Gear grinding

Thread: Gear grinding

Gear grinding

Hi All,

Just got me my first bike - a beautiful 73 cb750. I'm still trying to find the friction point on this thing cause the clutch is a bit hard to release. I know - practice, practice. Nevertheless, the first gear from neutral grinds and even the second does. Is this normal? I try to keep the idle to under 2000.

Thanks

Re: Gear grinding

When I was learning, it happened to me a couple times.. a VERY unpleasant sound. It hurt my soul. Make sure you use a firm foot, don't hesitate or be slow about it. Kick that sucker down. If it's still doing it, then that's a big problem.. you should get that checked out

Edit: Forgot to mention, make sure your clutch cable is adjusted properly. If it's dragging, then that might be your problem. Also when you downshift, make sure the clutch is in all the way. I was lazy once or twice and half-assed it.. that ended up with grinding
    Last edited by tricky; 08-07-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks Tricky - I'll just keep an eye on it and take it in if it keeps happening. I was initially told (from the seller) it was an idle issue and not clutch related. Mechanic who safetied it told me it was nothing to worry about and I will eventually learn not to grind.

Good luck! It takes 2 seconds to adjust the clutch cable, maybe it's worth a shot if its still giving you grief

Surein, do you know for a fact that 2000 is the correct idle speed for your bike? I'm not really familiar with bikes that old, but it sounds a little high.

EDIT: Cursory googling seems to suggest a speed of about 1000-1300 RPM to be correct for a CB750.
    Last edited by bombshelter13; 08-07-2011 at 11:17 PM.
    2007 Black/Silver GS500F, naked, 0.80kg/mm Sonic Springs.

Seller told me to keep it around 1800 which I do. I'm sure the bike will stall within 1000 - 1300 RPM.
    How does one adjust the clutch cable?

If you think it'll be stalling at the recommended idle, you'll probably need to clean out the carb. If that doesn't help, you might have low compression or something a little more serious like that. You can do the carb cleaning yourself, just try to find a step-by-step guide online, or get a Haynes manual. It should take you an hour or two

Anwyay, here's an in-depth article on adjusting the clutch cable http://www.snowvalley.20m.com/bikes/clutches.htm I did mine on the side of a country road, when I figured out I was dragging. I just adjusted the cable at the grip, I didn't go into any more detail then that. Play with it until you stop grinding. Unfortunately for you, the friction zone will probably change, I stalled it right after I finished adjusting it

That's a great read. I'll tinker with the cable first before I go ahead and start removing parts for a carb clean. I ordered a manual so hopefully that'll help me a bit too.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Surein View Post
    Seller told me to keep it around 1800 which I do. I'm sure the bike will stall within 1000 - 1300 RPM.
    How does one adjust the clutch cable?
    The seller must have told you that to cover up a problem, if the bike's stalling at the manufacturer's recommended idle RPM there's something wrong with it and you should get it looked at.
    2007 Black/Silver GS500F, naked, 0.80kg/mm Sonic Springs.

*gasp* you think he lied to me? You are probably right. I'll keep playing with the air adjustment screw to tune it once the engine gets warm. Thanks.

might have to rev up to 1800-2000 to take off from a stand still but it shouldn't idle there.
    x

Thanks to all the help - I found out that as the engine got warmer the idle went up so I had to close off the air to keep it at 1000. This got rid of the gear grinding. I'm starting to love my cougar