tickets for insurance

Thread: tickets for insurance

tickets for insurance

Looking to get my bike insured, quick question...
    I know they ask you for your record for the last 3 years but what tickets actually affect your insurance rates?
    I have stupid ones for my car like headlight, cracked windshield and improper muffler, would these affect my insurance rates?

Re: tickets for insurance

Doesn't matter what kind of ticket it is. As long as it's a traffic ticket, and you have more than 2, you will get an increase.

*Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

There are some convictions that are not surcharged by some companies. I think it depends on the company. The convictions that you listed may (or may not) be surcharged, but your broker/agent should know. I know of at least one company that doesn't surcharge for seatbelt violations (but they really should IMO). As a general, if the conviction shows on your record with the MTO (called the MVR), then the insurance company will likely consider it to be a conviction.

FYI, parking tickets and local bylaw tickets are not surcharged.

rideitlikeyoustoleit -- only Jevco gives you two freebies, where as most other companies only give you one. State Farm surcharges on the first conviction. Refer to my other post here:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...urance-Premium
    Last edited by VifferFun; 08-05-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

crap i have 4 tickets that are: failure to have insurance card(card only, i have insurance), headlight, improper muffler and cracked windshield. My other one is unsafe start from stopped position

So what you guys are saying is insurance companies will account me for 5 tickets?!

Quote Originally Posted by paps89 View Post
    crap i have 4 tickets that are: failure to have insurance card(card only, i have insurance), headlight, improper muffler and cracked windshield. My other one is unsafe start from stopped position

So what you guys are saying is insurance companies will account me for 5 tickets?!

you should have taken them to court, the first 4 most likely would have been dropped if you showed them the receipt that you fixed the problem and that you did indeed have insurance.

the other most likely would have been dropped as there is no definition for what an unsafe start from a stopped position is so you could get the officer going around in circles trying to come up with a definition if you know what your doing. its hard to get a conviction for those kind of things as relies too much on officer discretion, similar to an amber light ticket or an unsafe turn ticket.