Some Newbie Questions -> planning on CBR 250cc

Thread: Some Newbie Questions -> planning on CBR 250cc

Question Some Newbie Questions -> planning on CBR 250cc

Hi All,

I tried searching for the answers to the following question but I didn't have any luck.Therefore, I apologize in case if the specific question has been discussed numerous times. Instead of getting mad or ignoring the post I would appreciate if you can just point me to that thread.

I recently got my M1 and will be booking my M2 date in September for the Brampton Test Centre. I have some of the following questions.

1) I have read the sticky for newbies trying to go for big bikes and it was one of the most useful posts. However, I went and checked out some of the bikes today. While CBR 250 is the one I'm leaning towards, I thought that Ninja 400 might also be an option. In all honesty, I've never ridden a bike before and this will be my first bike. I'm 6' and weigh about 190 lbs. Based on the experience of the members here, is CBR 250 still a better bet or its ok if I push for Ninja 400?

2) This will be my first bike and therefore, I know that I'll be making mistakes. However, I definitely don't want any hassles of dealing with Garage Mechanics either. Based on that, I was wondering if I should go for a new or used bike? A Bike is a dangerous toy after all. I don't mind investing in a new one if a new bike significantly adds more to my safety (though I'd rather save up for a better bike later on).

3) I'm guessing you would've figured out by now that I don't own a bike. I will be taking classes at humber college one of the weekends. However, after taking the lessons I'd still like a bit of practice for driving on the road and practice for my M2 test. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what can I do in this case. Also, where/how do I arrange a bike for the Test day?

Thanks in advance for your help folks.

Re: Some Newbie Questions -> planning on CBR 250cc

try doing the course first and see how comfortable you are after the course (might have a different view after) and look to buy maybe on the down season ( thats my suggestion)

My personal suggestion is go with the 250 and get one used! You will prob change bikes in a season or two. You want to max your area of error and forgiveness of a bike! i think theres no point of getting a new bike just because you will prob upgrade to a new bigger bike after.

Welcome, just a point of clarification. If you take the Humber College course you are tested for your M1 exit (M2) on the last day of the course so there is no need to take a test at the Brampton Test Centre. I am 6ft as well and started on a Ninja 250. The CBR 250 is a little smaller, have you looked at the Ninja 250r? Also, for your first bike I would go used. The Ninja 400 is overpriced. My choices would be Ninja 250r or Ninja 500 (older looking and fugly), or GSF 500. Good luck!

Yes, if you can get passed the old fairing style, the Ninja 500 is an amazing bike. Way more power than the 250 and the 400 (which is simply a castrated 650). ... At the same time the delivery is fairly smooth. However, that bike's seat height is fairly low.

I had the ZZR250 as my first bike and found it a bit cramped and I'm your size. SV650S is what I have now and it's more comfortable but I wouldn't recommend that bike to everyone as their first because it's quite torquy. Nevertheless, SV is an extremely popular bike and for a reason. Lots of fun, light and nimble with plenty of low end grunt due to the V-twin set up.

And yes, get a used one. For your own safety, you need good brakes, tires, chain. All these things are easy to check. The biggest component/factor in accidents is you and/or the driver that collides with you. It is extremely rare that a bike accident is caused by a mechanical failure.
    Last edited by DemonPig; 08-02-2011 at 09:52 PM.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

If you're taking the gearing up course then they provide the bikes.

If you are going to get a CBR250 which is a nice bike, look for ABS if you can. It is well worth it.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

As the others stated, you don't have to take the test in Brampton at the ministry. If you take the bike course through one of the schools they do the m1 exit test on premises, all you have to do is take the paperwork they give you to the ministry afterwards (60 days after passing your m1 written test).

That said if you haven't booked yet at Humber, you can expect a long wait. They were my first choice but when i tried to register a few weeks ago they were booked through Sept. I highly recommend Centennial College, i signed up for their course online and got in the very same weekend, that was last week, now i passed and have my m2 Also, they have a good selection of bikes to use, more than Humber who i believe only use Cruisers (could be wrong). Centennial have Honda CBR125r's, Titan 150cc and Suzuki G2 250cc Marauder Cruisers. The instructors there were great and the facility is as well. Nice big lot to have fun on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P30-07-11_13-01.jpg  

@Baggsy,

Good point about the ABS. I went today to check out some bikes at the Honda store. The difference in the one with ABS and without ABS is only $500.

The salesman said that it helps only if the road is wet. I don't mind spending extra $500, but do you know how/what does it add to the riding safety/experience?

@DemonPig

Ah, the temptation of buying a 650 CC bike. But I'm mature enough to realize that wiser than wisdom is experience.

Obviously I'm late for this season but I'll make sure I'm ready for the next. I just wish there was a way I could build my insurance history, which was the main reason I was hoping to find it this season.

Any ideas/tips on used bike search. If you know of guide/read, please let me know.

