How to convince my dad to let me get a scooter?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to convince my dad to let me get a scooter?

How to convince my dad to let me get a scooter?

Hey all,

I don't know if anyone here has had similar issues, but basically I want a scooter. I'm 17 and live with my parents (go figure), and have the money in my savings account which I have earned myself. I can pay for EVERYTHING (scooter, gear, license, insurance, etc.) myself.

However my parents conveniently have access to the account, and will not give me my money.

Now my mom is on board with it, but my dad isn't. She won't give me my money, and he refuses to entertain the idea that I will ever ride.

Basically I need to convince him, or wait till I'm 18. My birthday is this December, but I wouldn't be able to ride until next season. Any ideas/tips that have worked for you?

Just a heads up, my dad's friend was killed on a motorcycle when he was 17, so my dad's a little biased to say the least. Then again that was in 1975 in rural NS, but you get the point.

Re: How to convince my dad to let me get a scooter?

Tell him its not like its fast enough to do anything stupid on and you wont call for a ride home anymore and if he says No then just call him everytime you are going somewhere or cominghome and say can you drive me since I dont have my own transportation.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    Tell him its not like its fast enough to do anything stupid on and you wont call for a ride home anymore and if he says No then just call him everytime you are going somewhere or cominghome and say can you drive me since I dont have my own transportation.
    I was tempted to do this, however I feel that will just get him more ******...

Their roof, their rules even though it's kinda rough that they're rationing your own money. Why don't you just go to the bank and say your car got stolen, ask for a replacement?
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Their roof, their rules even though it's kinda rough that they're rationing your own money. Why don't you just go to the bank and say your car got stolen, ask for a replacement?
    They're not going to release $3400 in cash to a minor who isn't even the full owner of the account, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by d4rktrooper788 View Post
    They're not going to release $3400 in cash to a minor who isn't even the full owner of the account, lol.
    3400? That's not gonna cover scooter, gear and insurance. In that case open your own account and from now on, put your money into it. Look for the first opportunity to siphon the rest of your cash into it. That's just so you can have access to your money, but I'd continue saving until next season if I were you.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Ohh man that sucks big time.

Forgiveness is easier to ask for than permission.
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)

At 17 you should be able to stand on your own 2 feet. Take the money and do what you want with it, unless it involves buying a scooter. Buy a motorcycle!

Interesting comments from non parents- I am facing this at the moment however I think we have persuaded our 16 year old to get his G1 G2 first. so he is comfortable with traffic and the rules of the road. He raced Karts for 2 seasons so we know he can drive but the road is very different from the track. He can use one of our cars (Mom's)

Congrats to you for working hard and earning the money.

Don't disobey your parents. Especially if you live there. Shows a lack of respect. In the grand scheme of life, so you don't get a scooter now. Your parents are happy, you move out later get a real bike. So you delayed by a few years. You've got tons of time, why push it.

I think you need to do a bit more research on what you're getting with $3400.
    That will probably only cover the scooter and gear.
    Not having access to your own bank account kinda screws you over cause there are going to be things like paying for gas and insurance that you are going to have to pay for later.

To be honest, at 17, I would say it is near impossible to convince your dad to allow you to get your own motor vehicle especially when a friend died on a bike accident. I would say most parents would not want their kids riding a bike cause of how many fatalities or serious injuries occur and are reported on the news. I think their main concern is the fear of irresponsible riding and drivers around.

Overall, if your dad is a stubborn kind of person or a very worrisome father, you will not convince him to say yes. Just wait till you have access to your own bank account and pay for it yourself as you should probably seem "more responsible" by then because 18 is such a magical number somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyskywalker View Post
    Don't disobey your parents. Especially if you live there. Shows a lack of respect. In the grand scheme of life, so you don't get a scooter now...
    Above all else, please respect your parents. I'm going to assume that you are not a parent yourself, yet One day, maybe, you will be. And believe me, then, and only then, will you understand how your own parents feel.

