For those buying bikes for "$100" declared on bill of sale - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For those buying bikes for "$100" declared on bill of sale

Oh for F's sake. Get the letter and throw it out.

/end thread
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

Re: For those buying bikes for "$100" declared on bill of sale

Quote Originally Posted by imnothng View Post
    Oh for F's sake. Get the letter and throw it out.

/end thread
    I don't think I will do that. I would rather prefer not leaving these type of things inconclusive.

So, I will reply to the mail with the declared numbers, and suggest my friend (prev owner) do the same.

I will keep you updated if anything strange happens =)

Thanks for all the info and suggestions !
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Making false claims is a sort of fraud. Letters get lost in the mail all the time. I'm just sayin'
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Making false claims is a sort of fraud. Letters get lost in the mail all the time. I'm just sayin'
    The man makes a good point.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

I just pay the proper amount.
    It's a couple of hundred bucks.
    If I could not do that, I wouldn't ride.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

screw paying proper amount, thats a joke.

The government already got its tax from the initial fresh sale. They are greedy and do not deserve this double dip.

I wouldnt say $100 on it, but usually 500-1000$ is good enough for my conscience

in terms of insurance, always check with them.

Statefarm for example always goes by fair market value..and in my experience it was VERRRRRY fair. They openly told me they check with dealers, kijiji, ebay etc.

But as soon as i signed up with them, i wanted to make sure they wouldnt go off my bill of sale for replacement purposes. would have gotten fleeceed in that case.

7400$ otd for a slightly used 09 r6, back in 08/09. imagine if when that got stolen i only got 7400 for a bike that sat around 10k new? not very fair right?
    (i payed full tax on that...it hurt)

never again...
    but its our job to end this and ride motorcycles like men...today's society is soft as hell. but riding a 600cc is the least you can do...

Imperialengravers.com --------------
    ------------------------------------
    ---------------------------

It's threads like these that ruin it for everyone.

Just to make it more interesting the MTO requires an appraisal for value on anything over 25 years old. In these cases, not only do you get to pay tax ( and on what figure its appraised at and on what could be a hunk of un useable junk) but also the appraiser fee ( which could be as much as $100 or more).

It is really annoying when you realise potentially how much tax they can get from one vehicle if it is sold multiple time. One bike I bought a few years back had had 14 previous owners. I figured they likely got 100% of the original purchase price out of it.

Enough already, tax the bike once when its sold and exempt it thereafter or if that doesn't seem right let it be taxed up to 5 years after the original sale but cut it off at some point.

I wouldn't mind the tax so much but the government just seems to waste it anyway don't they?

Cheers all,
    spyug
    "Slowest beasts are always strongest and manage to live the longest"
    "If it's no Scottish.......it's crap!"
    "Ama lyin?"

1983 GS750E Black Booty
    1982 GS750 SZ Katana Wee Beastie II
    1983 GS550E Basket Case from Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    I just pay the proper amount.
    It's a couple of hundred bucks.
    If I could not do that, I wouldn't ride.
    It's not about the cost, it's about the principle of the matter. While we can all accept the fact that the government needs to collect its lb of flesh on the initial sale of the item, do they REALLY have to go over and over and over for as many times as the vehicle was sold? Sometimes we just have to say enough is enough.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

The idea of a tax on the sale of used vehicles is stupid.

The only reason its there is to make it more attractive to purchase new cars... dumb.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    what a stupid system, paying taxes on a private sale. good job motorcycles are exceptment from blue book values. the mto ( big brother ) already got their tax money on the sale when new. just make sure the buyer and seller agree to say the same thing, should this happen. i like the service manual price, that works for sure.

I definitely agree here.

If a bike is sold to original owner and never sold again the Province gets their tax once.

If that bike gets bought and sold 10 more tims in it's life the province gets to collect 10 rounds of PST. The only thing surprising here is that Dalton isn't running TV ads tring to get people to sell their cars and motorcycles more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Cycle View Post
    I definitely agree here.

If a bike is sold to original owner and never sold again the Province gets their tax once.

If that bike gets bought and sold 10 more tims in it's life the province gets to collect 10 rounds of PST. The only thing surprising here is that Dalton isn't running TV ads tring to get people to sell their cars and motorcycles more often.
    Its not PST. and thats really interesting. its actually a 13 % retail sales tax.. They had to make a new tax just for this.

The reason why its not PST or GST is because those are value added taxes, the tax you pay is offset by a credit you get. Meaning if that you were charged PST/GST, you should theoritically be able to claim the tax you paid when you bought your bike as a credit when you sell it again in the future ( this would likely result in 0 tax ) as the bike would haev depreciated.

How many threads asking this same question come up every single season?! We should make some kind of GTAM betting pool on **** noobies ask lol

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    How many threads asking this same question come up every single season?! We should make some kind of GTAM betting pool on **** noobies ask lol
    Adri, were you on crack when you wrote that ? lolz
    Because, it seems to me like you started this trend of '**** noobies ask lol' situation.

Quoting you below, from this very thread. 1st post of the topic:

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Will the insurance companies ever look at what you declared the vehicle purchase for?

i.e. buy a bike for $2k, put $1k into it to get it up to spec / market cost / average condition.
    Will they appraise it as a $3k bike (estimated market average) or will they appraise it as a $2k POS?

Please share thoughts and stories, thanks!
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Lol uh, did you read what I wrote? I asked an INSURANCE question, not the nth "is the ministry going to come after me if I declare less than I paid" question...

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    The man makes a good point.
    Letter? What letter?

I remember a guy I knew imported a boat, under-declared the value, then tried to file an insurance claim after an incident. Unfortunately, he had not completed the registration after the import (God knows why), so the insurance would not pay out unless it was registered here. So buddy, in his infinite wisdom decided to register it, THEN tried to re-submit the claim. When he registered, he opted for the higher real value, and got burned on his import declaration. Stupid; he literally would have saved a couple hundred, and ended up getting no coverage for a $9000 repair, plus a rude awakening for the improper import.

Quote Originally Posted by happycrappy View Post
    I remember a guy I knew imported a boat, under-declared the value, then tried to file an insurance claim after an incident. Unfortunately, he had not completed the registration after the import (God knows why), so the insurance would not pay out unless it was registered here. So buddy, in his infinite wisdom decided to register it, THEN tried to re-submit the claim. When he registered, he opted for the higher real value, and got burned on his import declaration. Stupid; he literally would have saved a couple hundred, and ended up getting no coverage for a $9000 repair, plus a rude awakening for the improper import.
    What does that have to do with this thread?
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by imnothng View Post
    What does that have to do with this thread?
    Oh I don't know, maybe the original post? On the ball tonight eh? Point being, yes insurance does care what's declared as purchase price.

can we declare $1 on bill of sale?