Switching from cbr to honda shadow

Thread: Switching from cbr to honda shadow

Switching from cbr to honda shadow

After 3 years of not riding and only riding a sport bike I will be riding a cruiser starting next week. I have never been on one before so i was wondering if there is anything I should watch out for that is different from riding a sport bike(except for the obvious). Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a bit nervous riding it for the first time.

Re: Switching from cbr to honda shadow

What size of Shadow are you getting?

Just be mindful that you can't throw the bike around in corners as much as you can a sportbike. You're fairly upright on the Shadow.

It's also quite a bit heavier so stopping distance is quite a bit longer.

You will find that your powerband is a lot lower, you'll be switching gears more often...but you won't need to rev the bejesus out of it to get it to move.

If you haven't got a windscreen and would like to go long distances on the bike, I strongly recommend one. It will help prevent fatigue.

You'll also notice a complete lack of pain in your lower back and wrists.

Enjoy...
    2007 VRSCDX Night Rod Special - aka. The Bike I wanted in the first place.
    2002 Honda Shadow 750 ACE

Straight Pipes 4 life!

Quote Originally Posted by Myztyk View Post

You'll also notice a complete lack of pain in your lower back and wrists.

Enjoy...
    That's not entirely true, you are mostly sitting on your tailbone, your behind will get numb after a couple of hours so invest in a good seat.
    2009 Yamaha V Star 650 Midnight Custom

Funny....I don't have any problems.
    2007 VRSCDX Night Rod Special - aka. The Bike I wanted in the first place.
    2002 Honda Shadow 750 ACE

Straight Pipes 4 life!

this is strange. . .when i test rode the m50 i found that the slight lean back put more pressure on my lower back. i felt it after only 30 mins. maybe a corbin or mustang seat would fix that.

i also felt like i was 'in' the bike, rather than perched 'on top' of it. . .something that i guess i could get used to, but it felt weird.

Quote Originally Posted by afong56 View Post
    this is strange. . .when i test rode the m50 i found that the slight lean back put more pressure on my lower back. i felt it after only 30 mins. maybe a corbin or mustang seat would fix that.

i also felt like i was 'in' the bike, rather than perched 'on top' of it. . .something that i guess i could get used to, but it felt weird.
    Makes handling really easy when your weight and the machine are one complete mass instead of one separate mass trying to move another.

In order to avoid weight on your tailbone just get a cruiser with standard mount pegs instead of forward pegs.