State Farm gave me some strange information

Thread: State Farm gave me some strange information

State Farm gave me some strange information

Hi I have an inquiry in regards to State Farm if anyone uses them. I called them up and told them I had just gotten my m2 and asked if that lowered my insurance upon renewal. They said no. I then asked if getting my m2 exit would lower my insurance and she said no again. She said they have fixed rates.

This confused me a bit so i pursued my inquiries a little further - surely after my first year my insurance would lower for my second year with them. They said no. So I asked her if after being with State Farm for 10 years I would have the same insurance costs and she said yes.

Does anyone know if this is accurate or if I just got crap information?
    black kawi ninja 250r
    -----
    http://www.c25k.ca

Re: State Farm gave me some strange information

Quote Originally Posted by Lucusice View Post
    Hi I have an inquiry in regards to State Farm if anyone uses them. I called them up and told them I had just gotten my m2 and asked if that lowered my insurance upon renewal. They said no. I then asked if getting my m2 exit would lower my insurance and she said no again. She said they have fixed rates.

This confused me a bit so i pursued my inquiries a little further - surely after my first year my insurance would lower for my second year with them. They said no. So I asked her if after being with State Farm for 10 years I would have the same insurance costs and she said yes.

Does anyone know if this is accurate or if I just got crap information?
    Lucusice, you should take a look at this thread: Factors that Affect your Insurance Premium

The information you were provided is correct, State Farm does not consider your M license level when insuring a motorcycle. They only factor your G license level.

Also, from what I know, insurance companies rarely give loyalty discounts. Just because you've been with them 10 years doesn't make you any less of a liability.

You should check with a Jevco broker. With Jevco, your rate can drop substantially after your first year of licensing.

(Also, first post, yay!)
    Last edited by DaveTheCanuck; 08-09-2011 at 02:56 PM.

They do give 'claim free' discounts, however, so the information given is somewhat misleading.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I'm with State Farm. The two biggest things that effect the rate with SF is your age, and loyalty/preferred customer status.
    To ride or not to ride…THAT is a stupid question !!

When I was with statefarm my policy went up every year. i had no changes in policy for the longest time...every year it just kept going up.

Finally when I got my VFR750 I had to switch cause they started asking ridiculous amounts of $$
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

What my state farm broker (co-workers wife) told me when I did my insurnace was that age, total years licensed ie driving and size of bike were the main things they focused on. Obviously State Farm tends to always only insure low risk drivers so driving record was not included.

Funny thing was I switched companies after being under a group policy for EMS workers where I was being quoted $10,000+ per year on a CBR600! State Farm put me at $640 a month and even less on my two cars and house. This and im under 30 years of age.

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    When I was with statefarm my policy went up every year. i had no changes in policy for the longest time...every year it just kept going up.

Finally when I got my VFR750 I had to switch cause they started asking ridiculous amounts of $$
    Same here:
    22 yrs of road riding, no claims ever, no tickets in 9+ yrs, and SF kept raising rates even though I was proving to be a better customer each yr by going even longer without claims, and bike was getting older and less valuable. I left them and now with Primmum.\

SF's rates are only better than the rest, if youre a 21 yr old on a sportbike. If youre like me, almost 40, married, with kids and a home, and yrs of experience, you will get better rates elsewhere.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Same here:
    22 yrs of road riding, no claims ever, no tickets in 9+ yrs, and SF kept raising rates even though I was proving to be a better customer each yr by going even longer without claims, and bike was getting older and less valuable. I left them and now with Primmum.\

SF's rates are only better than the rest, if youre a 21 yr old on a sportbike. If youre like me, almost 40, married, with kids and a home, and yrs of experience, you will get better rates elsewhere.
    I actually found quite the opposite. The bike rates that I was being quoted, by State Farm, were remarkably good. I would certainly have considered going with them, if not for the fact that their rates for my car were ridiculously high. Like $500.00 higher than anyone else who quoted me. Might have something to do with the agent, I dealt with, having no idea what an excluded driver form was though.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    I actually found quite the opposite. The bike rates that I was being quoted, by State Farm, were remarkably good. I would certainly have considered going with them, if not for the fact that their rates for my car were ridiculously high. Like $500.00 higher than anyone else who quoted me. Might have something to do with the agent, I dealt with, having no idea what an excluded driver form was though.
    But if you bring your car to them as well as your bike they will knock the bike down another $50/month if you have a good record which means it would actually be $100 cheaper then everywhere else
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Umm no. ...its not a flat rate of $50...it's a percentage, and i think it's 10%. You would need to be getting rates in the $6000/yr range to enjoy a $50/month discount for adding a car to your policy.
    I have had my house, 3 cars, and unbrella liability policy with them for almost 15 yrs. Even with all of their good guy discounts, the only waytheir rates were in the ballpark was if I was riding a suportbike.

Mytruck insurance doubles when I left TD and went to SF. My house insurance went up 20% for no reason last yr. Every yr I hhad my GSXR insured with them (3 yrs total) it went up.
    1St yr it was $1190, 2nd yr it was $1300, 3rd yr it was $1420, then finally this yr, it fell to $1360...but by then I was selling it.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    But if you bring your car to them as well as your bike they will knock the bike down another $50/month if you have a good record which means it would actually be $100 cheaper then everywhere else
    The bike was cheaper because of the multi-line discount. Without it there was no reason to insure the bike with them, as I could do better elsewhere.

For many people, your rate won't decrease with SF as you get more *motorycycle* experience because SF only considers *car* experience. This typically maxes out at 6 years of experience. If you get your first motorcycle with SF after you already have 6 years of car experience, then you are already getting the best experience factor applied to your rate. This is a HUGE advantage for new riders, but your experience factor cannot improve because it is already as good as it can get.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post

the price of milk keeps going up every year too, whats up with that? It should just keep getting cheaper until its free amirite

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    the price of milk keeps going up every year too, whats up with that? It should just keep getting cheaper until its free amirite
    I dunno, does the statistical risk of returning a bad carton of milk go up or down over time, as your milk buying experience increases?
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    I dunno, does the statistical risk of returning a bad carton of milk go up or down over time, as your milk buying experience increases?
    my point clearly is that in general the prices of good and services increase over time

sorry I made a joke out of it

From what I understand, if you're 25, been insured for 6 years since G1 and going onto a sport (600cc+), Statefarm is the only option. If you're 30+, then things change up a bit?

The best way to verify if what she is saying is true is to ask her to send that to you in writing. (this works for all kinds of other things too)
    Nellya Ostrirova | Client Executive| T: 416.798.4880 or 416.798.8001 x 303 | TF: 1.888.768.8001 | F: 905.264.5163
    8001 Weston Road, Suite 300, Woodbridge, ON L4L 9C8 | www.csib.org