Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise

Re: Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise

not everyone puts around on a scooter. most bikes dont have a windshield that works worth a damn in normal riding positions. so we need to wear a ff helmet.

if you dont want to wear a full face helmet that is your right. but i will be the first person to point and laugh at your messed up face.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlzzzzz! View Post
    1+ I practice this Gearing up routine: save face and hearing. Focus on the ride!
    I already wear hearing aids and know the importants signs in ASL
    Beer
    Alcohol
    Food
    Drink
    Sex
    Yes
    No

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    it's called a windshield.....
    getting geared up in 35 degree heat for a 10 minute ride to the pool at max 40kph - well ....sorry but that's over the top.

I wear the gear appropriate the circumstances....from shorts and tshirt to full armour and once in a while a full face but it's rare. I like the Bell as the drop down shield ( rarely used ) gives good coverage in the rain and cold but open most often. I prefer to keep my helmet on and chat with people and be able to interact with drivers and people along the way instead of being this faceless robot.
    Yep the windshield keeps you from getting the crap in the face.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Given the ATGATT attitude it seems some riders think they are going to fall off their bikes everytime they go out.
    Your imagination is over active.
    If you are that nervous - stay home.
    No. Its because ATGATT riders are smart enough to realize they MIGHT fall off there bikes each time they go for a ride.
    My imagination is fine. Its the statisics of bike/cage interactions I think about.
    So if you have something constructive to say, great. But if your going to preach - stay home.

PS. make a poll thread that has hearing loss vs wearing your face on your back, and see what the results are.
    "My motorcycle isn't all your mom rode."

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    Beer
    Alcohol
    Food
    Drink
    Sex
    Yes
    No
    <emphasis mine>

Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by twostroke View Post
    not everyone puts around on a scooter.
    Argumentum ad hominem - might want to do some research before suggesting things (hint: the OP doesn't only ride a scooter...).

I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Beer
    Alcohol
    Food
    Drink
    Sex
    Yes
    No
    A friend of mine is one of two people qualified to assess the deaf for ability to work, in the State of Alabama. I'm sure that she could teach you the more important signs like:

How much do you make?
    I'll have the lobster.
    Do you own or lease that Ferrari?

Quote Originally Posted by twostroke View Post
    not everyone puts around on a scooter. most bikes dont have a windshield that works worth a damn in normal riding positions. so we need to wear a ff helmet.

if you dont want to wear a full face helmet that is your right. but i will be the first person to point and laugh at your messed up face.
    (leaving out the objectionable image content)

Scooter or hyperbike, you can still hurt yourself. I knew a guy who ended up with a major concussion and shattered collarbone from hitting a curb in a parking lot, at maybe 15 MPH.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 03-07-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    A friend of mine is one of two people qualified to assess the deaf for ability to work, in the State of Alabama. I'm sure that she could teach you the more important signs like:

How much do you make?
    I'll have the lobster.

...I had to close my office door for that one...damn you...

How much do you make?
    I'll have the lobster.
    Sorry you lost me at the Ferrari... its got two wheels too many for my taste :P
    I more need stuff like...

Is your girlfriend bi?
    No your not welcome to join.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Is your girlfriend bi?
    Sorry, she's a heterosexual serial monogamist.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Sorry, she's a heterosexual serial monogamist.
    Damn
    :P

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Is your girlfriend bi?
    This thread has now become that much more interesting.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

getting geared up in 35 degree heat for a 10 minute ride to the pool at max 40kph - well ....sorry but that's over the top.
    Yep. That's where the rock that gets you usually comes from. Over the top of the windshield.

I wear the gear appropriate the circumstances....from shorts and tshirt to full armour and once in a while a full face but it's rare. I like the Bell as the drop down shield ( rarely used ) gives good coverage in the rain and cold but open most often. I prefer to keep my helmet on and chat with people and be able to interact with drivers and people along the way instead of being this faceless robot.
    No you don't. They don't make shorts or t-shirts that are appropriate for sliding down the pavement at 40 k.

It's your choice, but don't try to make it sound like it's a safe one.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

My Schuberth SR1 is rated at 88DB @ 100kmph! Pretty impressive and real world experience tells me it's the quietest I've owned so far.

These threads always go nowhere.It's all about personal choice.I went to South Carolina last week and rode a bunch with a good friend.He wears no lid and no gear,i wore full gear and full face shoei.He never said a word and neither did i.WE both had a great time.I took this pic is of my buddy Waff while i passed him going into some twisties.
    Oh,and the quiet helmet subject,i just put a new set of big *** speakers in my fliplid for the Wing.And they are really loud!!!!
    Last edited by Wingboy; 03-07-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Took one ride to get used to ear plugs. Now my wife finds them everywhere in the laundry.

As for quiet helmet, I got nothing. Skid lids and a modular HJC. I know the modular doesn't offer the protection of a true FF helmet so, I'll be on the look out for another helmet this season. Come to think of it though, the modular is pretty good for keeping sound in check. But, I'd recommend going to a full face. I'm a Dad. Do as I say, not as I do.

Well Baggsy you really shouldn't be riding if you are that afraid - all you come across as is a proselytizer for ATGATT and lots of people don't buy into the religion
    I have no intention of sliding in shorts and tshirt and haven't in 43 years of riding safely.

I DO think I might go sliding on gravel and mud and where appropriate gear.

••••

and quite frankly tired of the continuous sniping from you and you know exactly what I'm on about.
    What it "sounds like" to you is entirely irrelevant- don't attribute something that is a figment of your imagination.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 03-08-2012 at 06:32 AM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Sometimes it's not the helmet that gets you.....So just enjoy the ride.....

"I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

I gear up to warm up the oil for an oil change... anything can happen at any time. I got hit by a car coming back from my mail box on the next street, about 400 metres away from my house (I was out for a ride and was checking it on the way back), but even if I was going to take the bike to get the mail I'd gear up. Unfortunately I do have to share the road with others and not all of them know what they're doing.
    x

I don't - I ride for enjoyment and spontaneity is a big part of that.

Extending your logic you might as well wear your gear for a walk on the side walk or down the stairs or a bicycle ride.....after all accidents around the house injure a lot of people and why not wear the gear driving in your car.? You already own it - clearly it will do a better job protecting you falling down or in a car accident - why not wear it then?

after all anything can happen at any time.

Just ask the track rider who fell down the trap door at the Shed.
    certainly lucky he was wearing full track gear....
    is that a meaningful event?? no

ATGATT reminds me of nuclear power fears....over the top...big time.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Well Baggsy you really shouldn't be riding if you are that afraid - all you come across as is a proselytizer for ATGATT and lots of people don't buy into the religion
    I have no intention of sliding in shorts and tshirt and haven't in 43 years of riding safely.

I DO think I might go sliding on gravel and mud and where appropriate gear.

••••

and quite frankly tired of the continuous sniping from you and you know exactly what I'm on about.
    What it "sounds like" to you is entirely irrelevant- don't attribute something that is a figment of your imagination.
    Look, quite frankly I couldn't give a rat's behind if you wear a thong and a helmet and that's it.
    Wait, is that you at the Friday the 13ths? You're about the right age for it.
    But when you start telling people that shorts and a t-shirt is adequate protection for riding a motorcycle, I feel I have to say something. So continue on believing that I'm sniping if you like. But here's hoping you never regret your choice to not wear adequate protection.

Cheers
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.