Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
I wouldn't make it a blanket 50-over. I'd work on either a straight formula of 50% or more over, or do brackets. 20-over in a 40 or less zone. 30-over in a 50 or 60 zone. 40-over in a 70 or 80 zone. 50-over in a 90 or 100 zone.
While I understand the basic principle behind why one would want to do something like that ...

As long as we have speed limits that are unnecessarily low, then such a scheme would result in excessive and unnecessary punishment for doing something that is not particularly dangerous.

I have a LONG list of roads that have inexplicably low speed limits.

McLaren Road south of 124 to where the conservation area entrance is, for but one example. Runs between two gravel pits. Only a couple of driveways in a couple of kilometers. Straight. Good visibility. There's hardly any traffic on it. But it's a 60 zone. WHY? (I'm not talking about the section south of the conservation area - that's a different matter.)

It ought to be an 80 zone, even to be consistent with other Ontario roads, and I wouldn't feel particularly at any undue risk going 100 there (hypothetically, of course - same is true of most 80-posted roads). It makes NO sense. So why should that be a HTA 172?

60 zone in an urban/surburban street with plenty of driveways etc, FINE. But this one defies logic.