Cutting down Yoshi Pipe!!? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting down Yoshi Pipe!!?

Re: Cutting down Yoshi Pipe!!?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Really depends on what bike its for, alot of new bikes have catalytic converters and dont get much louder at all when cut because the cat is what is really keeping them quiet

Like an 06+ R6 you can pull the exhaust can competely off the bike and it wont change much
    I have a 95 zx7 hopefully comes out loud!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulza View Post
    I have a 95 zx7 hopefully comes out loud!
    If you cut anything more then an 1-3 inches off then it will be, I like to cut them about 40% off

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    If you cut anything more then an 1-3 inches off then it will be, I like to cut them about 40% off
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	25757

Thats it right there! I want to cut off probably half. Im sure the back will look a little cleaner after that too

My zx9 is pretty loud with the rs-3 so I'd imagine it would be much louder without half of the can on my garage floor

Depending on how old your pipe is (and hence, how much of the old muffling material has blown out or been packed out), it may not be that much louder after cutting it down if you are repacking the muffler at the same time. I cut 40% off my hindle and the noise level is still very acceptable with fresh packing at street speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by mma01 View Post
    Depending on how old your pipe is (and hence, how much of the old muffling material has blown out or been packed out), it may not be that much louder after cutting it down if you are repacking the muffler at the same time. I cut 40% off my hindle and the noise level is still very acceptable with fresh packing at street speeds.
    The bike only has 15k on it... and im not sure when exactly it was put on. Last owner had it since 1999 .. parked for like 11 years.

Anyone else willing to cut it??

Judging from the look of the bike, I think it will look better with a longer pipe. Your tail section is large, so I think it will flow. If u want louder, u can also remove the baffles.

I did an rs3 on my old bike. It was stainless steel, a pain in the arse to cut
    Resident Loudmouth

What are the pros/cons

of removing the baffles VS cutting the pipe?

Thanks!

just keep in mind the engineer guy that designed your engine had a bit of backpressure in mind and taking baffles and packing out can sometimes effect the way the engine runs , not just the sound. Be prepared to maybe fiddle with the setting on fuel to get it to run right.

Alright so I ended up doing it myself. Turned out to be alot easier than I thought!! Below are the results!! Cost around 20 bucks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	25828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	25829

No scratches or anything..just couldnt wait to try it so never cleaned it. What do I do about those 2 holes??

Thanks!

put a couple pop rivets in the holes. You could have rotated the can and put the holes to the inside, but you would have had the seam showing.

Rivets. Done.

Looks familiar :P Nice job. And yeah just put some RTV in there and pop a rivet in.
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

Quote Originally Posted by Spizzak View Post
    Looks familiar :P Nice job. And yeah just put some RTV in there and pop a rivet in.
    Haha, yeh i've seen it somewhere . and Thanks!

Yeah I agree looks silly on most bikes, I do run a long slip-on, but i also have a stock pipe thats cut way down and stuffed under the belly on my 929RR, i just put it on for a bit but it gets loud after a while of riding hearing it all the time!!! side exits are loud!

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Judging from the look of the bike, I think it will look better with a longer pipe. Your tail section is large, so I think it will flow. If u want louder, u can also remove the baffles.

I did an rs3 on my old bike. It was stainless steel, a pain in the arse to cut

Quote Originally Posted by GP_RZ View Post
    Yeah I agree looks silly on most bikes, I do run a long slip-on, but i also have a stock pipe thats cut way down and stuffed under the belly on my 929RR, i just put it on for a bit but it gets loud after a while of riding hearing it all the time!!! side exits are loud!
    It does look a little silly, but it originally served a functional purpose - if the exhaust protruded past the wheel then it would get majorly bent up or broken by stunters doing basically vertical (12 o'clock might be the term, not sure) wheelies.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Alright guys so after cutting the exhaust im having some problems..

The bike does not start.. i have to push start it about 3 times a week to get it running.

Today after a ride...it didnt turn on again..push started it and it worked fine for 10 minutes..
    then i turned it off...and same problem...push started it again...rode around for a bit..
    THEN it died first gear middle of an intersection... tried push starting wasnt working..hooked it up to a car.. it turned on for few minutes and died again... TRIED push starting again and it turned on and stayed on..i increased the idle to like 1600..and now im home and it wont turn on again...

put the battery on charge for now..
    checked the battery with the multimeter.. and it shows around 12...when i start it it drops to 11..
    also a friend is telling me its the carbs really out of sync after i cut down the pipe..( i knew it was going to happen) soooo what seems to be the real problem?

Does anyone have a sync tool i could borrow/loan around markham area? need it for a day..
    its a 95 zx7

THANKS! for the help!!
    Last edited by Bulza; 09-09-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Don't think you need a sync tool..it will be more or less the same after the chop as before. So unless it needed it before hand it shouldn't need it now. Your jetting is something else and it could be off. Having said that, your problem starting is likely unrelated. Sounds like your battery is not holding a charge or your alternator is not charging it. You need to assess your electrical system.

even if carbs are out of whack it'll still start up okay and run...try battery again, maybe replace it completely

this battery is two months old.. i put it on a tender tonight.. lets see what happens tomorrow. I will go to Canadian tire too to check if the battery is good and all.. Thanks!

Btw what about the spark plugs??