven't ever really done any mechanical work on a bike before. Would the tech people or anyone else lend me a hand or do they just tell you your bike isn't track ready?

It depends on what your priority is. If you like parking your bike outside the local starbucks and everything to be really pretty on it, don't take it to the track, your mind won't be on riding, it will be on not crashing, which may cause you to crash.

On the flip side $1300 is a lot to potentially spend on someone elses bike and have nothing to show for it. For the speed you will be going, chances are a crash will only be cosmetic. Personally I ride my street bike all out on the track. Will I crash? sure, already have. You just get good at fibreglass and buying used parts. But then again I don't consider scuffs and plastic cracks body damage, I call them lessons learned.

If my ride gets damage doing what its meant to do, thats ok. Its when i see a sport bike with nubs on the edge of the tires still that makes me sad.

I'm planning to take the course at Calabogie. I was planning to do the CRG course the next day, but I'm not sure my schedule/the weather is going to allow it. So my plan was to take the CRG the next time they offer it which is in 2 weeks. For that I'm thinking renting may be a better idea.

So given that I will probably use my own bike for at least the ARC1, how should I prep it for the track and how long does that acutally take? I read the stuff on the site, and got the inspection check list...but I was planning to ride the bike to the track since I'm only about 30min away at the moment.
    Would it be possible to get it ready at the track? I don't have any tools with me here, and haven't ever really done any mechanical work on a bike before. Would the tech people or anyone else lend me a hand or do they just tell you your bike isn't track ready?
    You're going this weekend? If you want the track folks to prep your bike, you should have scheduled it with them already and gotten the bike there. This is not a quick, 15 minute job.

If you're running coolant, you need to switch over to Water Wetter. If you've never flushed a rad before, be prepared to leave yourself an afternoon to do so. Mine took 8-9 flushes before what was coming out was so dilute it would pass. Yes, you should do the rest of the stuff on the list. You don't have to safety wire everything. I safety wired a pipe insert my bike needed to pass noise just because I'd have hated to have it shoot out at another rider, or fall out on the track and have someone hit it. But the coolant flush takes the most time. Everything else: removing fuses, pulling bulbs, taping up bits and pieces, should take you less than 2 hours the first time. It gets faster every time you do it afterward. Did mine last night in an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcat View Post
    You're going this weekend? If you want the track folks to prep your bike, you should have scheduled it with them already and gotten the bike there. This is not a quick, 15 minute job.

If you're running coolant, you need to switch over to Water Wetter. If you've never flushed a rad before, be prepared to leave yourself an afternoon to do so. Mine took 8-9 flushes before what was coming out was so dilute it would pass. Yes, you should do the rest of the stuff on the list. You don't have to safety wire everything. I safety wired a pipe insert my bike needed to pass noise just because I'd have hated to have it shoot out at another rider, or fall out on the track and have someone hit it. But the coolant flush takes the most time. Everything else: removing fuses, pulling bulbs, taping up bits and pieces, should take you less than 2 hours the first time. It gets faster every time you do it afterward. Did mine last night in an hour.
    Uh-oh...I was planning to go Monday. I tried to give them a call to see if anyone was available but I think their office is closed for the day. I could potentially get there on fri-sat-sun if I could schedule something with them. I wouldn't mind learning how to do this stuff myself, but don't have anyone around here to show me, and probably not enough time to learn on my own!

Uh-oh...I was planning to go Monday. I tried to give them a call to see if anyone was available but I think their office is closed for the day. I could potentially get there on fri-sat-sun if I could schedule something with them. I wouldn't mind learning how to do this stuff myself, but don't have anyone around here to show me, and probably not enough time to learn on my own!
    Monday is sold out as per their website: https://turn2.ca/ti/t2/events.html?e...15&id=ieoMsRCc You're looking at September 1st at the earliest.

August 15, 2011 @ Calabogie
    Sportbike School

Advanced Riding Course 1

Selling fast $325.00
    Advanced Riding Course 2
    Selling fast $360.00
    Advanced Riding Course 3
    Almost sold out $395.00
    Advanced Riding Course X
    Sold out $495.00
    Beginner Riding Course
    Sold out $275.00
    Controlled Riding Group 1
    Selling fast $250.00
    Controlled Riding Group 2, STG 1
    Selling fast $260.00
    Controlled Riding Group 2, STG 2
    Selling fast $235.00
    Controlled Riding Group 3, STG 1
    Almost sold out $295.00
    Controlled Riding Group 3, STG 2
    Selling fast $235.00

Seems there is still space for ARC1, according to site anyhow.

To the OP just rent a bike if they are still available. Then just show and ride and you have no worries about gas, tires or anything else. Just take it easy your first few sessions(I am sure the instructors will be easing everyone into it anyways) and you should be good to go. Honestly $365(assuming you don't crash) isn't that bad to rent the bike.

It depends on what you want to get out of the course. I rode my own bike when I did my ARC1 a few years ago, but that was because I wanted to know how to ride my bike closer to its limits, which is impossible on the street.

If your interest is instead to learn riding skill generally, rent the bike. You'll save trailer rental costs, costs for bike prep, and a lot of hassle with loading/unloading, returning the trailer (if you don't have your own right now), etc. You'll have less to worry about and enjoy the course even more.

GRAYZ

good point Grayz, heres the tech sheet:

https://turn2.ca/ti/t2/content/bikeprep.html

m
    ost of this is simple, but you cannot run coolant as stated. The coolant flush can be time consuming and messy as mentioned above, make sure your not doing this in a rush (i.e. the night before). Often air gets trapped in the system and takes some time/effort to get it worked out. You don't want to find out you have an airpocket, leak, or insufficient cooling while at the track during the course. If your planning on going to the track again (which you will, going to the track is more addictive than drugs), you'll have to do this anyways. Track prep is pretty easy after doing it a couple times, the first time it's going to take you an afternoon + coolant flush time.

If you want to learn the limits of your machine, take your bike.

If you want to learn the limits of a 600 SS, rent theirs.

If you want to learn the limits of yourself, take Racer5.

That's my opinion. You could spend the same money, get 4 days of riding on a CBR125, and get race experience. Usually, the limit isn't the bike, it's the rider. The skills you learn on a 125 translate easily to a larger, more track-oriented machine. Not trying to detract from Turn2, I'm sure they are excellent. But I felt Racer5 was a better use of my time and money, for what I wanted. Next season, I will likely buy a track bike (600 SS).

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonXP View Post
    If you want to learn the limits of your machine, take your bike.

If you want to learn the limits of a 600 SS, rent theirs.

If you want to learn the limits of yourself, take Racer5.

That's my opinion. You could spend the same money, get 4 days of riding on a CBR125, and get race experience. Usually, the limit isn't the bike, it's the rider. The skills you learn on a 125 translate easily to a larger, more track-oriented machine. Not trying to detract from Turn2, I'm sure they are excellent. But I felt Racer5 was a better use of my time and money, for what I wanted. Next season, I will likely buy a track bike (600 SS).
    The bike is never the limit when learning / riding track. In all situations you listed the person would be learning their limits but on different tools.