...just wanted to recommend RTI for your M1 Exit Course

Thread: ...just wanted to recommend RTI for your M1 Exit Course

...just wanted to recommend RTI for your M1 Exit Course

A big thanks to The Instructors for RTI this weekend in Orillia (Aug 6-7)
    If anyone is debating where to take your M1 Exit course, dont give it a further thought, and register with RTI.
    From Top to Bottom - Bob and Steve (our instructors for the wknd) were professional, helpful, serious when need be, and loads of fun.
    Its a gruelling two days - we had 30 degree weather - nothing but sun (except for 20mins on sunday) but at the end of the weekend, it was well worth it.
    From a personal perspective - I have never ridden a bike before - but by weekends end, I was doing great and passed the course. We all did actually.

Thats it!
    Thanks

Re: ...just wanted to recommend RTI for your M1 Exit Course

+1

RTI rocks!

I went to the King City one (now closed, though I don't know why). Instructors were phenomenal - every single one of them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
    +1

RTI rocks!

I went to the King City one (now closed, though I don't know why). Instructors were phenomenal - every single one of them.
    They still have the intermediate course at King city which doesn't involve formal testing. Perhaps it is an instructor issue at this location. Unfortunately my experience at the King City location was quite different from yours Darwin & Silvrsrfr. Two of the instructors were very nice and offered constructive feedback. The other two were borderline verbally abusive and it really soured the experience for me.

One of the not so nice instructors was the only MTO licensed tester hence he could be as much of a jerk as he liked; perhaps they had many complaints about them. It didn't deter me from wanting to ride, but it did prevent me from considering RTI for my M2 exit and from recommending them to new riders.

+1 for RTI. I took M1 exit at North York location. Nothing but good things to say.

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    They still have the intermediate course at King city which doesn't involve formal testing. Perhaps it is an instructor issue at this location. Unfortunately my experience at the King City location was quite different from yours Darwin & Silvrsrfr. Two of the instructors were very nice and offered constructive feedback. The other two were borderline verbally abusive and it really soured the experience for me. One of the not so nice instructors was the only MTO licensed tester hence he could be as much of a jerk as he liked; perhaps they had many complaints about them. It didn't deter me from wanting to ride, but it did prevent me from considering RTI for my M2 exit and from recommending them to new riders.
    It wouldn't have been due to instructors that rti is nolonger using king city for teaching, rti has quite a few instructors and they tend teach at multiple sites. Just like learning curves doesn't teach out of king city anymore. Who were your instructors? I'd bet it was more personality conflict than verbal abuse. I've visited a few friends when they were teaching and while they are reminding the students of basic technique they are needing to yell to get heard over the noise of the bikes.
    x

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    It wouldn't have been due to instructors that rti is nolonger using king city for teaching, rti has quite a few instructors and they tend teach at multiple sites. Just like learning curves doesn't teach out of king city anymore. Who were your instructors? I'd bet it was more personality conflict than verbal abuse. I've visited a few friends when they were teaching and while they are reminding the students of basic technique they are needing to yell to get heard over the noise of the bikes.
    I don't want to disclose names if someone has taken the RTI course and wants to privately discuss whom I liked and didn't like then so be it. However since you asked about my experience I'll divulge that but with Good Instructor and Bad Instructor instead of names.

BI's were very rude. They were generally condescending, on multiple occasions they insulted all of the students and they regularly shouted at the students well above what was required to overcome the bike noise. I spoke with the other students and they also strongly disliked the way they were treated.

When GI was giving me some feedback after completing a maneuver I told him that I thought he and one of the other GI's were good. I also said that BI's were my least favourite, he said "Thank you. I keep telling them they'll get better results from the students if they are nicer to them. You catch more flies with honey, ya know?"

When he said that, I knew it wasn't just me or the group of students. If another instructor is that candid with someone he just met, it really says a lot. Perhaps that is the personality conflict you speak of; maybe GI's had enough of working with BI's.

Not long after I completed my course I got a survey from RTI. As I have received these kinds of surveys in the past I know they often have a section at the end for additional comments. I thought that would be a good opportunity to express my discontent with BI's while praising GI's approach.

Since my words regarding BI were not going to be favourable and he was the MTO licensed tester I waited until after turning in the paperwork to the MTO to complete the survey. Otherwise at the end of the course I would have respectfully told him that his teaching style is unacceptable and that we (the students) didn't just lay out several hundred dollars to be treated so poorly; we spent that money to learn how to ride.

After passing my M1 exit at the end of the RTI course I walked back to my car got in and let out a big sigh of relief. Not just because I passed; but because I would never have to see or deal with BI's.

Perhaps now you have a better understanding of why my experience was not all that it should have been.

Sundance Kid
    Last edited by sundancekid; 08-12-2011 at 03:14 AM.

I did the RTI course in St Catharines in 2009. It was a great course and the 2 instructors were unbelievably awesome. They each had 20+ years experience in motorcycles, both hobby and racing, and had all the answers to everyone's questions without hesitation.
    They strived to make sure my mountain bike style of riding did not get me to start bad habits on a motorcycle and just overall great teachers.

I was really glad I did the course. I feel like it made me a better driver even in my car.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    They still have the intermediate course at King city which doesn't involve formal testing. Perhaps it is an instructor issue at this location. Unfortunately my experience at the King City location was quite different from yours Darwin & Silvrsrfr. Two of the instructors were very nice and offered constructive feedback. The other two were borderline verbally abusive and it really soured the experience for me.

One of the not so nice instructors was the only MTO licensed tester hence he could be as much of a jerk as he liked; perhaps they had many complaints about them. It didn't deter me from wanting to ride, but it did prevent me from considering RTI for my M2 exit and from recommending them to new riders.
    Seneca College stopped all rider training courses on school property, not just RTI, but Learning Curves as well. It was an internal decision reflecting liability concerns for the school.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian1974 View Post
    Seneca College stopped all rider training courses on school property, not just RTI, but Learning Curves as well. It was an internal decision reflecting liability concerns for the school.
    Any organization wishing to limit it's liability is understandable. From what I understand the intermediate course they offer is not actually conducted on private property. Instead it is an instructor lead group ride which starts in the King City area.

+Another for RTI. Did my course in Orillia as well with Bob and Marlon. Both were fantastic! Marlon put on a little low speed manuver clinic at lunch on the dual sport. He rode the thing at 0 km/h and never put his foot down. They taught well enough that all 10 of us passed, despite our nerves!

I finished my M2X with RTI over the weekend.

My instructor was really good and friendly. The other instructor handling the low speed M2X class (they combined 4 M2X groups for the in-class) was really annoying and treated everyone like 5 year olds.

Back when I did my M1X with RTI, I had 4 great instructors. All of them were very helpful and even gave me extra coaching when I wasn't getting it the first day. I even ran into one of them around GTA and he remembered me.

So for me 5/6 instructors were amazing. The one that wasn't great knew her stuff, but didn't need to talk down to everyone.

Overall, I would recommend them to others.