Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

Re: Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise

I just think for anyone considering riding in shorts and a t-shirt, do this first. Run as fast as you possibly can then dive and slide on your stomach, or back. Even go at such slow speeds, you'll get a rash with little bits of gravel dug in. If you think that's to slow, do it on a bicycle.
    Last edited by Amazon; 03-13-2012 at 01:57 AM.
    Not wearing gear while riding is like unprotected sex. Sooner or later you're going to get a rash!

Quote Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
    FTA: "The dominant noise source was the base of helmet between the chin bar and the neck of the rider. The use of a proprietary neck seal reduced inner helmet noise levels by around 4dB(A) at 120km/h. The neck seal was difficult to fit and on a number of occasions the wind pulled it from the helmet. These disadvantages may make this means of noise reduction unlikely to be used consistently in practice."

If I need to wear earplugs anyway, I'd rather have that extra bit of insurance. I always assumed FFs to be a bit noisier due to all the edges they have (visor opening, chin bar, vents).
    My RF-1100 has this, and it's a big difference... they say its for cold weather, but I use it all the time; I just crack the visor, or open more vents on really hot days.

I also use Earplugs anytime I'm going over 80 km/h

Maybe I'm just slow but what do they mean by "Occupational Rider"? That sounds like a pro that's on the bike all the time. Did they mean "Occasional"?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsay View Post
    Maybe I'm just slow but what do they mean by "Occupational Rider"? That sounds like a pro that's on the bike all the time. Did they mean "Occasional"?

Occupational would mean someone who has turned being a motorcyclist into a job. Demo teams, bike sales people, instructors, racers etc.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Still think the only "best of both worlds" solution to this debate without having multiple lids is the Evoline option from Shark - IF you can find one...
    2006 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    1985 Yamaha Virago 500 (for sale)

Why are people getting mad at what others wear? Don't undertand

I would never go monkey around up north without full gear but if I go to timmis to pickup a coffee I would wear jeans and a tshirt

To each its own

I do find myself riding with less gear since I bought the gixxer
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post
    Why are people getting mad at what others wear? Don't undertand

I would never go monkey around up north without full gear but if I go to timmis to pickup a coffee I would wear jeans and a tshirt

To each its own

+1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon View Post
    I just think for anyone considering riding in shorts and a t-shirt, do this first. Run as fast as you possibly can then dive and slide on your stomach, or back. Even go at such slow speeds, you'll get a rash with little bits of gravel dug in. If you think that's to slow, do it on a bicycle.
    I like that example. Simple and to the point.

Then by your logic you should be fully geared up running or riding a bicycle since you already own the gear and the risk is present- why not?

If you really think you are going to fall off on every motorcycle ride then I suggest another sport.

Riding in light clothes in hot weather brings with it it's own caution ( promotes less aggressive riding ) and advantages as well as enjoyment.
    If you want to put your cojones on display on every ride and corner, no matter how short or casual the ride .... by all means gear up all the time......whatever makes you feel "safe"
    Just don't expect others to share your fears or condone your fear mongering.

Some have more common sense.....
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Fear mongering.LOL.

The gear isn't out of mortal fear for every corner...it is precaution for the unknown, and acceptance of the risk, whether an accident happens or not, the risk is always present.
    It's not a fear that you will fall off. It is an acceptance that you "COULD" fall off....or get run over...or slip on a diesel spill in traffic....or hit gravel midcorner...or have a dog or deer run into you broadside Any, or all of these things could happen. Will they? Not likely. But the one time it does, imagine how nice it'd be to be able to wipe your own *** afterwards, instead of having a nursemaid do it for you.

Gear has a role in the sport.....Same as a seatbelt....or an airbag.

Every 4 wheeled vehicle I have owned for the past 15 yrs has had an airbag. Have I ever had one deploy? Nope. Then why have it? Is it becasue I am afraid I will rearend someone every time I pull outta my driveway?
    By your thinking I should remove the seat belts and airbags in my cars, causing myself to drive more carefully...and then since I am drving more carefully becasue I am putting myself more at risk due to the airbag's abscence, I should enjoy my drive more.

Some DO in fact have more common sense....Dunno why it's called common sense though, since it obviously isn't all that common.
    Last edited by omnivore; 03-22-2012 at 11:41 PM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---