Track bike registration

Thread: Track bike registration

Track bike registration

Hey this might be a stupid question but im looking to buy a track only bike. Does the bike have to be registered here in ontario if its only for track use an not street? Same with insurance, is fire and theft fine or do you need to at least have liability?
    "We Lean Low, While You Pose Straight"
    - Mr.Ruckus

Re: Track bike registration

Quote Originally Posted by buttahz View Post
    Hey this might be a stupid question but im looking to buy a track only bike. Does the bike have to be registered here in ontario if its only for track use an not street? Same with insurance, is fire and theft fine or do you need to at least have liability?
    it does not need to be registered.

you CANNOT get fire/theft or any other type of insurance on a track bike unless you register it and maintain that it is a streetbike.

This is considered fraud however as you are misrepresenting the use of the bike.

Thx for the info!!!!
    "We Lean Low, While You Pose Straight"
    - Mr.Ruckus

I am pretty sure that you should be able to have your track bike added to your house insurance just in case it's stolen or burns down.

Quote Originally Posted by b.burton View Post
    I am pretty sure that you should be able to have your track bike added to your house insurance just in case it's stolen or burns down.

I've tried EVERY insurance company in ontario and not one will offer this coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    I've tried EVERY insurance company in ontario and not one will offer this coverage.
    Is there a possibility of covering parts of a bike with a rider on your home insurance policy? ie. one race engine worth $20000, one fork worth $5000, pay fire/theft insurance of $200/yr? They don't cover the motor vehicle, but would cover the upgraded parts required to turn a stock bike into a race bike again?

Alternatively, a downhill mountain bike and supermoto are pretty damn similar (and can be worth roughly the same money). What if you pulled the motor and coasted down hills on your SM, could that be insured?

It is ridiculously easy to get insurance for other hobbies with expensive toys (ie. photography), it is strange that insurance companies can't come up with a policy that works for track bikes.

you CANNOT get fire/theft or any other type of insurance on a track bike
    Jones Brown offers this sort of thing in their Off Track and Storage policies. Not sure if you need to be associated with a sanctioned series though.

http://www.jonesbrown.com/mts/teamsandshops.php
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Sorry, I meant "Affordable" insurance.

I used JB for a season with my Supermoto program, just over $500 per year for coverage on 2 bikes, trailer, tools, generators and other related items, coverage was for $50k.

When the policy renewed, it went up to $2200 annually.

Their personal medical insurance policy did the same after Travelers Financial discontinued their out of province coverage.

I tried to get insurance for travelling to and from the track - when the bike is in the trailer. I couldn't do it - not to say it can't be done but I couldn't find a way.

If I was trailering my riding lawnmover in my insured trailer and get T-boned - no problem. House insurance covers this not-street-legal vehicle.

If I was trailering my trackbike in my insured trailer and get T-boned - nothing.

You can get the trailer and contents insured (tools, genny etc) on a separate policy but the bike is pure evil. I failed to see the difference between the two vehicles.

I'd also suggest that if the bike has a title (Clean, Salvage, what ever) register it into your name when you buy it. So you pay a couple of hundred bucks in taxes on it. By doing this if it has some sort of a title, it at least belongs to you. If you get pulled over and "inspected" road side by and officer who's having a bad day. Try to explain why you are trailering a bike that could still be registered in someone else's name.....can we say Stolen !! Save yourself the hassle and potential problems. Secondly, it's very difficult to bring a bike into the US unless it's registered to you personally. Maybe I'm paranoid but save yourself the hassle and if you've got papers register/transfer it.
    You May Wheelie Me Down The Road....But I'll Stuff Ya In That Corner Every Time.......

R.A.C.E. AM #16
    S.O.A.R. Nov #16

www.puretrackdays.com

A big thanks to my sponsors: Yamaha Motor Canada Ltd., Brooklin Cycle Racing, Pure Trackdays Inc., Z1 Cycletech, Bickle Racing, Hindle Exhaust Systems, Armour Bodies, Accelerated Technologies., Don Butt Autobody, North American Decal.

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    I failed to see the difference between the two vehicles.
    Try highsiding a riding lawnmower (take video if you do).

My guess is the risk of fraudulent claims for crashed bikes is too high? Just a guess.
    There is no planet B.

faq dude you don't know how severly untalented I am! I am the one person (well maybe AC too) who could probably do that. But I'd do it by pure fluke whereas he'd TRY and do it.....

Investigate the claim thouroughly then. Not rocket science

Seriously eh. What ever happened to trying to catch the baddies instead of just blindly passing on their costs to honest customers!

Hrrrrm, now I'm ranting against my own speculative theory. They really should allow me to have a nap at work.
    There is no planet B.

I have an active policy with them.

Approx $700 for 35k coverage.

Sorry, I meant "Affordable" insurance.

I used JB for a season with my Supermoto program, just over $500 per year for coverage on 2 bikes, trailer, tools, generators and other related items, coverage was for $50k.

When the policy renewed, it went up to $2200 annually.

Their personal medical insurance policy did the same after Travelers Financial discontinued their out of province coverage.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

I have been running bikes back and forth for years without a single problem some with titles and some without some in my name some not. Suppose I could just be lucky? Also you can get a Y38 at any customs office no need to make a special trip. I did an old RS with no documents whatsoever right at Queenston/Lewiston Canada Customs office. Anyway as far as insurance goes I like the others have found none out side Lloyds (Jones Brown). BTW you dont have to go through JB any broker dealing with Lloyds can write a policy. If there are any others please post some specifics as I would like to investigate them as well. I am always looking for affordable liability insurance for SOAR as well.

Quote Originally Posted by woodzee View Post
    Secondly, it's very difficult to bring a bike into the US unless it's registered to you personally. Maybe I'm paranoid but save yourself the hassle and if you've got papers register/transfer it.
    Check out this thread:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...th-a-trackbike...
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. — Gretzky