@Britor

I'm planning on taking classes at the end of September since I just got my M1 on July 27th. So I have plenty of time. In fact I couldn't even enrol for the September class on Humber website as I have to wait till Fall. But thanks for the heads up. I'll enrol well in advance.

Quick Question: Is the limit of 60 days for the test or to enrol in a course. Since the classes start on Saturday, I was thinking to start the course on the 59th day and by the time its my 60th day, I'll give the test.

Do you guys know of any cases where people have failed this test?

Quote Originally Posted by MR_ActionTime View Post
    @DemonPig

Ah, the temptation of buying a 650 CC bike. But I'm mature enough to realize that wiser than wisdom is experience.

Obviously I'm late for this season but I'll make sure I'm ready for the next. I just wish there was a way I could build my insurance history, which was the main reason I was hoping to find it this season.

Any ideas/tips on used bike search. If you know of guide/read, please let me know.

As a matter of fact, the prices and selection are the best at the end of the season so you're not in a bad position.
    As for advice on used bikes, just search this forum and google. There are literally hundreds of threads dedicated to that.
    My advice is, when you search on Kijiji or similar websites, expand your search to outside GTA. You can find motorcycles for 50% less, well worth the drive.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

@Britor

I'm planning on taking classes at the end of September since I just got my M1 on July 27th. So I have plenty of time. In fact I couldn't even enrol for the September class on Humber website as I have to wait till Fall. But thanks for the heads up. I'll enrol well in advance.

Quick Question: Is the limit of 60 days for the test or to enrol in a course. Since the classes start on Saturday, I was thinking to start the course on the 59th day and by the time its my 60th day, I'll give the test.

Do you guys know of any cases where people have failed this test?
    Just a tip, you can sign up for the M1 Exit course right away, even right after you get your M1 You don't have to wait the full 60 days. You can even do it right now if you want. If you're successful and pass the M1X test, the school will hand you a sealed envelope that you hand into the MTO Licensing office on the 61st day to get upgraded to an M2 license.

And to address the failing test point, just because you sign up for the course doesn't mean that you are automatically guaranteed an M2. You'll have to earn it. With that said, I just finished my course successfully at Centennial College today and the last time I checked, they had the most availability as far as classes go.

Just to clarify, if you take the weekend Humber course, the M1 exit test isn't truly a road test - it's a series of drills in a parking lot designed to check whether you have adequate control of the bike. If you've never ridden a motorcycle prior to the course, you'll probably find the hardest part is learning to do the tight turns at slow speed. When you do the M2 exit test for the full M license after a couple of riding seasons, that one will be a true road test where the examiner watches your lane positioning, signaling, shoulder checks, etc.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

@Baggsy,

Good point about the ABS. I went today to check out some bikes at the Honda store. The difference in the one with ABS and without ABS is only $500.

The salesman said that it helps only if the road is wet. I don't mind spending extra $500, but do you know how/what does it add to the riding safety/experience?
    To be honest, it takes away some of the challenge of braking. If you accidentally grab a handful of brake in the dry they won't lock up and you won't go down, because of it.

You can still mess up big time, but that one element is reduced if not eliminated. I still haven't been able to lock my brakes, and I can usually out brake the other bikes in my refresher class, even the big cruisers.

With the back brake not locking the rear end doesn't come around and try and pass the front.

If you were really good at threshold braking and had a few practice runs, then you might be able to sometimes out brake the ABS.

I'm not sure about the salesman's comment. I've found that it helps wet or dry.
    Last edited by Baggsy; 08-08-2011 at 09:13 AM.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Hey there Mr Actiontime,

I was in a similar situation as you about a month ago.

I looked at the ninja 400 but since its a new bike you won't find any used ones I was not willing to spend the money they are asking if I'm planning to upgrade from it in a season or two. I narrowed it down to cbr250, ninja250, ninja 500 and the gs500. The look of the 250's is what I liked better so I started comparing between those 2. I ended up with the ninja250, and being around 190lbs myself, I always though in the back of my mind that I might be making a mistake getting something I will outgrow in a couple of months.

Guess what... this thing is a blast. Had if for 2 weeks now, put on about 1500km (have no feeling on both my thumbs and my ***** is on fire) and tonight I was out in an empty parking lot practicing knee dragging. Not only am I not second guessing myself anymore....I am actually thinking of NOT selling it, but keeping it as a track bike once I upgrade to a SS next year or the next.

I live in stouffville and no matter which street you take going up there, after markham (major mac) it becomes an 80km zone but all cars do 100. The bike has no issues following traffic on 80 zones....I haven't gone on the hwy because I only have my m1.... going to do the test this weekend.

The only thing I can say about differences on the two bikes is the weight of the 400 will make it feel more stable at high speeds than the lighter 250. other than that....riding a 250cc bike "normally" a 190lb guy has no issues....not even if you need to accelerate to pass someone... ( speaking about the ninja250...never been on the cbr but should be very similar I would think)
    To ride or not to ride…THAT is a stupid question !!