Best sportbike tires out today - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best sportbike tires out today

Re: Best sportbike tires out today

Personally, I love the Michelin Power Pure on my bike. BTW, if you are doing track with them, they are the lightest tires on the market. Also, they are shaped differently and you go into corners easier than with other tires...freaked me out the first 20 minutes or so after having them put on last year! LOL! If your bike feels hard to corner (like it's a fight with the bike in anyway) or sluggish to go over, the Pure will change that.

For those that seem confused; 2CT is simply a term to describe the tires that are dual compound. A perfect example: you can buy Pilots in either 2CT (Pilot Power 2CT) or regular (Pilot Power)...

From the Michelin site:
    Two Compound Technology (2CT): The center compound withstands aggressive acceleration and braking, while the softer shoulder compound helps ensure outstanding grip on road or track. Wider 2CT shoulders compared to other MICHELIN® tires mean that most or all of the contact patch is made up of softer, grippier rubber when the bike is leaned into corners.

Last edited by Nyx13; 08-11-2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: michelin details

...Then one day you realise your 'knight in shining armour' is just a retard in tinfoil.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post
    Really been hearing a lot of disappointment about these ones. Such a shame. Michelin usually makes great tires. I loved the PP 2ct's, but reviews such as yours and others on the Pures, steered me to Pirelli.

I really like the Pures. I think they are very pressure sensitive....I use low 30's psi and have no issues.....they just stick. Warm up is the fastest I encountered......I went around the block, parked it the drive way and couldn't believe how warm they were.

pures are lighter and stickier than powers, but wear out faster too.

I am really loving the Avon Distanzia (SM compound) rear tire on my bike. It's a dual sport tire but for street it's incredible, and it inspires a lot of confidence. They grip very well in cooler temperature. When I brake it loose with the rear brake, it's very predictable. It's ten times better than the Pilot Power I had before.
    Last edited by daught; 08-11-2011 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Unless you track ride, any supersport tire is a huge wasteof $. Coming from someone who used to waste money on sticky rubber to ride around public streets in Ontario all the time.
    I have to strongly agree.

A good sport touring tire can offer excellent traction
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post

I'm much happier with Q2s. I have 5500km on the rear Q2 which includes about 2000km at the Gap. Still looks good. I will likely stick with them until I find something better... the Pirellis are apparently a better tire but more expensive and last less long.
    Pete has a combo special on Pirelli DRC's for the moment. Its only about $57 more than the Q2 combo.

http://www.petes-superbike.com/engli...ower-race.html

The shop that everybody loves to hate on this forum, quoted me for a set of 180/120 for $360+ taxes.

As you likely know, the Q2 is an elderly tire design. The DRC's were just introduced last year and have been rated quite well. I haven't tried the Q2s, so cant comment on wear, but the DRC's are wearing fine after 2 track days, 1 Cayuga drag race nite and some aggressive street riding, and far better than any Bridgestone product I've had.
    Last edited by SunnY S; 08-14-2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Added Petes link!

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have to strongly agree.

A good sport touring tire can offer excellent traction
    Ehhhh ... I have PR2s, and although they've always had excellent traction, their feel on turn-in is weird. They feel sketchy until you've actually started the turn. They're safe I guess, never had them slip any time other than horsing around in the rain, but the Corsa IIIs I had before felt a lot better. I'm on the fence whether I replace these with PR3s or a supersport tire. (On the plus side, their wear resistance is stupidly good)
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

I threw a set of Dunlop GPA 209 in the med-hard compound (rear) and med-soft (front) on my six and haven't a complaint yet. There is serious grip right to the edge of the tire (great profile as well), heat up is quick and lasts, milage has been great for a track DOT, and at $229 a pair I couldn't resist. I've run BT=016 and 2CT in the past and these (although heavier) are a much better tire all round. Take a look into them.
    Life is best lived at Wide Open Throttle. Twist the right wrist and watch it all go by.

Out of curiosity did any one try Avon's sport bike tires?

Went from dunlop q2 to mich pilot power 2ct and noticed a difference in my cornering and leaning. feels a lil easier in my opinion with the mich !
    09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by Dohhh View Post
    ya the 2ct is a dual compound tire, but so is the power pure, different percentage of softer/harder compound than 2ct
    There is no tire called "2ct" - there's your confusion.

Many of the Michelins tires have the 2ct feature.

In body: Hamilton... In spirit, Switzerland!

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Unless you track ride, any supersport tire is a huge wasteof $. Coming from someone who used to waste money on sticky rubber to ride around public streets in Ontario all the time.

Today's sport touring tires are as sticky as supersport tires were 8-10 yrs ago, and last 2-3x as long......at roughly the same price as a set of supersport tires as well, so your money actually goes twice to three times as far.
    Agreed. That's why I'm running Pilot Powers (newly made versions of the 2004) tire. Last set achieved 14,000 km on my stock CBR1000RR ... vs the OEM Qualifiers' 9600 km. Both sets I changed before the belt was showing. I simply love the profile and turn-in rate on these tires, in addition to the grip they offer for what I do. They've done all that I ask, and are not expensive at all.
    "Izz dangerous..... Izz dangerous not only you... but... all deh fackeen idiot who ride deh car" - Rossi, FASTER

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Agreed. That's why I'm running Pilot Powers (newly made versions of the 2004) tire. Last set achieved 14,000 km on my stock CBR1000RR ... vs the OEM Qualifiers' 9600 km. Both sets I changed before the belt was showing. I simply love the profile and turn-in rate on these tires, in addition to the grip they offer for what I do. They've done all that I ask, and are not expensive at all.
    Same here i love the M-PPowers this is my only tire for the last 5/6 years! I have had PPower 2cts and went back to the regular ppower and for my riding in the street they offer an amazing grip!!
    Ma che cazzo hai detto!!!!!!!!!

chiming in on the I ♥ MPP2CT. Granted, these are the only tires I've used except for the worn out Dunlops that were on the bike when I bought it. I've put on ~10,000 kms and still tons of tread. The middle has worn down from daily commuting but it's still round.

I'll be going with the Michelin Power Pures my self. Maby thats cuz i'm bias since I work for Michelin and buld there tires and as a employee perk I get them for free