How to convince my dad to let me get a scooter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to convince my dad to let me get a scooter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to convince my dad to let me get a scooter?

Hey all,

I don't know if anyone here has had similar issues, but basically I want a scooter. I'm 17 and live with my parents (go figure), and have the money in my savings account which I have earned myself. I can pay for EVERYTHING (scooter, gear, license, insurance, etc.) myself.

However my parents conveniently have access to the account, and will not give me my money.

Now my mom is on board with it, but my dad isn't. She won't give me my money, and he refuses to entertain the idea that I will ever ride.

Basically I need to convince him, or wait till I'm 18. My birthday is this December, but I wouldn't be able to ride until next season. Any ideas/tips that have worked for you?

Just a heads up, my dad's friend was killed on a motorcycle when he was 17, so my dad's a little biased to say the least. Then again that was in 1975 in rural NS, but you get the point.

Re: How to convince my dad to let me get a scooter?

Tell him its not like its fast enough to do anything stupid on and you wont call for a ride home anymore and if he says No then just call him everytime you are going somewhere or cominghome and say can you drive me since I dont have my own transportation.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    Tell him its not like its fast enough to do anything stupid on and you wont call for a ride home anymore and if he says No then just call him everytime you are going somewhere or cominghome and say can you drive me since I dont have my own transportation.
    I was tempted to do this, however I feel that will just get him more ******...

Their roof, their rules even though it's kinda rough that they're rationing your own money. Why don't you just go to the bank and say your car got stolen, ask for a replacement?
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Their roof, their rules even though it's kinda rough that they're rationing your own money. Why don't you just go to the bank and say your car got stolen, ask for a replacement?
    They're not going to release $3400 in cash to a minor who isn't even the full owner of the account, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by d4rktrooper788 View Post
    They're not going to release $3400 in cash to a minor who isn't even the full owner of the account, lol.
    3400? That's not gonna cover scooter, gear and insurance. In that case open your own account and from now on, put your money into it. Look for the first opportunity to siphon the rest of your cash into it. That's just so you can have access to your money, but I'd continue saving until next season if I were you.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Ohh man that sucks big time.

Forgiveness is easier to ask for than permission.
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)

I started off much like you and bought a scooter at 18 going on 19. One day came home from holidays and found a 50cc scoot in the driveway.

I should've taken a different approach but money was tight. I'd recommend writing your M1 and doing the course first. Your dad's angle is the safety side of it. Forget the vehicle you want and play to his side of it. Get the M1, get the motorcycle safety course. You're then licensed by the government to ride any 300 hp race rocket on any highway you want, have done emergency braking and emergency steering confidently on a motorcycle, and are settling for a humble little scooter.

It takes away a lot of the arguments against your request and makes it seem much more reasonable. Take this approach. It will be a good lesson on taking the smarter road to get to the same place when you start riding street.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    I started off much like you and bought a scooter at 18 going on 19. One day came home from holidays and found a 50cc scoot in the driveway.

I should've taken a different approach but money was tight. I'd recommend writing your M1 and doing the course first. Your dad's angle is the safety side of it. Forget the vehicle you want and play to his side of it. Get the M1, get the motorcycle safety course. You're then licensed by the government to ride any 300 hp race rocket on any highway you want, have done emergency braking and emergency steering confidently on a motorcycle, and are settling for a humble little scooter.

It takes away a lot of the arguments against your request and makes it seem much more reasonable. Take this approach. It will be a good lesson on taking the smarter road to get to the same place when you start riding street.
    Oh I've tried that. I even offered to pay for it. Apparently that doesn't change anything in his mind

And for the record I'm not being impatient. It would be nice to have his support for this, regardless of how old I am, I don't want to be walking on eggshells every time I come home.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyskywalker View Post
    Don't disobey your parents. Especially if you live there. Shows a lack of respect. In the grand scheme of life, so you don't get a scooter now. Your parents are happy, you move out later get a real bike. So you delayed by a few years. You've got tons of time, why push it.
    I didn't have support from my dad... and I come from a biker family. Mind you my dad was nervious from dropping a bike with me on back... I would say out of respect its their roof their rules. Move out on your own and then look at it. Can always fight with it being a economic transportation. Show them the costs for insurance and the scooter vs the cost of transit passes.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