I got my M2 at the age of 46. My then 19 y.o. son asked if he could then get his motorcycle license. My response was "not as long as you live under my roof". And I meant every single word. No, my son is not a "mama's boy". And he is certainly capable of "standing on his own two feet". But, more importantly, he respects and loves me.
    2007 Honda CBR125r
    Prov. 15:1
    John 8:7

I'm sure your father has his reasons. Some of which you may not agree with. The arrangement regarding the funds was made that way for a reason as well. A scooter, gear and insurance may not be the the best way to spend that hard earned money. I would talk to your Dad and even agree not to purchase a scooter. However, express a desire to obtain a proper licence through a course. Maybe even invite him to take it with you and offer to pay for him too? It can be fun and might just be enough to consider getting something for next season? I suspect, he'll return the favor. Maybe not this season but, probably next.

Good luck.

And as a heads up, your parents' resistance to you getting a bike won't change anytime soon (perhaps ever). I'm 31, living on my own, single, and my parents still don't approve of me getting a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by skitta View Post
    I got my M2 at the age of 46. My then 19 y.o. son asked if he could then get his motorcycle license. My response was "not as long as you live under my roof". And I meant every single word. No, my son is not a "mama's boy". And he is certainly capable of "standing on his own two feet". But, more importantly, he respects and loves me.
    Can I ask why? When I wanted to join the army, become a cop, get a bike, go skydiving, go away for University, get into racing (car, not bike), my dad supported all these ideas, but my mom NEVER did. Sure these things can be dangerous, but the bottom line is that I'm going to do (or try) most of these things with or without their support, it would just be nice to have their support.

Tell them if they don't let you, as soon as you can you'll move out a buy a Busa. Maybe they'll consider letting you have that scooter.

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    3400? That's not gonna cover scooter, gear and insurance. In that case open your own account and from now on, put your money into it. Look for the first opportunity to siphon the rest of your cash into it. That's just so you can have access to your money, but I'd continue saving until next season if I were you.
    Well the scooter is on the road for 2300. Gear is about 600 (I already bought a helmet). Riding school is 450, so that puts us at 3400. The insurance will be covered by the couple 100 dollars I've siphoned off + my job. So yeah, all I need from the bank is about 3400. Oh and a guardian to co-sign on the insurance and the bill of sale...

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    Can I ask why? When I wanted to join the army, become a cop, get a bike, go skydiving, go away for University, get into racing (car, not bike), my dad supported all these ideas, but my mom NEVER did. Sure these things can be dangerous, but the bottom line is that I'm going to do (or try) most of these things with or without their support, it would just be nice to have their support.
    I've been trying to tell my parents this as well, but it's difficult to explain it to them without sounding like I'm threatening them. Then again they need to realise the second I turn 18 I'm going to the bank, but whatever. Like you said, it would be nice to have their support.

I know you want to run out and get that scooter as soon as you turn 18, but maybe you should hold off altogether until you've moved out, gone away for school, etc. They're not going to be any more approving just because you legally have access to that money, and whether you (are us here) agree or not, they have some legit reasons for wanting to keep you off two wheels. Honestly, I don't think the majority of parents would be happy with their teenagers getting onto a motorcycle or scooter. As someone has already said: their house, their rules. I would suggest respecting that.

I say keep trying to talk to them about and show that you've done all research, and that you're committed to this goal and it isn't just a flight of fancy. I found that if I worked on my parents long enough, I could eventually get them on board for almost anything.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    It's difficult really to put into words. I think, for now, the best I can come up with is it's a "mom thing" (?) Believe me, I know that if my son wanted to get his motorcycle license, there is absolutely nothing I could do to stop him. There has been very little in my son's life where I have not supported him. BTW, neither he nor my own mom approves of me riding.
    2007 Honda CBR125r
    Prov. 15:1
    John 8:7