How to convince my dad to let me get a scooter? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to convince my dad to let me get a scooter?

Re: How to convince my dad to let me get a scooter?

Quote Originally Posted by Nofear View Post
    Insurance will not be covered by a couple hundred dollars for a 17 year old, not to mention you also need gas money.
    My job will cover the insurance cost. Insurance will be about 1800 per year. Gas will cost me 8-15$ a fill up.

Quote Originally Posted by d4rktrooper788 View Post
    My job will cover the insurance cost. Insurance will be about 1800 per year. Gas will cost me 8-15$ a fill up.
    Typically, for recreational vehicles, you have to prepay for the whole season unless you're with State Farm and they won't touch you until you've been licensed for 5 years.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

do what i did. JUST DO IT they accept it after a while.

17 wasn't too long ago for me but I do recal those angsty years when you wanted to be an adult and they treat you like a child. Looking back on those years I get it now.

First of all, don't fret that you're 17 and still live with your parents. I know people well into their twenties and early thirties who are in that position. Hell, I came back from a long trip away with work and had to move back in with them at 23 just so I could go to school. Times are different and don't grow up beyond your means too soon.

As for the bike. I opted to go with the beg for forgiveness instead of ask permission. In the long run it worked for me. My mom was on board as well and my dad, like yours hated them.

If you chose to go that route I suggest compromising with a bike in your range as you've seem to have done. Buy it and explain why you did what you did. If its that important to you they should understand if you make a valid case. Everything is based on maturity and your parents want to be proven you have it. They will judge you hard in the first while so be sure to ride safe and stay out of trouble. At your age, one violation will screw you for many years to come. Believe me, I know.

For all the parents out there. I think it's also important to remember to respect your child as well. Let them grow up and make mistakes (hopefully not costly ones). It's your job to protect but not smuther with rules or you're asking to be resented.

My first bike was at 16. A YZ125 dirt bike I bought with money I earned my first summer of work. Never have I felt such satisfaction in myself.

As for you buddy. I do agree with the wait on it till your 18. That way the system recognizes you as an adult and you can do as you wish with your money but be prepared to live with whatever consequences that entails. That's what growing up is.
    Last edited by Banger; 08-09-2011 at 09:07 AM.

What do you guys mean by "beg for forgiveness"? Like buy the bike and then beg your parents to forgive you for doing so? I'm confused

Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    ...For all the parents out there. I think it's also important to remember to respect your child as well. Let them grow up and make mistakes (hopefully not costly ones). It's your job to protect but not smuther with rules or you're asking to be resented...
    I'm going to go out on a limb and presume that you yourself are not a parent, yet? If so, then with all due respect, it's easy to make your above statement. If/when you have your own children, I hope you will truly understand. And if, as a mother, I am "resented" for being protective, I can live with that.
    2007 Honda CBR125r
    Prov. 15:1
    John 8:7

Protective parents are what's messing up our society.
    2007 Black/Silver GS500F, naked, 0.80kg/mm Sonic Springs.

Again I ask, what do people mean by beg for forgiveness?

Beg for forgiveness is just that. Go buy the scoot, show up at home with it and someday you will be forgiven. I don't recommend this approach mind you.

Have you even gotten your M1 and booked a course yet?
    If you've spent all this time talking about it and still haven't done at least that much of course they aren't going to take you seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Have you even gotten your M1 and booked a course yet?
    If you've spent all this time talking about it and still haven't done at least that much of course they aren't going to take you seriously.
    Yup, I have my M2, I'm just now in the process of buying gear, that way when I turn 18 all I have to buy is the actual scooter.

I'll weigh in on the parents side, dont listen to the people telling you "just do it", that will end badly. If you have a bank account that is set up to require parental signing to access money, they may not give you access at 18 either. They have to sign off on the restriction.

I grew up with bikes, dirt bikes, go karts, snowmobiles and boats. I had been riding for 8 years by the time i turned 16, it does not prepare you for a left turning Buick, or that assclown on a bicycle sidewalk riding and shooting off the curb at 20km.

Keep gently pushing, they may lighten up. Take a course, take two. Book an advanced riding course with any of the groups and look like your trying to learn skills. My mom hated streetbikes, she was worried for me. She still worries, its been 30yrs..... its what parents do.

My son at 20 doesnt actually want to ride, I dont get it, but if he wanted to I could never play the hypocrite card and tell him, its fine for me, not for you. But everybody is different and thats ok.

You gotta pick your fights, your 17 and will be at home for a while yet. Respect your parents. Not getting a scooter right now is not worth the potential fallout from showing up with it. If you just showed up with it at my house when I had said no, it would mysteriously not start. Every second day.

Get picture's of your dad motor boating his secretary at the office Christmas party, then black mail him.
    Sleeping is my drug,
    My bed is my dealer,
    and my alarm clock
    is the police.

Quote Originally Posted by REDBALLS View Post
    Get picture's of your dad motor boating his secretary at the office Christmas party, then black mail him.
    Lol no. I'm just going to wait till I'm 18, I already talked to my mom about it and she said they won't stop me. So yeah.

This thread reminds me of when I brought home a CR80 against my parents will. I stored it in the back shed... It was in the middle of the winter and when my father came home he followed the tire tracks to the shed....

At the age of 16, I RAN for my life when he came running in the house. I still remember that day as if it were yesterday....

Since then I've owned 5 additional bikes and they've accepted the fact that I enjoy riding.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRider View Post
    This thread reminds me of when I brought home a CR80 against my parents will. I stored it in the back shed... It was in the middle of the winter and when my father came home he followed the tire tracks to the shed....

At the age of 16, I RAN for my life when he came running in the house. I still remember that day as if it were yesterday....

Since then I've owned 5 additional bikes and they've accepted the fact that I enjoy riding.
    My dad will probably yell and scream at me when I bring home my bike in the spring. But honestly I don't care, it's my life, and unless they want to kick me out, riding is something I want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by d4rktrooper788 View Post
    ...But honestly I don't care,...
    Bad attitude.

Yes, it's your life. But, if you believe riding is worth being kicked out of your home for...well good luck to you. There's a saying I grew up with "those who can't hear, feel". I hope these words don't come back to bite you in the b-tt.
    2007 Honda CBR125r
    Prov. 15:1
    John 8:7

Quote Originally Posted by skitta View Post
    Bad attitude.

Yes, it's your life. But, if you believe riding is worth being kicked out of your home for...well good luck to you. There's a saying I grew up with "those who can't hear, feel". I hope these words don't come back to bite you in the b-tt.
    No no I meant UNLESS they kick me out (or threaten to), I'm not just gonna give up. If they threaten to kick me out then obviously I will have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by skitta View Post
    Bad attitude.

Agreed.... buddies age shows strongly in his posts. This I don't care attitude.... well.... I'll never ride with him.
    Last edited by Cat13; 08-23-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: its tuesday morning
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Hear that? No boobies for you!