What kind of scooter do you want to get? I'm selling a rough riva 180cc scooter. Looks rough runs sweet.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Oh I've tried that. I even offered to pay for it. Apparently that doesn't change anything in his mind

And for the record I'm not being impatient. It would be nice to have his support for this, regardless of how old I am, I don't want to be walking on eggshells every time I come home.
    You don't try by offering to do something and giving up when turned down. You try by doing it and seeing if it gets the result you want. That's what it means to try. Either do it or don't. Go get that M1 and take the course.

he can't take the course with out a parent signing.

OP have you checked into the cost of insurance on a 50cc scooter? it's not cheap.
    x

I was wondering the same thing. On my 50cc moped alone it cost at least $400/year and that's being a 30 year old with lots of years driving. Can't imagine what it be for a 17 year old kid.

May not be the best advice but words is just words. Ride it for a few weeks and your parents will eventually see how harmless they are.

If insurance is too high for a scooter, it might be better to just live under your parents occasional drive insurance until you can get your own insurance for cheaper. At least that's what the norm was when I was 16/17.

I know when I lived under my parents insurance as an occasional driver they paid for it.

People are going to slam me for this, but if you have money you control from your job that you were gonna spend on the insurance, could you save up say 900-1000$ of it? If so, get an e-bike. E-bikes get a lot of flak around here because a lot of the people riding them ARE genuinely idiots, but it's not a rule and there's no reason you can't ride one intelligently. Plus, there's just about nothing your parents can do about it - there's nothing they'd need to sign, you can walk into the store with your cash and ride out on one.

Once you move out, as soon as you can afford it go right ahead and sell off that e-bike or just trash it and buy yourself a proper scooter or beginner motorcycle.

I'm just as suspicious and wary of the 30+ year olds riding e-bikes as the rest of GTAM - people of that age SHOULD be able to get a proper license and afford a proper two-wheeled vehicle, but they really aren't a bad option if you're young and want a way to get into riding on two wheels that's low in administrative hassle and cost, and the practice on two wheels certainly won't hurt when you're able to move to a 'real bike'.

EDIT: Plus, maybe once you've had an e-bike for a few months, you might be able to convince your parents that a scooter would be 'just like the e-bike but safer and with insurance' and they might even let you get one - in which case selling a lightly used e-bike to get your cash back for a scoot should be pretty easy - with a month or two of use on it, you could probably unload it quickly for maybe 200$ less than you paid for it on a site like www.ebikeriders.com.
    2007 Black/Silver GS500F, naked, 0.80kg/mm Sonic Springs.

Do your dad a favour and wait until you move out, then do what you want, until then bide by his rules under his roof.....
    Hey all,

I don't know if anyone here has had similar issues, but basically I want a scooter. I'm 17 and live with my parents (go figure), and have the money in my savings account which I have earned myself. I can pay for EVERYTHING (scooter, gear, license, insurance, etc.) myself.

However my parents conveniently have access to the account, and will not give me my money.

Now my mom is on board with it, but my dad isn't. She won't give me my money, and he refuses to entertain the idea that I will ever ride.

Basically I need to convince him, or wait till I'm 18. My birthday is this December, but I wouldn't be able to ride until next season. Any ideas/tips that have worked for you?

Just a heads up, my dad's friend was killed on a motorcycle when he was 17, so my dad's a little biased to say the least. Then again that was in 1975 in rural NS, but you get the point.

Have you even gotten your M1 and booked a course yet?
    If you've spent all this time talking about it and still haven't done at least that much of course they aren't going to take you seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Have you even gotten your M1 and booked a course yet?
    If you've spent all this time talking about it and still haven't done at least that much of course they aren't going to take you seriously.
    Yup, I have my M2, I'm just now in the process of buying gear, that way when I turn 18 all I have to buy is the actual scooter.

Get picture's of your dad motor boating his secretary at the office Christmas party, then black mail him.
    Sleeping is my drug,
    My bed is my dealer,
    and my alarm clock
    is the police.